Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Why I chose LBS over a top 3 US business school [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Why I chose LBS over a top 3 US business school
[b][url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/student-alumni-and-ambassadors/jennifer-silvestre]By Jennifer Silvestre, MBA 2023[/url][/b]

[img]https://www.london.edu/-/media/images/people/students/2021/jennifer_silvestre_512x386.jpeg[/img]

Whenever I talk to people about going to LBS, a few questions often come up about my decision to attend, especially as an American where the US created the blueprint for the MBA. To help those considering an [b][url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/mba]MBA[/url][/b] outside of the US or just giving it a cursory thought, I thought I’d write down my answers FAQ style. Applying to business school is already a hard and introspective journey, where sometimes you may not get all the answers you need. Although I hope my answers can provide you with more clarity, I hope they encourage you to dig even deeper and think through what you really want from your business school experience.

[b]Why did I choose and apply to business schools outside of the United States?[/b]

I was looking for a different experience altogether. When I was looking at US schools, it was basically a copy of my 4 years in undergrad, with the main difference being that it would be 2 years and with more debt. Additionally, while I was meeting US business school applicants and/or admitted students during the process, I often found that we had mutual friends in common, so I wasn’t expanding my network there. I really wanted to push myself and see what it would be like to live in a different country.

[list][*]While US schools say they prize international experience, the schools don’t have many international students. I also found that everyone generally stayed within their groups, with very few mixing with the international students. I wanted to learn more about life outside of the US and see what that is like, which is difficult to do in the US.  [/*][*]I also wanted international job opportunities, which while not impossible from the States, is much easier when I already have a student visa that allows me to work in the UK. [/*][*]Of course, the travel opportunities – much easier (and cheaper) from the UK than the States. [/*][/list]

[b]Why LBS specifically, especially over a top 3 US business school?[/b] 

[list][*]The Environment  [/*][/list]

Everyone is very collaborative. You often don’t feel the competitive aspect that you do in the States. For example, I went head-to-head with several friends on a number of roles during recruitment. Throughout the process, we were all openly sharing prep materials, interview styles, and even questions that were asked during the interview. It didn’t cross our minds that helping out a classmate would negatively impact me. We’re all here to see everyone do well. 

Moreover, my admitted class was the warmest and welcoming I had come across. They were the most accepting of me being on the fence in terms of my final school selection and did not judge or make negative comments like I experienced at US schools. Instead, they told me I was already part of the community and that I belonged there. 

[list][*]My Future Classmates  [/*][/list]

I knew the classmates that LBS attracted were not ones I was going to be able to have met in the States. Now, I have friends from all over the world who have opened my eyes to different ways of living and working. One stand-out is my friend who is from China, lived and worked in Japan for 11 years, has written poetry in both Chinese and Japanese, and is now working on finding her flow/audience in English. Although she was a consultant in her former life, our conversations rarely visit her profession and I’m honored to call her a close friend.  

[list][*]Flexibility within the programme   [/*][/list]

The flexibility in the programme gave me time to think and curate my experience. This has been immensely helpful when I’ve had to rearrange my scheduling to accommodate new opportunities, while still getting the MBA experience I wanted. With the flexible scheduling, I’ve been able to:
– Take on 2 summer internships by extending my vacation time
– Select a short exchange (~3 months)
– Shift my track from being more strategy / data analytics focused to entrepreneurship, especially after having participated in Launchpad, the Entrepreneurship Club’s pre-accelerator

[list][*]Novel Experiences  [/*][/list]

Being in a completely different country with easy access to other geographies ensured that I would be able to create a whole host of different experiences that I knew would not be so easy to achieve from the States.

[b]Did I have any hesitations in applying to LBS?[/b] 

Absolutely! This was a big life decision, a 2-year commitment, so I did not make this decision lightly. The three main concerns I had were: 

[list][*]LBS’ reputation not being as well-known in the US [/*][*]Leaving my family/ the comforts of my country
Even though I would’ve been moving to a new city within the States, it’s easier to get access to my family and the things that make it home, especially just being 2 hours away. [/*][*]Job opportunities that would be available to me due to needing a visa and Brexit [/*][/list]

Initially, I thought that my reasons for pursuing an MBA in Europe were strong enough that these considerations would not have had much weight in my final decision. However, as the offers came in, I really had to consider what it meant to do an MBA in Europe in practicality. These concerns really made my final decision tough but as I spoke to LBS students and alums during my final decision, they really eased a lot of these fears and showed me all the possibilities that I would leave behind if I walked away from LBS. 

What they mentioned: 

[list][*]“LBS’ reputation not being as well-known in the US”
LBS alums are everywhere, the right people will recognize your degree [/*][/list]

[list][*]“Leaving my family and the comforts of my country”
The MBA is about growing as a person and the change is only temporary if you ever want to head back home after the MBA [/*][/list]

[list][*]“Job opportunities that would be available to me due to needing a visa and Brexit”
You won’t be limited based on this, there will be opportunities in not only London but in other regions e.g. Dubai, Germany, Netherlands [/*][/list]

[b]Do I wish I had gone to the top 3 US school?[/b]

Not at all. I’ve had experiences that I didn’t expect to and I know I had the opportunity to because I was at LBS. 

One that comes to mind is my trip to the arctic circle in Sweden. If you know me, you know there are a few things I dislike, being cold and submerging my head underwater. Not only did I do fun activities such as dog sledding, snowmobiling, and hanging out at the Ice Hotel but I also pushed myself to dunk myself into the waters of a frozen lake as the recommended activity while saunaing. While there are polar bear swims, I never thought I would be one to willingly get in cold water MULTIPLE times.  

LBS truly has opened the world up to me, I’m not confined to learning just in the UK and on topics that are academic or career related. I’m also learning about myself and how the boundaries that I’ve previously placed on myself have been limiting as well as how far I can truly go. 

[b]Any last minute advice for those considering the move?[/b] 

Really think through what life experiences you want to gain, not just professionally or academically. The MBA is one of the last chances where you can experiment risk-free and can take that time to explore all that is out there at a moment’s notice. 

If you’re worried about recruiting for the States as an American, have no fear. The US will always be open, and they still recognize LBS as a leading school for the MBA programme. Moreover, having the guts to move to another country and immerse yourself in another culture says more about your character and the type of person you are that goes beyond what a resume / CV can tell you. Business is global, we no longer live in completely isolated markets.

Just do it! You get to graduate from a top global programme, meet some of the most interesting people from such different places, and seize opportunities all over the world.

If any of this resonated with you, apply! If I haven’t answered the questions you were hoping to learn more about, feel free to [b][email=jsilvestre.mba2023@london.edu]reach out[/email][/b]. Good luck and I hope to welcome you as part of the LBS community!

The post [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu/why-i-chose-lbs-over-us-business-school/]Why I chose LBS over a top 3 US business school[/url] appeared first on [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu]Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School[/url].
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Masters in Analytics and Management: A look back at the programme [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Masters in Analytics and Management: A look back at the programme
As we approach a new academic year and welcome a new intake of Masters in Analytics and Management students, we touched base with Rory a MAM 2022 graduate, to share his reflections on the MAM programme and his time at London Business School.

“The MAM programme is ground-breaking for a student with an economic-background like me. This programme has demonstrated how cutting-edge data science and machine learning models can be applied to drive insights, transformation and impact in the corporate world.”

Why did you decided to pursue the Masters in Analytics and Management at London Business School?

