Last visit was: 02 Jun 2024, 07:49 It is currently 02 Jun 2024, 07:49
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34541 [1]
Given Kudos: 5807
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34541 [0]
Given Kudos: 5807
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: In the 1920s and 1930s, some of the most famous chain restaurantsHorn [#permalink]
Expert Reply
RockU wrote:
Where can I find official answers?

­Click on "Show Answer" button given after each question. See the screen shot below.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: In the 1920s and 1930s, some of the most famous chain restaurantsHorn [#permalink]
RockU wrote:

Here are mine:
Q1:
No Supported- Chain restaurant expansion in the United States continued throughout the 20th century.
Tab 1: expansion to suburbs started in mid-century.So the expansion is NOT "throughout the 20th century"

Supported- New franchised restaurant brands were regularly founded throughout the 20th century.
Tab1: the mentioned names "appeared in urban areas as ..."

Not Supported- Accommodating the automobile was a primary driver of restaurant franchise growth in the 20th century.
I don't think "lure automobile-based customers" = accommodating the automobiles?

Q2:
No- Early chain restaurants frequently sought to improve efficiencies by focusing on serving a single meal during the day.
"The earliest of these chains focused on urban working populations." It's not necessarily one single meal (could be lunch and dinner).

Yes- By the mid-1980s, there were more than 100,000 fast food restaurants in the United States.
"The network of restaurants across the United States grew slowly into the 1960s, from 127,000 restaurants in 1954 to 135,000 in 1967, and then rapidly increased by more than 100 percent by the mid-1980s."

Yes- Restaurant franchisees are required to conform to certain specifications regarding service and aesthetics.
"licensed to operate local restaurants using the chain’s common building design, food, and delivery theme under contracts that specified quality and consistency."

Q3:
Affected- Consideration of eating away from home as a recreational activity
it says "as chains moved into suburban settings, the notion of eating out for fun rather than as a worktime concession gained traction".
I thought the early expansion to suburban caused the "notion of eating out for fun", but if we look at the past 100 years, there is a lingering effect.

Affected- Target audience expansion
Targeting automobile-based customers.

No-effect: Reclassification of dining out as a secondary activity
Dining out is not reclassified but rather existed as a secondary activity in certain outlets.

­I think the same for Question number 2. it should be No , Yes, Yes, as single meal is not specified
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Please provide the explanations for the following questions as i am able to answer 2 correctly in each question and would like my doubts resolved
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Apeksha2101 wrote:
RockU wrote:

Here are mine:
Q1:
No Supported- Chain restaurant expansion in the United States continued throughout the 20th century.
Tab 1: expansion to suburbs started in mid-century.So the expansion is NOT "throughout the 20th century"

Supported- New franchised restaurant brands were regularly founded throughout the 20th century.
Tab1: the mentioned names "appeared in urban areas as ..."

Not Supported- Accommodating the automobile was a primary driver of restaurant franchise growth in the 20th century.
I don't think "lure automobile-based customers" = accommodating the automobiles?

Q2:
No- Early chain restaurants frequently sought to improve efficiencies by focusing on serving a single meal during the day.
"The earliest of these chains focused on urban working populations." It's not necessarily one single meal (could be lunch and dinner).

Yes- By the mid-1980s, there were more than 100,000 fast food restaurants in the United States.
"The network of restaurants across the United States grew slowly into the 1960s, from 127,000 restaurants in 1954 to 135,000 in 1967, and then rapidly increased by more than 100 percent by the mid-1980s."

Yes- Restaurant franchisees are required to conform to certain specifications regarding service and aesthetics.
"licensed to operate local restaurants using the chain’s common building design, food, and delivery theme under contracts that specified quality and consistency."

Q3:
Affected- Consideration of eating away from home as a recreational activity
it says "as chains moved into suburban settings, the notion of eating out for fun rather than as a worktime concession gained traction".
I thought the early expansion to suburban caused the "notion of eating out for fun", but if we look at the past 100 years, there is a lingering effect.

Affected- Target audience expansion
Targeting automobile-based customers.

No-effect: Reclassification of dining out as a secondary activity
Dining out is not reclassified but rather existed as a secondary activity in certain outlets.

­I think the same for Question number 2. it should be No , Yes, Yes, as single meal is not specified

­Many early chain restaurants in the 1920s and 1930s  focused on serving a single meal during the day, typically targeting the lunchtime crowd. This inference can be drawn because these were walk- up lunch rooms and also focussed on urban working populations. ( To serve the working population at their lunch breaks.)­
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 128
Concentration: General Management, Accounting
GPA: 9.054
Send PM
Hi, I am having trouble understanding question 1, in the option for automobile, they mentioned that it was a primary driver while reading the paragraph gives off an idea that it was one of the factors. Can someone please explain?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 393
Schools: ISB '25
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
In the 1920s and 1930s, some of the most famous chain restaurantsHorn [#permalink]
ozzaayy wrote:
Hi, I am having trouble understanding question 1, in the option for automobile, they mentioned that it was a primary driver while reading the paragraph gives off an idea that it was one of the factors. Can someone please explain?

­Yes.. the text details various causes for expansion in 20th century but in Q1 the third statement is about automobile being primary driver in 20th century hence the statement is NOT supported­
GMAT Club Bot
In the 1920s and 1930s, some of the most famous chain restaurantsHorn [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
93559 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1001 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11362 posts