Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:57 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2830 [5]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619486 [1]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Send PM
If x ≠ y, is 1/(x - y) < y - x? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Anurag@Gurome wrote:
The question is \(\frac{1}{(x - y)} < -(x - y)\)
or Is \(1 < -(x - y)^2\)? or Is \((x - y)^2 < -1\)?

(1) \(x^2 + y^2 < 4xy\) implies \(x^2 + y^2 -2xy < 2xy\) or \((x - y)^2 < 2xy\)
Since we don't know any relation between x and y, so statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT.

(2) y < x implies (x - y) > 0 or \((x - y)^2 > 0\)
So, answer to the main question is "No"
Statement 2 is SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is B.

The red part is not correct. You cannot multiply both sides of the inequality by \(x-y\) as you don't know whether this expression is positive or negative. Also answer to the question "is \((x - y)^2 < -1\)?" is always NO as the square of a number can not be negative. Basically if \(x-y>0\) the answer is always NO and if \(x-y<0\) the answer is always YES.

You can simplify the question as follows: is \(\frac{1}{x-y}<y-x\)? --> is \(y-x+\frac{1}{y-x}>0\)? is \(\frac{(y-x)^2+1}{y-x}>0\)? As the nominator (\((y-x)^2+1\)) is always positive then the question basically becomes whether denominator (\(y-x\)) is positive too --> is \(y-x>0\)? or is \(y>x\)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If x ≠ y, is 1/(x - y) < y - x? [#permalink]
You are right, thanks for pointing that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
If x ≠ y, is 1/(x - y) < y - x? [#permalink]
\(1/(x-y) < (y-x)\)?
rearranging,
\((1/(x-y)) + (x-y) < 0\) ?

if \(x > y\), then \((1/(x-y)) + (x-y)\) is positive
if \(x < y\), then \((1/(x-y)) + (x-y)\) is negative,
so question becomes \(x < y\) ?

Statement 1:
\(x^2 + y^2 < 4xy\)
=>\(x^2 + y^2 - 2xy < 2xy\)
=> \((x - y)^2 < 2xy\)
since \((x - y)^2\) is greater than zero,
so \(2xy > 0\), but this does not tell whether \(x < y\) => Insuff

Statement 2: Directly answers the question => suff

Answer (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: If x y, is 1/(x - y) < y - x? [#permalink]
I had a quick question on statement 1. We have derived that (x - y) ^ 2 > 0. Why cannot we write this as (x - y) >0 and thus x > y. Hence making statement 1 as sufficient. Can someone explain why we cannot use this approach, instead choose 2xy> "some positive number"
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
BenTheBomber wrote:
I had a quick question on statement 1. We have derived that (x - y) ^ 2 > 0. Why cannot we write this as (x - y) >0 and thus x > y. Hence making statement 1 as sufficient. Can someone explain why we cannot use this approach, instead choose 2xy> "some positive number"

Not sure I can follow. First of all, where and how was it derived that (x - y)^2 > 0? Also, (x - y)^2 > 0 for all values except when x = y.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your reply Bunuel.
Let me elaborate:
In statement 1, we have:
x^2 + y^2 < 4xy
=> x^2 + y^2 - 2xy < 2xy
=> (x - y) ^ 2 < 2xy.

From here, hellosantosh2k2 chooses 2xy is positive and continues to solve the problem and arrive that statement is 1 insufficient.

At this point I wanted to take an alternate route of choosing (x - y)^2 as positive and explore that term to check for sufficiency.

By explanation and my question is below:
We can say that (x - y)^ 2 is positive as square of (x - y) will always be positive. It can also take a value of 0 if x = y but the question says x!=y.
So, my question is: can we not choose (x - y) ^2 > 0 instead of choosing 2xy > 0? Because if we choose RHS of the inequality then, we arrive at the answer as not sufficient.
But if we choose it to be (x-y)^2 > 0 from RHS of the inequality equation, can we not deduce that (x -y )>0 and then take -y to the right side to make it x > y, thus making the answer sufficient.

I am sure I am violating some rule of inequality or absolute value but cannot put a finger on it. I wanted to know the reason why we cannot choose (x - y) ^ 2 >0, is it because even if we choose it, we cannot remove its squares, or I am completely off the mark and misunderstood this piece completely. 
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BenTheBomber wrote:
Thanks for your reply Bunuel.
Let me elaborate:
In statement 1, we have:
x^2 + y^2 < 4xy
=> x^2 + y^2 - 2xy < 2xy
=> (x - y) ^ 2 < 2xy.

From here, hellosantosh2k2 chooses 2xy is positive and continues to solve the problem and arrive that statement is 1 insufficient.

At this point I wanted to take an alternate route of choosing (x - y)^2 as positive and explore that term to check for sufficiency.

By explanation and my question is below:
We can say that (x - y)^ 2 is positive as square of (x - y) will always be positive. It can also take a value of 0 if x = y but the question says x!=y.
So, my question is: can we not choose (x - y) ^2 > 0 instead of choosing 2xy > 0? Because if we choose RHS of the inequality then, we arrive at the answer as not sufficient.
But if we choose it to be (x-y)^2 > 0 from RHS of the inequality equation, can we not deduce that (x -y )>0 and then take -y to the right side to make it x > y, thus making the answer sufficient.

I am sure I am violating some rule of inequality or absolute value but cannot put a finger on it. I wanted to know the reason why we cannot choose (x - y) ^ 2 >0, is it because even if we choose it, we cannot remove its squares, or I am completely off the mark and misunderstood this piece completely. 

The point here is that (x - y)^2 > 0 doesn't necessarily imply that x > y; it simply indicates that x ≠ y. This is because the inequality (x - y)^2 > 0 holds true regardless of whether x > y or x < y. It does not hold only if x ≠ y.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bunuel Thanks for clarifying that. Your explanation helped me a lot to understand this. Now I am clear. (x - y) ^2 can mean both x > y and y> x. It makes a lot of sense. Appreciate your help. Cheers.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92959 posts