As an Economics student, I was always fascinated by the quantitative side of economics. In econometrics and quantitative methods, I could perform rigorous analyses and obtain concrete results that just spoke to me. My interest in quantitative analysis naturally motivated me to learn programming languages and expand my analytics skills. However, it has never been my career aspiration to become a data scientist. Instead, I have always been more drawn toward being a business analyst with the skills and commercial awareness.

The Masters in Analytics and Management programme at LBS was the perfect programme for me. It has well-structured Data Science, Machine Learning and Data Analytics modules designed to be applied in a business context. Furthermore, the complementary business modules were essential for students from non-business backgrounds to grasp the concepts of business management.

Key factors including the atmosphere of the business school and its amazing alumni network played a role in my decision to choose LBS. In comparison to research-oriented masters programmes, the MAM focused on practicality and career development, which was what I was looking for. Being surrounded by like-minded people, I felt I would benefit from the support from my peers and alumni. Lastly, I had planned to utilise the highly appreciated career services at LBS to professionally develop myself and build my career. This also contributed to the reason why I decided to pursue MAM at LBS.

How did you prepare for your MAM application?

Firstly, I contacted the LBS recruitment team for an informal CV review session and prepared for the GMAT exam. Then I approached a few LBS alumni and friends who were studying at LBS to understand the LBS culture and learn about their experiences.

Once I decided to pursue the MAM programme, I attended an online information session to hear more about the programme from the student ambassadors. Then, I followed up with one of the ambassadors to have a one-on-one session to learn more about the programme. During this process, I looked for the unique contributions that I could bring to the LBS community. I researched the experiences of LBS students that I could relate to and would appreciate if I was admitted. These factors, combined with my personal motivations, were included in my application essay, which was then proofread and reviewed. The thought process behind these answers and my notes were then used to prepare for my alumni interview. I also finished a data analytics internship at a big-4 consultancy to understand the industry and test my fit.

What preparation did you do prior to starting the MAM programme?

Prior to starting the MAM programme, I self-taught in some R programming online and completed all the required pre-programme modules. For students with no prior experience in R programming, it is beneficial to start learning R before the MAM programme begins. Career-wise, I attended the summer series sessions prepared by LBS career services. In the CV review sessions, I had a through look at CV with the careers team. In the story-building sessions, I learned how to extract my personal strengths and prepare for the self-introduction part of interviews.

Lastly, I joined one of the sundowner events that took place in my home country, where I met my then future classmates and students from other programmes as well as the alumni in the region.

What are your key highlights from the programme and your overall experience at LBS?

I had my LondonLAB project with the UK’s largest luxury department store on Customer Experience Value. I was grateful for this project as it expanded my horizon on the applicability of data analytics in businesses. Customer Experience value is largely extracted from customer surveys, which seems unappealing and tedious as a standalone concept. However, given the full autonomy of the project and full data from the client, I was able to utilise the skills taught in MAM programme, to provide a much more insightful and comprehensive picture of customer experiences. The diverse range of perspectives and business casing opportunities, motivated me to explore the data in greater depth and think of truly impactful proposals for the client.

As a result of the successful delivery of the project and my client’s overall appreciation, this inspired me to consider a career path in data analytics or business analytics.

The MAM is ground-breaking for an economic-background student like me. This programme has demonstrated how cutting-edge data science and machine learning models can be applied to drive insights, transformation and impact in the corporate world.

My long-term professional objective is to develop myself and become a well-experienced finance practitioner. The MAM programme has allowed me to acquire the fundamental programming skills and financial knowledge to kickstart my career. Furthermore, the business management modules in the MAM programme especially the LondonLAB, had a significant impact on my perspective. The analytical and practical side of the programme introduced me to brand new ideas and career opportunities that I may not have considered relevant or suitable for me one year ago.

Check out more MAM student profiles here. Find out more about the Masters in Analytics and Management programme and how to apply here. Check out our upcoming MAM events [url=https://www.london.edu/events/calendar#sort=%40eventstarts%20ascending&f:programme=[MAM]]here[/url] and register to attend.

If you have any questions, please contact our MAM Recruitment Team at mam@london.edu. To request an informal CV review, contact our recruitment team or submit it via the LBS website.

The post Masters in Analytics and Management: A look back at the programme appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
2022 Congregation ceremonies and celebrations [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: 2022 Congregation ceremonies and celebrations
In June we were delighted to welcome over 8000 graduates from the classes of 2020, 2021 and 2022, and their family and friends, to attend our graduation ceremonies and on campus celebrations.

After our graduates weren’t able to celebrate their achievements with us due to Covid-19 it was brilliant to see so many return to receive proper recognition for their achievements.

Congratulations to all our graduates!

A special thank you to Karen Hatch Photography

The post 2022 Congregation ceremonies and celebrations appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
PROJECT AASHA 2022 [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: PROJECT AASHA 2022
[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Team-Picture-Kick-Off-1-1024x598.jpg[/img]

The co-leads of Project Aasha 2022, [b][url=https://www.linkedin.com/in/kotharisurbhi/]Surbhi Kothari[/url][/b] MiM2022 and [b][url=https://www.linkedin.com/in/jakob-winkler/]Jakob Winkler[/url][/b] MiM2022, share how they put leadership into practice with this unique [url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/experiential-learning][b]experiential learning[/b][/url] opportunity. Aasha means “hope” in Hindi. A fitting name for an initiative where [b][url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/masters-in-management/programme-content]Early Career[/url][/b] students, through impact consulting projects, can bring hope and positive impact by collaborating with social entrepreneurs in India. Project Aasha runs in partnership with Head Held High (HHH). HHH is an incubator for social changemakers that develops programmes to help households in rural India move out of poverty. The Student-led Learning team and [b][url=https://www.london.edu/faculty-and-research/wheeler-institute-for-business-and-development/shaping-business-education#Engaging]Wheeler Institute[/url][/b]support the students throughout the process.

This year, Surbhi and Jakob took ownership of Project Aasha. They were responsible for all aspects of the project, including working with partners, selecting projects, and recruiting teams of student consultants. Each project team used their business knowledge and skills to help a social enterprise (a changemaker) over four months. The project culminated in a [url=https://londonbusinessschool1000.sharepoint.com/:b:/s/ExperientialLearningTestTeam/EanotZ-SUt1Pgtr2rAyI65wBvLOL27F_dse2YPByuSHqiQ?e=q9cBFy][b]final presentation[/b][/url] which took place on 25th April 2022.

[b]Why did you apply to lead Project Aasha?  [/b]

[b]Surbhi[/b]: Since high school, I have engaged in social impact activities. Whether as a tutor to neighbourhood children or a mentor to aspiring entrepreneurs in villages, I firmly believe that we can create an impact at every level. However, I wanted to understand creating impact in a business context. I wanted to leverage my social impact experience and combine it with my business school learnings. Leading Project Aasha would help me do that and, at the same time, allow me to hone my leadership skills in an international setting.

[b]Jakob[/b]: My primary motivation to become co-lead at Project Aasha was to develop my leadership skills and engage meaningfully with real social impact businesses in India. Project Aasha was the ideal learning experience to act in a leadership position in a safe environment. On the other hand, it also allowed me to utilize my previous work for social enterprises and create value for the students and changemakers.

[b]What was most valuable to you about leading Project Aasha? [/b]

[b]Surbhi[/b]: For me, the most valuable aspect of leading Project Aasha was supporting our stakeholders in achieving their goals. Through Project Aasha, we paved a path for our changemakers to meet their business goals. At the same time, through the in-project activities of skills sessions and workshops, we helped our student teams work on their professional goals.

