Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:56 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Unfortunately, as an HVAC guy, my husband has exactly zero pull. However, I will get 25% off tuition! Also, I have actually only been out of school for about 2 yrs. I took a bit longer than most to graduation with my undergrad (I'm 29-was 27 when I graduated), since most of those 7-8 years of full-time work experience was while I was going to school (part-time, which is no easy feat at a traditional college like OSU!).

The last I heard, the OSU MBA program was listed in the top 25 or so, so it's a pretty good program. I wasn't terribly worried about the number of years of work experience I have, but I was worried about the quality. I went to an information session, and there were all of these people there who are financial managers and the like from really big name companies. Of course they say that they like diversity and are open to it, and they even had someone there who was a dental hygenist who got the PTMBA and opened up their own business, but I just wasn't quite sure whether to believe them or not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Any Normal People Here? [#permalink]
While the average scores at Harvard, +Wharton and INSEAD are in 700's, there are other less prestigious but good schools will have average scores that may be in the 500s or even less.

It may be possible to ovecome a low GMAT score with an impressive portfolio of good work experience (2-3 years), outstanding references and good essays. Not every one scores a 700 and get a 4.0 GPA, yet there is a college for almost everyone.

golfpro20050 wrote:
Any people that don't have 3.8 gpa's and 700 on their gmat? Anyone around a 600 and a 2.6 like me? Any plans?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
While the average scores at Harvard,Wharton and INSEAD are in 700's, there are other less prestigious but good schools will have average scores that may be in the 500s or even less.

It may be possible to ovecome a low GMAT score with an impressive portfolio of good work experience (2-3 years), outstanding references and good essays. Not every one scores a 700 and get a 4.0 GPA, yet there is a college for almost everyone. You can also have a look at the Princeton review's web page or simply refer to manya education site for more info.

golfpro20050 wrote:
Any people that don't have 3.8 gpa's and 700 on their gmat? Anyone around a 600 and a 2.6 like me? Any plans?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 930 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
And.. of course you don't have to enter Harvard, Wharton or Columbia to have a successful career. :-D Any top 20 schools are a good propeller if you are a smart one.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
tennis_ball wrote:
And.. of course you don't have to enter Harvard, Wharton or Columbia to have a successful career. :-D Any top 20 schools are a good propeller if you are a smart one.

lol. I don't think this person was talking about top 20. More like 75-100 type schools. 640 gmat, 2.7. low work experience
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The minority [#permalink]
Hey, my gpa is crap like 2.2 in a B.Comm from a good skool but hv alot of work experience, especially in asia, where i am assuming most pple will not have, (and im not referring to the typical HK) workied in indonesia + malaysia.....but i am feeling this GMat is draining me, gpa sucked because i paid for and did it on my own etc etc, any hope for me? Im using the princeton review now, going thru the the sections then will do the practice Qs, unfortunatley not working now so no guaranteed $ from my work for the tuition, am i dreaming with this crappy gpa or wht? others hv told me just try CFA, no ref letters or 2 yrs of my life etc etc, but im not that type of person, pls advise + be honest, i can take it, i have heard worse, thanks! PS: i hope they look at the degree + work exp more then the GPA and maybe GMAT, any thoughts?

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Re: The minority [#permalink]
Miracleman wrote:
Hey, my gpa is crap like 2.2 in a B.Comm from a good skool but hv alot of work experience, especially in asia, where i am assuming most pple will not have, (and im not referring to the typical HK) workied in indonesia + malaysia.....but i am feeling this GMat is draining me, gpa sucked because i paid for and did it on my own etc etc, any hope for me? Im using the princeton review now, going thru the the sections then will do the practice Qs, unfortunatley not working now so no guaranteed $ from my work for the tuition, am i dreaming with this crappy gpa or wht? others hv told me just try CFA, no ref letters or 2 yrs of my life etc etc, but im not that type of person, pls advise + be honest, i can take it, i have heard worse, thanks! PS: i hope they look at the degree + work exp more then the GPA and maybe GMAT, any thoughts?

Cheers!

I know people who were accepted with GPA 2.5 to top 20 prestigious schools. You can't really fix your GPA, but you can balance it with decent GMAT. I would recommend to study hard for GMAT(try to get at least 650).
Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: The minority [#permalink]
Miracleman wrote:

Cheers!

skool is cool! My advise. Work your butt off on gmat. Get a 600 plus. Get help with your essays. Get a good story for your application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi Everyone,
I am new here and am very excited to come across this thread. I am one of those "normal", "mediocre" ppl as well. I have yet to take my GMAT exam, it will be my first time taking it. (In 10 days....o man, pray for me) I don't even want to mention how I'm scoring on my practice exam...way too embarrassed. Undergrad is 2.89...can I just say 2.9?

Originally posted by missbrooklyn on 04 Apr 2008, 09:13.
Last edited by missbrooklyn on 12 Apr 2008, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
glad to see this thread!

550 GMAT, 2.8 GPA, roughly 4 years of WE

Am going to retake my GMAT in hopes to 630+

Looking to apply to FT Boston Colllege, FT Boston Uni, Babson 1 year

and yeah, I'm from Boston and dont wanna leave. haha :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
My personal goal is a 700. However, the CoB I'm applying to (Florida State University) doesn't require anywhere near that--it's just something I want to achieve for my own satisfaction. If I score a 550 or 600, I won't retake the test; I won't need to, because those are still high enough to get into FSU.

My GPA is something like 3.8 and I graduated cum laude, so I'm okay there. In fact, in my junior and senior years it was much closer to 4.0.

As for experience, I actually ran a small business for several years, so I'm hoping that will look good on my application. The business was actually profitable, and when my partner and I closed it we didn't owe anyone any money. That's more than a lot of small business can say! :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was thinking the same thing! I'm so happy about this post. I got a 2.9 during my undergrad and I went to an OK school - one of the bottom tier UCs. I'm going to get a great score to compensate for my crappy GPA!! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My people!

Heh, seriously though, I only had a 2.9 gpa from a csu school and my work experience is weak. I just got my ass handed to me in the CFA level I exam and figured I give this a shot while I'm looking for work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I am so happy I found this post! I was freaking out that if I didn't get a 650-700 I must be lacking smarts. I've been out of school for 10 years and can't even remember my GPA - but I was a solid "B" student. I don't even know what school I am going to apply yet. I am aiming for a 600-650 on my test to make sure I have options. Heck, I am not even sure if I am going for MBA or Masters in Communications! Now that threw you all for a loop I am sure!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
what can I say?

it has been 9 months since i started studying for gmat and i scored 430 in the last gmatprep i did!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Wow I didn't quite get a 700 and 3.8.

I had a 690 and 3.75 (albeit from a city college).

Where do I stand?

Edit: Hope that didn't come off too arrogant. I'm more impressed with someone's work history. Mine sort of stinks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
GPA: 3.5
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
All the best for guys preparin GMAT. Suggest me any tips.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3