[b]Jakob: [/b]Personally, the learning experience for all parties involved was most valuable for me to witness. The students faced tough business challenges presented by the changemakers. It was incredible to see the value they created together with the changemaker to help them sustain their business.

[b]Has any learning in the classroom helped you with managing this Project? [/b]

[b]Surbhi[/b]: LBS courses such as Personal and Professional Growth, Performing in Organisations and Business and Communication Skills were vital in developing my interpersonal and soft skills. These helped me collaborate better with the team and communicate effectively with the stakeholders. As a project leader, balancing the stakeholders’ expectations was a key responsibility.

[b]Jakob: [/b]As with almost anything at LBS, teamwork is essential to Project Aasha. The classroom laid the foundation for getting the most out of collaboration, and I could apply this at Project Aasha as well. Precise communication and the ability to listen were valuable skills transferred from the classroom into a more experiential context.

[b]How has leading Project Aasha improved your leadership skills? [/b]

[b]Surbhi[/b]: For Project Aasha this year, we adopted a completely hands-off approach. We took a back seat to give the teams more responsibility and ownership. This was a huge test of my delegation and trust within a team setting. It pushed me to step aside and drive success through the team’s actions. Regular information transmission between parties also helped nurture my communication and interpersonal skills.

[b]Jakob: [/b]Co-leading Project Aasha improved my leadership skills in two ways: First, I learned how to manage stakeholder relationships. Project Aasha involves many parties from inside and outside of LBS, so meeting all different needs was challenging. But with constant mentorship from LBS and the teamwork between Surbhi and me, I got to enjoy balancing the various factors of Project Aasha. Second, I learned to be a sparring partner for my teams. As the students were highly competent and motivated already, I learned to act more as a mentor and guiding partner with an extra pair of eyes.

[b]What changes did you implement this year? [/b]

[b]Surbhi[/b]: The most significant victory for us this year is setting the foundation for the impact assessment of Project Aasha. Project Aasha is primarily an impact consulting project. Through an impact assessment phase, we can follow up on the recommendations made for the changemakers and note feedback for future years. By outlining Project Aasha’s mission, and the initial impact assessment surveys, we have tried to clarify its goals and impact. Further, we have received responses from changemakers that successfully implemented the recommendations or materials provided by our teams. They complimented the teams on their thorough work and robust insights.

[b]Jakob[/b]: I can only agree with Surbhi that we were trying to establish a more long-term vision for Project Aasha at LBS and make it an essential part of the student environment. It has been the five years of Project Aasha, with the past two years running the Project remotely. We wanted to reiterate the purpose and value-add of Project Aasha that the next cohort can hopefully build on.

[b]What will you take onwards with you after graduating from LBS? [/b]

[b]Surbhi[/b]: It’s the most cliché answer, but for me, like most others, it is the people and the exceptional experiences I have had with them. In professional, academic and social scenarios, I have had the opportunity to interact with the brightest and kindest people, and I have learned something from each person and experience.

[b]Jakob: [/b]I take from LBS that learning is a constant process that does not only happen in the classroom but even more so when applying knowledge in other contexts. Project Aasha was a perfect opportunity to learn from each other and develop a new skill set!

To find out how you can get involved in Project Aasha, please email [email=student-led@london.edu][b]student-led@london.edu[/b][/email]

The post [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu/project-aasha-2022/]PROJECT AASHA 2022[/url] appeared first on [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu]Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School[/url].
Director
Director
Send PM
August Recruitment Events [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: August Recruitment Events
Do you want to meet our team and learn more about our programmes? We have some really exciting events coming up this month that will answer all your questions to give you some insight into studying at London Business School.

UK & IrelandDate MBA Overview05/08/2022Q&A with the Early Career Recruitment and Admissions Team09/08/2022Early Career Talk and Tour on Campus12/08/2022Masters in Finance Talk and Tour on Campus12/08/2022MBA Overview12/08/2022MBA Open Day13/08/2022Belonging at LBS: Meet the Women in Business Club15/08/2022Optimising your career with TPI: Fair Pay16/08/2022MBA Open Evening24/08/2022Early Careers Open Evening24/08/2022Masters in Finance Open Evening24/08/2022SLN: Introduction to the programme25/08/2022MBA Overview26/08/2022The benefits of the Executive MBA: Business Education for non-Business Professionals 31/08/2022EuropeCoffee Chats in Paris 26/08/2022The MBA Tour – Paris 27/08/2022Coffee Chats in Milan 29/08/2022Meet LBS in Milan 29/08/2022The MBA Tour – Milan 30/08/2022Coffee Chats in Frankfurt 31/08/2022North America & CanadaCoffee Chats in New York16/08/2022 – 17/08/2022Forte Forum in New York16/08/2022Forte Forum in New York17/08/2022Forte Forum in Boston18/08/2022Coffee Chats in Boston19/08/2022Forte Forum in San Francisco22/08/2022Coffee Chats in San Francisco23/08/2022Coffee Chats in Chicago25/08/2022Forte Forum in Chicago25/08/2022Coffee Chats in Washington DC29/08/2022Forte Forum in Washington DC29/08/2022The MBA Tour – Mexico City 13/08/2022Coffee Chats in Mexico City 15/08/2022Meet LBS in Mexico City 15/08/2022South AmericaCoffee Chats in Sao Paulo05/08/2022The MBA Tour – Sao Paulo 06/08/2022Coffee Chats in Santiago 08/08/2022Meet LBS in Santiago 08/08/2022Coffee Chats in Lima 10/08/2022 – 11/08/2022Meet LBS in Lima 10/08/2022Sloan Alumni Lunch in Sao Paulo 18/08/2022Premier EMBA – Latin America Online Event 27/08/2022Australia & New ZealandMBA Tour – Australia and New Zealand03/08/2022

The post August Recruitment Events appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Were from everywhere A bittersweet month of farewells and a reminder o [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: We’re from everywhere – A bittersweet month of farewells and a reminder of the biggest value of LBS
By Julia Ferreira Drummond, MBA2022

July was full of big events – graduation week, family in London, the first week at Amazon and hearing of friends’ “back-to-work” experiences. But mostly, the past weeks have been all about farewells – friends going to Brazil, Colombia, Amsterdam, Dubai, the US, Canada, Mexico, and so on.

It is a bittersweet feeling saying “goodbye” to friends and classmates – it is sad realising they will no longer be around for a coffee catch-up or weekend plan, but I couldn’t be prouder and happier seeing each of them pursue their dreams and personal and professional goals.

The Financial Times’ recent post about the LBS graduation stated that we “will change the way the world does business” – I am sure we will prove them right with representatives of our cohort going literally everywhere around the globe.

It is funny how on every trip or night out people would ask our group “Where are you guys from?” and there would be a pause. “Brazil, Argentina, Finland, India, Peru, Indonesia… you know what? We’re from everywhere!”. A group of 530 people from over 60 nationalities, who had made London their home for two years and have taught each other how to be more respectful, inclusive, better listeners, professionals and friends are now making their way back into the corporate world – this just reminds me of the biggest value of LBS: its truly diverse cohort!

We are now transitioning into “Alumni”, which for me means being an ambassador for all that LBS (and especially my cohort) taught me about being a truly global citizen and open to learning from others’ experiences and perspectives. To my classmates and friends staying in London: I can’t wait to see you all for our next get-together and for those leaving: I’ll see you around the world!

Class of 2022 yearbook: pages full of highlights and memories.

The post We’re from everywhere – A bittersweet month of farewells and a reminder of the biggest value of LBS appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
A Review of our Early Career Programme Portfolios [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: A Review of our Early Career Programme Portfolios
We caught up with Elizabeth Taiwo, Recruitment and Admissions Manager – MiM & GMiM Early Career programmes, to discuss what London Business School looks for in an applicant and what each of our Early Career programmes have to offer.

If you are a recent graduate looking for a business Masters degree, our portfolio of Early Career Programmes covering management, finance and analytics might be for you. Designed to kickstart a career, students will join us up to two years after graduating, thereby having 0-2 years of postgraduate work experience. This ensures that they can maximize the curriculum tailored towards this early stage of their career.

The Masters in Managementcan be thought of as the younger sibling of our MBA. As a general business programme, it covers a variety of topics from Financial Accounting to Performing in Organisations. A good level of quantitative skills is needed, however, the broad nature of this programme would be beneficial whether you’re coming from a business background or not.

The Global Masters in Management is a two-year programme with an enhanced international focus. The first year will be spent doing the Masters in Management with us, with Chinese Mandarin lessons built in. In the second year, students join our partner Fudan School of Management in Shanghai. There, they’ll work towards a Masters in International Business. This immersive programme is especially suited to anyone with a keen interest in the Asian markets and/or cultures.

The Masters in Financial Analysis is our pre-experience finance programme with courses such as Financial Markets and Data Analytics for Finance. Whether you are targeting a career in finance or simply looking for a strong quantitative curriculum, this programme has it covered.

The Masters in Analytics and Management combines management, machine learning and data analytics. Courses such as Strategy and Data Visualisation and Storytelling teach students how to interpret data and provide practical insights. With these highly sought-after skills, they can bridge the gap between business context and data science.

Each programme allows students to tailor their academic experience with access to a portfolio of electives, from which they will choose three. With experiential elements such as the Global Experience, LondonLAB (G/MiM and MAM) and London Business Challenge Week (MFA), there are plenty of opportunities to put classroom learnings into practice.

Lastly, our optional fourth term (MiM, MFA and MAM) provides a four-month extension to the programme experience, giving the option of taking on more electives or going on an international exchange with one of our global partner schools.

This is a quick summary of our Early Career Programmes. If one or more of these programmes interest you, feel free to reach out to my colleagues and me in the Recruitment Team. Why not start with an informal CV review? Submit your CV to get tailored advice based on your profile.

The post A Review of our Early Career Programme Portfolios appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
A Review of our Graduate Masters Programmes [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: A Review of our Graduate Masters Programmes
We caught up with Elizabeth Taiwo, Recruitment and Admissions Manager – MiM & GMiM Early Career programmes, to discuss what London Business School looks for in an applicant and what each of our Early Career programmes have to offer.

If you are a recent graduate looking for a business Masters degree, our portfolio of Early Career Programmes covering management, finance and analytics might be for you. Designed to kickstart a career, students will join us up to two years after graduating, thereby having 0-2 years of postgraduate work experience. This ensures that they can maximize the curriculum tailored towards this early stage of their career.

The Masters in Managementcan be thought of as the younger sibling of our MBA. As a general business programme, it covers a variety of topics from Financial Accounting to Performing in Organisations. A good level of quantitative skills is needed, however, the broad nature of this programme would be beneficial whether you’re coming from a business background or not.

The Global Masters in Management is a two-year programme with an enhanced international focus. The first year will be spent doing the Masters in Management with us, with Chinese Mandarin lessons built in. In the second year, students join our partner Fudan School of Management in Shanghai. There, they’ll work towards a Masters in International Business. This immersive programme is especially suited to anyone with a keen interest in the Asian markets and/or cultures.

The Masters in Financial Analysis is our pre-experience finance programme with courses such as Financial Markets and Data Analytics for Finance. Whether you are targeting a career in finance or simply looking for a strong quantitative curriculum, this programme has it covered.

The Masters in Analytics and Management combines management, machine learning and data analytics. Courses such as Strategy and Data Visualisation and Storytelling teach students how to interpret data and provide practical insights. With these highly sought-after skills, they can bridge the gap between business context and data science.

Each programme allows students to tailor their academic experience with access to a portfolio of electives, from which they will choose three. With experiential elements such as the Global Experience, LondonLAB (G/MiM and MAM) and London Business Challenge Week (MFA), there are plenty of opportunities to put classroom learnings into practice.

Lastly, our optional fourth term (MiM, MFA and MAM) provides a four-month extension to the programme experience, giving the option of taking on more electives or going on an international exchange with one of our global partner schools.

This is a quick summary of our Early Career Programmes. If one or more of these programmes interest you, feel free to reach out to my colleagues and me in the Recruitment Team. Why not start with an informal CV review? Submit your CV to get tailored advice based on your profile.

The post A Review of our Graduate Masters Programmes appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Masters in Finance: How to submit a strong early application for the 2 [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Masters in Finance: How to submit a strong early application for the 2023 intake
Applications for the Masters in Finance (MiF) programme starting in August 2023 are open! As our first application deadline on Tuesday 27th September is fast approaching, we wanted to guide you through how to get ahead of the race by submitting a strong, early application

Applications are highly competitive in the later rounds, therefore we encourage you to submit your application as early as possible. This also increases your chances of being considered for our [url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/masters-in-finance-full-time/fees-financing-and-scholarships][b]scholarships[/b][/url].

The most important thing before starting your application is to do your research:

[list][*]Get a thorough understanding of the MiF by visiting our website and [b][url=https://www.london.edu/download-a-brochure?itemId=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&servicePageReferer=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123]downloading our brochure.[/url] [/b][/*][*]Learn more about the student body and career impact by downloading our [url=https://www.london.edu/download-an-employment-report?itemId=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&servicepagereferer=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&FormMode=employment_report][b]employment report[/b][/url]. [/*][*]Develop your awareness of the MiF student experience by speaking to our [url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/student-alumni-and-ambassadors#sort=%40profilesurname%20ascending][b]Current Students, Ambassadors and Alumni[/b][/url]. [/*][*]Have your questions answered live during one of our many [url=https://www.london.edu/events/calendar#sort=%40eventstarts%20ascending][b]events[/b][/url].[/*][/list]

We in the MiF Recruitment Team also help and support you across the research and applying stages. If you have any questions, please email us at [email=mif@london.edu][b]mif@london.edu[/b][/email]. You can [url=https://www.london.edu/submit-cv?itemId=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&servicepagereferer=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123][b]submit your profile for review[/b][/url], allowing us to informally assess your eligibility for the programme. We also host one-to-one consultations, where we get the chance to have more in-depth conversations around your experience in order for us to provide you with tailored application support.

Once you have completed your research, the next step is to [url=https://www.london.edu/apply?programmeApplyOnlineParameterValue=5&apply=true&itemId=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123&servicePageReferer=557e20b2-4bd4-4140-9270-3831b8753123][b]start your [/b]application.[/url] You will be required to fill out our online application form, which involves submitting a GMAT or GRE score, two essay questions, a one page CV, your academic transcripts and two professional references.

Applications are reviewed holistically, therefore all aspects of your application are measured equally by the MiF Admissions Committee. Below is an explanation of the individual application requirements in more detail.

[b]GMAT/GRE[/b]

So we can assess your quantitative ability to ensure you can keep up with the rigor of the programme, we require a GMAT or GRE score. We have no preference between GMAT or GRE. A strong GMAT score is 650 or above, and for GRE we look for around 160 in the quantitative section, and 155 in the verbal section. You can also submit your application in advance of GMAT or GRE as we do make conditional offers.

For a small number of candidates, we waive the GMAT/GRE requirement. If you have cleared CFA Level II then you will automatically receive a GMAT/GRE waiver. We also grant GMAT/GRE waivers to candidates with strong grades at undergraduate and postgraduate level, especially those who have studied quantitative subjects and who have outstanding professional finance work experience. Professional qualifications like CFA Level I, FRM, CPA and ACCA will increase your chances of getting a waiver. To apply for a GMAT/GRE waiver, please share your CV and your undergraduate and postgraduate transcripts with us at [email=mif@london.edu]mif@london.edu[/email].

[b]Two essay questions[/b]

Our two essay questions are focused on why you are interested in studying the Masters in Finance at LBS, and how you will contribute to our community. Remember, there is no right or wrong answer. Use the essays to tell us your story, and to highlight your personality. Demonstrate your leadership potential, your global mind-set, and showcase your academic capabilities.

[b]CV and transcripts[/b]

You must include a one page CV[url=https://www.london.edu/-/media/files/programme-files/master-courses/mif/cv-template-and-notes_mif_apply.docx?la=en] in our recommended CV template[/url] and your academic transcripts. We require transcripts from your undergraduate and any postgraduate degrees. If your transcripts are not in English, they will need to be translated.

[b]References[/b]

We require one reference from you, and this should ideally be professional i.e. by someone you have worked with and who knows you very well. The seniority of your referee does not matter as much as the quality of your reference. Please note that these need to be submitted before we can start reviewing your application. You should give your referees sufficient time to prepare and submit the reference, and spend time explaining your motivations to them, so that they can complete the reference thoroughly.

Once you have submitted your application, the Admissions team will inform you about whether you have been selected for an interview or not. Interviews are conducted by our Alumni. For a deeper insight into the interview stage, take a look at our blog[b][url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu/interviewing-for-the-mif-everything-you-need-to-know/]here. [/url] [/b]

Please see all application deadlines for our 2023 intake [url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/masters-in-finance-full-time/apply#Application-deadlines][b]here[/b].[/url]

If you have any questions or require further information, please contact us at [email=mif@london.edu][b]mif@london.edu[/b][/email]

Best of luck with your application!

The post [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu/masters-in-finance-how-to-submit-a-strong-early-application-for-the-2023-intake/]Masters in Finance: How to submit a strong early application for the 2023 intake[/url] appeared first on [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu]Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School[/url].
Director
Director
Send PM
How I got into London Business School on the MAM programme [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: How I got into London Business School on the MAM programme
6 things to keep in mind while building your profile.

In my third year of undergrad, I decided that I wanted to pursue my graduate studies in business (for context: I just finished my engineering degree). Ivy league schools were nothing but a dream. I remember doing rigorous research on the students who got in, comparing where I stood, and writing down my goals on a whiteboard. There was so much left to do: I had to get my grades up, prove my leadership and teamwork skills, prepare for standardised tests, and continue my extracurriculars. Fast forward two years, and I will begin my Master’s in Analytics and Management at LBS this August.

As I reflect on the entire journey, I enjoyed every bit of it. The application process not only pushed me out of my comfort zone but also helped me explore different possibilities. Profile building is an exploratory journey where you learn more about yourself. It doesn’t just make you ponder about your ambition or your professional career, it makes you dig deeper into your roots and find your purpose (if you do it right).

For everyone applying for graduate programs, it will be stressful but here are a few points to keep in mind while you are building your profile.

How to build your profile:

There is never a single “ideal” profile. Every individual is unique, with their own skillsets and background. But to increase the chances of acceptance, there are 6 broad categories or buckets that you can work towards. If you aren’t very strong in one, you can always make up for it with the rest of them (along with your essays and standardised tests). You don’t have to fill every bucket or fill just one; your acceptance will depend on your entire application and the admission committee.

1.Academics: Maintaining a GPA above 3.3/4 is ideal. Although, while a high GPA shows your hard work towards the course curriculum, a lower GPA is not a deal breaker as long as you make up for it with the rest of your profile. If you are at the end of your degree or have finished it, the best way to compensate for your GPA would be to score high on the GRE/GMAT and to improve the rest of your profile (which I will talk about in the next few sections).

While you can influence the rest of the sections of your profile (pick and choose your experiences), submitting your academic results is mandatory.

2. Internships/Work experience: Every work experience matters. If you do any freelance, part-time jobs, or summer or spring internships; add them to your CV.

While applying to a business school, you need to show how you are inclined towards business regardless of what your undergrad degree is in. The school needs to know that you are serious about a career in business and that you are working towards it. Having work experience or internships in the same domain is a great way of doing that.

For example, I did 3 internships in business management as an engineering student and reflected the same in my application to emphasise my interest to pursue business. If you are a working professional in a non-business role, try to take up a few more management responsibilities that you can use to explain your interests in business studies.

Start your own side hustle! 

This way, you don’t have to wait for summer to gain work experience. It’s a great method for learning and owning responsibility. For example, I started my side hustle, Athena Mentorship, in the second year of my undergrad to explore my options and become financially independent. I believe that it was a unique and significant addition to my profile apart from the internships. — Your own organisation will give you an edge. I’ve attached an article on how I created a side hustle, hope it helps!

You don’t have to have it all figured out, you don’t have to decide on a niche, but showing your interest in business is required.

3. Community Service: Through community service, you get a chance to show the admission committee your values and principles. It shows your sense of social responsibility and a heart for giving back to society. Additionally, all the learnings from this experience must be leveraged in your essays to elaborate on who you are.

Community service can include organising cleaning drives, teaching underprivileged students, hosting fundraisers for social causes, vaccination drives for stray animals, volunteering etc.

4. Extra-curricular: Most business schools value how you will contribute to the community once you are accepted. The extra-curricular section is for you to demonstrate your talents and abilities. It bolsters your time management and teamwork skills. If you dance, play instruments or sports, sing, speak multiple languages, do photography, make music, design, paint, etc., add it to your CV!

Extra-curricular contributions to the college community are also valued a lot. For example, if you sing or play instruments, then try being a part of your university band, and participating in events.

5. Leadership: Business schools aim to build future leaders. Showing leadership potential in your profile is one way to show the admission committee that you are the right fit. There are a couple of different ways to show the same:

• Build your own organisation: When I say organisation, it can be a club, a start-up, a social-service organisation, or even an online platform. You will need to emphasise how you took ownership of different activities and how you led your team.
  • Head college teams: Participate in university events and head your team. This can be a competition or event organisation — You can head your dance team in a competition, head the organisation of a fundraiser in your university, or even head your group projects and pitch presentations. If these experiences don’t make it to your resume, they will add a lot of value when you write your essays.

6. Others: Other ways to enhance your profile are projects, research papers, and international exposure. International exposure can vary from conferences to an exchange semester.

Conclusion

There is no strict rule to building your profile. Don’t look at profile building as something that has to be done for acceptance into a business school (don’t focus only on the destination). Do it for the experience; learn in the process. My first internships weren’t for my applications, they were for me to recognise my likes and dislikes, to understand myself.

Once again, your acceptance is entirely dependent on the admission committee. View this article as a couple of ideas on what you can do to get more exposure before you apply. You will be surprised at how much you pick up from each of these experiences.

I will be writing blogs on how to explore, how to find internships outside your domain, what to keep in mind while writing application essays, and a lot more. Follow to stay updated!

Also, feel free to add me on LinkedIn and connect with me, happy to chat.

The post How I got into London Business School on the MAM programme appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
What is London LAB? [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: What is London LAB?
We spoke to Marianna Taki, MAM2022 about her London LAB experience at LBS and what the new MAM class should expect.

When I was first admitted to LBS as a Masters in Analytics and Management (MAM) student, one of the things that I looked forward to most was LondonLAB. I didn’t know what to expect at first, but I realised that this part of the programme would give me the opportunity to combine all the data, business, and communication skills that I would develop during the programme and bring it all together in a real-life business project. And that’s exactly what happened.

LondonLAB – What is it?

Every MAM student is required to complete a 10-week live business project in the final term. The project focuses on solving a real-life challenge faced by a client, using all the knowledge and skills gathered throughout the year.

To start, we were briefed on the different clients and projects and submitted our project preferences based on interest. We were then assigned to a project in groups of 5-6. Over the course of the project, we had regular meetings with faculty and the client to define, understand and tackle the business challenges in the given timeframe. Finally, all deliverables had to be completed and presented to the client at the end of the 10 weeks.

There were various project opportunities to consider in the ‘Project Preferencing’ form. Every project scope had its own unique value and every company involved was attractive in its own way. The projects ranged across different areas of data analytics and data science, giving each of us the opportunity to choose and work on something that we would be genuinely interested in. Additionally, being able to work with such major clients was exciting on its own, as I knew that I stood to meet great individuals and learn from them whilst bringing an impact to their organisation.

A week later I was allocated a project for the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and assigned to my respective team. After a year of the whole cohort working in several study groups and teams, we all knew each other well but it was exciting to be able to work for 10 weeks with people that I had still not gotten the chance to work with before.

Step 2 – Meeting the client:

EBRD is a 31-year-old financial services company, with 4,000 employees. It focuses on promoting private and entrepreneurial initiatives and has handled over 5,700 projects, with a total investment of over €145 billion. Internally, it focuses on fostering a dynamic and high-performing work environment. In support of this, our team collaborated with the HR People Analytics team to support them in their efforts to use data to bring useful insights to the bank.

The first big step for my team was meeting our EBRD contacts and defining the business problems and their expectations from us. After that, we had everything we needed to start tackling the issue we were assigned with.

Step 3 – Bringing it on!

As the project kicked off, the next weeks were a roller coaster ride. Between trying to understand how best to tackle a real-life large data set, to dividing tasks amongst us, and comprehending exactly what the client deliverable was, we were all overwhelmed to say the least. It was then, that I slowly started observing all the skills we had gathered throughout the year, being applied and coming together to let us face this challenge. The data analytics and machine learning skills from our core courses enhanced our ability to complete the technical part of the project, whereas the management and business skills were key in facilitating professional communication between us and the client, as well as the construction of the final report and presentation.

Daily casual meetings in the library and over zoom became common practice and week by week we could see significant progress. We were getting closer to our final target. Teamwork was at the core of being able to deliver our best work. By the end of the first few weeks, we all knew each other’s strengths and competencies and would divide work accordingly. We knew we could rely on each other and ask for help at any given point in time and, bearing in mind that we had recruiting and other elective courses happening at the same time, it was comforting to know that we had each other’s back.

Every client meeting was a major mark on the project roadmap as we would present our progress and findings. This kept us on track and ensured that we were executing exactly what the client was asking from us. Of course, as with every project, there came a point when we found ourselves completely stuck and unsure of everything we had done so far. However, with each other’s help, and our faculty consultations, we were able to overcome this plateau and get to the finish line in the final few weeks.

Step 4 – Getting to the end:

To finalize the project, we had to submit a report and give a final presentation to our client. The report consisted of all our findings after cleaning, processing, and analyzing the data we were given. Using our knowledge obtained through the course, we were able to break down the whole dataset and use it in a constructive way to come up with the findings that the client was asking from us. Then we combined the business skills we had acquired from our management core, to put these findings in context and provide explanations and recommendations to the EBRD People Analytics Team.

Personally, the most rewarding part of the project was the moment we gave our final presentation. With EBRD Directors present, as well as our EBRD points of contact, who we’d been working with throughout the project, we aimed to show up in the best way possible. It was exciting to see the whole project come together and provide useful findings to our client. Most importantly, the comments and praise that we received from EBRD in the end, made it all worth it.

Finally, this was an opportunity to develop my professional and communication skills and work with some of the best people that I have ever worked with. After 10 weeks, the team was practically a family and the project was like our baby. This was a great close to the whole MAM programme, as I got to apply everything that I had learned throughout the course in a real-life setting and get a taste of how this course will help me in my future professional career. It was ultimately the opportunity to combine all the technical, business, and communication skills that the programme had given me and bring them together to complete my MAM experience.

To find out more about the MAM programme, please visit our website here.

The post What is London LAB? appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
Why you should consider the GMiM and MiM programmes [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Why you should consider the GMiM and MiM programmes
The Masters in Management, our flagship programme, gives you critical business understanding, international perspective and practical skills to kick-start your career, whether you’re interested in consulting or thinking about starting your own company.

Developed in consultation with top recruiters, our Masters in Management programme helps you gain the business-ready career skills to succeed in today’s fast-paced global market.

The Global Masters in Management programme will prepare you for global business success. The programme is tailored to individuals interested in working in the Asian markets, as well as in markets around the globe. You will be invited to challenge perceptions and embrace diversity in two key global economic centres: London and Shanghai. From this programme, you’ll gain two internationally recognised degrees, a Masters in Management (MiM) from us and a Masters in Science (MSc) in International Business from Fudan University. The GMiM prepares you to be a leader in an ever-changing world.

Allan Baudoin, MiM alum said:

“For me, the most interesting part of the programme was meeting so many interesting and brilliant people, each in their own special way, all from different backgrounds and cultures. I think the best networking you can do at London Business School is with the students. I met people who I now consider some of my closest friends.”

Sofia Cucalon, GMiM alum said:

“As part of the GMiM programme, for my second year I studied at Fudan University in Shanghai.It’s this global connectivity that makes LBS a truly unique school. Gaining exposure to a different culture, language and new ways of doing business have proven absolutely critical to succeeding in my role today.”

What we look for in a MiM candidate:

• Undergraduate degree of 2.1 or 3.3. GPA (minimum)
  • 0 – 2 years of postgraduate work experience
  • A competitive GMAT/GRE score
  • Leadership potential

What we look for in a GMiM candidate:

• Undergraduate degree of 2.1 or 3.3. GPA (minimum)
  • 0 – 2 years of work experience
  • A competitive GMAT/GRE score
  • Leadership potential
  • A keen interest in the Asian markets

If you are wondering whether this is the right programme for you, please contact our G/MiM Recruitment Team at mim@london.edu. You are also welcome to request an informal CV review.

The post Why you should consider the GMiM and MiM programmes appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
My time so far on the Sloan programme [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: My time so far on the Sloan programme
[b][url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/sloan-masters-in-leadership-and-strategy]The Sloan Masters in Leadership and Strategy programme[/url][/b] is one of our most senior programmes offered here at London Business School. It brings together a high calibre of professionals and entrepreneurs who are ready to take their career to the next level.

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Sunil-Prashara-1.jpg[/img]

We spoke with [b][url=https://www.linkedin.com/in/sunilprashara/]Sunil Prashara[/url][/b], a student on the Sloan 2022 cohort, to find out how his experience has been so far.

[b]Why did you decide to study the Sloan programme at London Business School?[/b]

My company was recovering from the dramatic impact of Covid that hit during an enterprise-wide digital transformation. As CEO, I had to keep the transformation on track, keep the staff and clients safe and engaged, minimise the financial impact and realign our product portfolio and business in readiness for a new normal. There were no prescribed, tried, and tested strategies and solutions, so we were navigating unchartered waters.

I turned to the [b][url=https://www.london.edu/executive-education/general-management/senior-executive-programme]LBS Senior Executive Programme[/url][/b] (SEP) for insights and guidance. The course was amazing and opened by eyes to how much more there is to know and understand about management, leadership, and change – despite my 25 year career in executive posts, things were moving at a pace I had not contemplated.

The LBS Sloan offered me the opportunity to really go deep into what the SEP programme had highlighted. An opportunity to learn alongside fellow executives, a world class faculty and amazing, top notch guest speakers and presenters proved very attractive to me. Notwithstanding, the fact that LBS is one of the best business schools in the world, the course content was as expected; both comprehensive and relevant. The core material allowed me to refresh my knowledge and a broad range of electives covered the areas that I was keen to learn about such as: sustainability, macro-economic trends and digital strategy.  LBS gave me a one-year academic uplift and reflection time I was looking for to go on to the next stage in my life. Hence why I decided to apply for the 2022/2023 Sloan programme.

[b]What has been the highlight of the Sloan programme so far?[/b]

There have been several highlights.

I enjoyed going back and refreshing myself in some specific areas. For
example, the Accounting and Corporate Finance course content is set just right
for executives to understand the key salient principles, causes and effects and
is supported by interesting real-life case studies and content.

The core strategy course by Jessica Spungin was informative, packed full
of even more interesting cases going beyond theory and into the application of
strategic structures and frameworks.  I
especially enjoyed learning in small groups when completing case assignments as
I got to experience a variety of perspectives from senior students from
different industries and cultural backgrounds.

However, the biggest highlight has come from the interactive work with members of my cohort facilitated by the lecturers. These have proven to be a brilliant way to learn, whether it’s a class debate facilitated by Professor Andrew Scott in Global Corporate Agenda class, or heated “Union negotiations” between two student groups in the brilliant, Professor Niro Sivanathan’s, Negotiation and Bargaining elective. The Sloan experience is peppered with such interactive sessions, and it’s a great way to learn and put new theories into practice in real life situations.

[b]What are you most looking forward to after graduating?[/b]

This one year at Sloan is turning out to be the best year in my working life. It’s a year I dedicated to developing myself, after decades of working for others. I wish I had done this ten years earlier, if I’m honest. I have learned a lot and I have also had to “unlearn” things that are, maybe, not so relevant anymore. I’m looking forward to my next chapter post Sloan – I have definitely been given the opportunity to explore different options, be it a smart start up, another CEO post or a portfolio career in an advisory capacity or NED for several companies.

I was grateful of the dedication that Annette Minihans showed whilst facilitating the Sloan Career sessions on how to position yourself after Sloan. It was very comprehensive covering topics from CV content, social media, networking, role profiling, presentation skills etc.  Equipped with these insights, I have the confidence to not be scared (at my age) to try something totally new. Maybe I will partner up with some fellow Sloan’s and do something in the Sustainability sector? Who knows, I’ve got four months to go before I graduate, and I intend to enjoy every minute and not worry too much (yet) about what’s next.

[b]What advice would you give students who are preparing for an application?[/b]

If you are preparing for the application, try and think through the
pivotal points in your career to date. What caused them, how you responded, who
helped (who didn’t). Think about the business strategies that you have seen –
did they crystalise? What works, what doesn’t.

I also would think about the outcomes and impacts you have had on
employees, companies, friends and family as you have progressed through your
career. What “lights you up”? What/who drains your energy and why?

The interview process covers two broad areas – what you have done to date, where you want to go and more importantly, what do you bring to the party that others will learn from. Speak to past alumni and some folks already on the programme to get a better feel.

The LBS Sloan is your own personal investment in YOU and as you progress
don’t be frightened if you start to change your own perspectives as you learn
more. This seems to be a normal thing – it will change you. It will make you a
better version of yourself and it will highlight paths that you may wish to
follow different to the path you are on today.

Above all, for me it’s a both a total and special privilege to be in the company of some of the smartest brains in the world, learning from them and contributing to their thinking with my own perspectives. We are, after all, equals. In 2022 LBS was voted as the best business school in the world and the Sloan programme is its flagship course. Welcome onboard.

If you would like to learn more about the Sloan programme and how to apply, please visit our [b][url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/sloan-masters-in-leadership-and-strategy/apply]website[/url][/b].

The post [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu/my-time-so-far-on-the-sloan-programme/]My time so far on the Sloan programme[/url] appeared first on [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu]Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School[/url].
Director
Director
Send PM
The MFA: A look back at the highlights from the programme [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: The MFA: A look back at the highlights from the programme
As we welcome a new intake of MFA students, we touched base with Jay Bansal – MFA2022 student ambassador to share his thoughts on his time at LBS.

Why did you decide to pursue the Masters in Financial Analysis at London Business School? 

My journey before LBS did not follow a straight path. I graduated with my Bachelor’s degree during the Covid-19 pandemic and tried my hand at consulting, real estate, startups, and even VC. While I did not know where I wanted to be, I knew I wanted to work in an international environment, build a strong network and explore different career paths in finance.

After in-depth research, the MFA at LBS made perfect sense. The MFA presented a path to transition from India to UK early on in my career, build a strong network in different industries before starting work, and learn practical skills for finance

How did you prepare your MFA application? Did you do any preparation prior to starting the programme? 

I prepared for my MFA application by researching and networking. To prepare for my MFA application, I spoke with several alumni, members of the faculty, and students from different programs at LBS. To make the best use of their time and mine, I made sure to read about the programme, its requirements, recruitment outcomes and student reviews on LBS website. 

To make an informed decision and to prepare for the programme, I spoke to various industry professionals in London to understand how a masters at LBS could best position me for a successful career. I also familiarized myself with the growth of various sectors in UK, Europe, top recruitment trends and potential employers across different segments within the finance industry. 

What are your key highlights from the MFA programme?  

The Global Immersion Field Trip (GIFT) and London Business Challenge Week (LBCW) were two unforgettable experiences. I worked with The Raine Group, a prestigious TMT investment bank and growth investor during the Challenge Week in London and Redstone, a fast-growing VC with over $500m AUM during the GIFT to Berlin. 

On both occasions, I was leading a team of 5-6 students, worked directly with the investing teams and had the chance to come up with creative solutions and investment ideas. It was a great chance to work with leading investors, put my passion for Consumer Media, web3 and ESG to good use and present complex ideas to seasoned professionals. Managing diverse teams with different educational and professional backgrounds was also a challenge, but also a great learning experience. 

I continue to draw from those experiences in my current roles and have stayed in close touch with both the firms and their employees as my mentors. 

LBS is known for its fantastic student life, can your share your own experiences and how you got involved with the LBS community? 

It’s the little things that make the experience at LBS so rich. I would often make new friends by hanging out at the cafeteria. All connections with a unique story, cultural background, and professional direction. Everyone at LBS is ambitious, respectful, and helpful, which is why I was left inspired by every conversation I had. 

At LBS, I could always find a relevant community or support group no matter what I needed, from the Music Club members that helped me learn new instruments, to the MMA Club where I found others interested in practicing martial arts. As VP of the Board Games Club, I loved organizing game nights on weekends for everyone across LBS to wind down, eat, drink and bond over board games. I also led the organization of the Annual Poker Tournament. 

My involvement with the Venture Capital and Startup community was also one of the highlights of my LBS Journey. Over the course of the year, I organized several social events alongside the PE/VC Club, IEPC, and E-Club, giving LBS students and alumni opportunities to connect with each other and investors and founders across London. This helped me build invaluable, long-lasting relationships in the Private Capital industry. 

A sense of belonging is key to making the most of a business school. LBS had support systems for those from Low-Income, LGBTQ communities and families and partners. LBS also responded swiftly to support those students affected by the Ukraine war, the pandemic, and other worldwide events. Both me and my close friends benefitted greatly from these initiatives. 

You can read profiles of other MFA students here.

Find out more about the Masters in Financial Analysis and how to apply.

Check our upcoming MFA events [url=https://www.london.edu/events/calendar#sort=%40eventstarts%20ascending&f:programme=[MFA]]here[/url] and register your interest.

If you have any questions, please contact our MFA Recruitment Team at mfa@london.edu. To request a CV informal review, contact our recruitment team or submit it via the LBS website.

The post The MFA: A look back at the highlights from the programme appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
MASTERS IN FINANCIAL ANALYSIS: WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY AND WHAT WE LOOK F [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: MASTERS IN FINANCIAL ANALYSIS: WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY AND WHAT WE LOOK FOR
Written by Shino Rawlins Student Recruitment Associate – MFA and Andree Clarke Student Recruitment Associate – MAM

Our Masters in Financial Analysis is a programme for ambitious individuals who are keen to secure a career in global finance. Whether you have your mind set on investment banking, private equity or asset management, the MFA has so much to offer.

The MFA has had a successful career impact, with our MFA graduates entering a vast range of exciting roles. Check out our 2021 employment report here.

Established in 2016, the MFA entered the FT’s pre-experience finance rankings in 2021 as a top ten programme globally and we’re proud to say this has been maintained and reflected in the 2022 rankings.

Studying in the world’s leading financial capital, the MFA programme will set the foundations for areas including finance, accounting, financial modelling, and data analysis. You will be exposed to the latest financial software and explore the financial market. Want to put your knowledge into practice? You will have the chance to participate in our London Business Challenge Week and Global Experience Course.

The MFA programme welcomes students from all walks of life. With over 40 nationalities represented, you will have the opportunity to build a global network. If you are ready to make a real impact on the global finance industry, then consider our MFA programme.

“One of the most powerful things about the MFA programme is its global perspective. When you’re in class, there are many diverse backgrounds, with different points of view that you’re exposed to. You gain a broader understanding of the topic you’re learning, and about life.” Begum Tuglu, MFA2019

“The MFA offered me the exclusive combination of studying under world-class academics and receiving unparalleled careers services. I felt like LBS invested in my personal goals in a way no other school could compete with.” Mark Jalleh, MFA2020

What we look for in MFA candidates:

• Strong undergraduate degree with a UK 2.1 or 3.3. GPA (minimum)
  • 0 – 2 years of work experience
  • A competitive GMAT/GRE or achieved a CFA Level 1
  • Key interest in building a career in finance
  • Previous work experience is not essential but can add value to your profile

Ideally, candidates should be able to demonstrate quantitative skills or have studied a discipline in a numerate subject such as Accounting, Finance, Economics or Computer Science.

As part of the application process, candidates will need to submit a one-page CV and an essay. For tips on how to structure your CV, check out our LBS CV template here. The application essay will give you the opportunity to tell us more about yourself, your career goals, why you wish to purse the MFA and how you will contribute to the LBS community.

If you have any questions, please contact our MFA Recruitment Team at mfa@london.edu. To request an informal CV review, submit it via our website.

The post MASTERS IN FINANCIAL ANALYSIS: WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY AND WHAT WE LOOK FOR appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
My time so far on the EMBA-Global programme [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: My time so far on the EMBA-Global programme
The EMBA-Global programme is a unique dual-MBA run jointly by two top ranked business schools; Colombia Business School and London Business School.

It brings together diverse, high calibre, globally-focused leaders
from a wide variety of nationalities and industries who learn from each other
as well as from faculty, all while continuing with their careers.

We spoke with our EMBA Global 2023 student, Thiago Felippe, to hear what he has learnt so far during his first term.

Why did you decide to study the EMBA-Global at London Business School?

The programme combines three attractive points: learn from faculty from two distinguished institutions, be part of a truly global and diverse cohort, and continue to work and be able to immediately apply what you learn.

What has been your highlight of the EMBA-Global programme so far?

There are many highlights, but the level of experience and knowledge that the cohort brings in, and the rigor and depth of the material, are my personal highlights so far.

How have you been able to apply your learning from the programme in your current role?

This can become a very long answer, but I’ll highlight the leadership lessons. It’s easier to see how one can apply Regression models to one’s job, but soft skills are sometimes underrated while they can be the most impactful. I am truly amazed how much my approach and perception of myself, my company and my life has already changed.

What advice would you give to students who are preparing an application?

Be genuine and honest with yourself. You’ll get the most from the programme if you come with an open mind. But also, be sure to note that the programme is not an easy ride. No prestigious institution like LBS built its reputation by putting mediocre executives back into the market.

If you would like to learn more about the EMBA-Global programme, please visit our website.

The post My time so far on the EMBA-Global programme appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
Director
Director
Send PM
From South Africa to England: Meet Tondani Netshiavha MiF full-time 20 [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: From South Africa to England: Meet Tondani Netshiavha MiF full-time 2023 student
After orientation we caught up with Tondani Netshiavha to find out how the beginning of his Masters in Finance journey at London Business School was going.

It’s been almost three weeks since I arrived in London and started the MiF programme at London Business School. From the first day I met my cohort, the energy was surreal, and I could firmly say I made the right choice for my career. I’ve met people from all different walks of life, learned some Spanish, been enjoying the classroom environment and learning so much about the multiple cultures around me.

What I have enjoyed the most thus far is my cohort. The friends I have met and started lifelong bonds with and how open everyone here is about their culture. People genuinely coming out of their shells to become who they truly want to be, has been remarkable for me to witness. I love London and LBS.

I was honoured to be asked to give a speech at our Orientation day and I thought I would share a snippet of my speech with you all.

My name is Tondani Netshiavha from South Africa, a proud rugby nation! Many British people know us too well for the heartbreak we caused in the 2019 Rugby World Cup final.

I had to come all the way to England just to teach you all some rugby skills. I was born and raised in the South Western Townships of South Africa, commonly known as Soweto. Soweto came to the world’s attention on the 16th of June 1976, when mass protests erupted against the government policy to enforce education in Afrikaans rather than in our native languages.

The world stood with us by imposing economic and cultural sanctions, an act that people like myself will forever be grateful for as those sanctions applied pressure on the government. Me being here today is proof of the results of those sanctions, as I was able to learn in my preferred language.

Given today’s global climate in Russia, Ukraine, China, Taiwan, America, Israel and Palestine, we can all draw lessons from the patriarchism shown to the South African people in 1976. If we all stand together and unite against unhumanitarian acts, we can all achieve more and the world can bring hope to people like myself who will have a positive impact on the world one day.

I am excited to learn from each and every one of you, diversity is a beautiful thing, it teaches us to understand the world and how to make the world a better place.

I encourage each and every one of you to break away from what feels comfortable and really engage and learn from people who come from different places around the world. After all a ship in the harbour is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for!

It is only human for people to gravitate towards what is familiar, but that’s not what London Business School was built for, so I dare you to be more.

Onwards and Upwards!

To find out more about the Masters in Finance full-time programme, visit our website here.

If you have any questions about the programme, please contact us at mif@london.edu

The post From South Africa to England: Meet Tondani Netshiavha MiF full-time 2023 student appeared first on Student and Admissions Blog - London Business School.
GMAT Club Bot
From South Africa to England: Meet Tondani Netshiavha MiF full-time 20 [#permalink]
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  22