Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 13:54 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 13:54
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Like process of elimination for SC, understanding CR on the line of explanations provided by OG, and figuring context of RC before reading it fully. I can explain these techniques more if someone is interested.

I am retaking the exam to bump my Verbal from 36 to atleast 40!!

Your suggestion about SC/CR sounds good, but would be helpful if you can elaborate .....

RC---Any more Gyan would be great

Between...Congrats for the great score!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
One Chinese or korean document on Maths practice I downloaded from this forum which raised my actual Maths score to 90%.

Any links please??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
See post of Vivek at the link:
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... stests+zip
Answers are also avaiable on the same page.
--------------------------
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Quote:
One Chinese or korean document on Maths practice I downloaded from this forum which raised my actual Maths score to 90%.

Any links please??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozomba, I also fought to increase my verbal from 34-35 to 40. My target was 40 and I just got that. I adopted following approaches

SC: before reading answer choices, just skim through these 5 choices and identify what is varying in the choices. This will give you clear vision that what is being tested here. Normally GMAT tests 2 concepts at a time in SC. Say for example Idioms and subject-verb relationship together. By looking at choices you would see that there will be 2 choices with one Idiom and 3 choices with another. Once you know which Idiom is correct, you can eliminate other 2-3 choices.
Then you look for another variation in remaining choices in hand and pick best one.
One example:-see problem 60 in OG-11. there are two kind of variation - 2 choices with "to" and then 3 choices with "for" and "of". You know that "to" is correct, so leave the 3 choices. Now in these two choices A is more parallel so answer is A. Adopting this approach you can end up with correct choice fast. This approach works with 70/80% of SC.

RC and SC: I will write it soon.

Ozmba2006 wrote:
Quote:
Like process of elimination for SC, understanding CR on the line of explanations provided by OG, and figuring context of RC before reading it fully. I can explain these techniques more if someone is interested.

I am retaking the exam to bump my Verbal from 36 to atleast 40!!

Your suggestion about SC/CR sounds good, but would be helpful if you can elaborate .....

RC---Any more Gyan would be great

Between...Congrats for the great score!

Originally posted by vsaxenaGMAT on 28 Jun 2007, 23:07.
Last edited by vsaxenaGMAT on 07 Jul 2007, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: score 720-(Q49 V40)-My strategies for Busy people [#permalink]
What is this stuff ? Can you let us know from where you downloaded this.

<b>One Chinese or korean document on Maths practice I downloaded from this forum which raised my actual Maths score to 90%.</b>
Intern
Intern
Send PM
See post of Vivek at the link:
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... stests+zip
Answers are also avaiable on the same page.

ashkrs wrote:
What is this stuff ? Can you let us know from where you downloaded this.

<b>One Chinese or korean document on Maths practice I downloaded from this forum which raised my actual Maths score to 90%.</b>
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
do you have answers for this DS and PS questions. I see the answers jpg but there is no option for download. If you can upload that that would be great .
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
try to search answer in the forum. It must be somewhere.

ashkrs wrote:
do you have answers for this DS and PS questions. I see the answers jpg but there is no option for download. If you can upload that that would be great .
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
2 hours per day for how many weeks/months?
how many practice exams did you take?
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I kept 3 months for me. Because I felt I can not keep myself motivated longer than that. However 3 to 4 months is enough for GMAT.
I did 2 test of GMAT prep and 2 Kaplan test and 1 800score free test.
Basically 1000SC,CR,RC,PS,DS are good test in themselves. You can do 25 questions in a limited time frame (say 2 minutes per question). If you start getting 80% of them correct, this means you are ready for exam.
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Send PM
vsaxenaGMAT wrote:
2)800Score: Their probability and Permutation/Combination stuff is really good.

That's awesome! I wrote all their probability and permuation/combination stuff, and I'm THRILLED to know you liked it!

Any feedback, if you remember?

Congrats on your score!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just one feed back Ian777: add more questions for practice. Ohterwise its too good...

ian7777 wrote:
vsaxenaGMAT wrote:
2)800Score: Their probability and Permutation/Combination stuff is really good.

That's awesome! I wrote all their probability and permuation/combination stuff, and I'm THRILLED to know you liked it!

Any feedback, if you remember?

Congrats on your score!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi guys,

Im just wondering, what kind of question difficulty on quant do I need to master to get at least a 40? Is it enough just to know the medium questions and easy ones?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
fawreel902, it is more important to focus on easy questions because most of the question GMAT asks are easy question. They constitute large portion of your score. Once you are able to solve 90% Easy questions with accuracy and well in time, you may concentrate of tougher questions. To raise your score above 35 you would definitely need to solve tougher questions.

fawreel902 wrote:
Hi guys,

Im just wondering, what kind of question difficulty on quant do I need to master to get at least a 40? Is it enough just to know the medium questions and easy ones?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks vsaxenaGMAT. So if I want to get a 45 on my math quant for instance, how hard are the questions on that level? I particularly am not that great at thinking outside the box, Im ok at computational skills. Im thinking that if I am able to get 10 hard questions right on the test, 17-18 medium ones and the rest wrong I can still score a 45?
CIO
CIO
Send PM
[#permalink]
fawreel902 wrote:
Thanks vsaxenaGMAT. So if I want to get a 45 on my math quant for instance, how hard are the questions on that level? I particularly am not that great at thinking outside the box, Im ok at computational skills. Im thinking that if I am able to get 10 hard questions right on the test, 17-18 medium ones and the rest wrong I can still score a 45?

Unfortunately, there's really no way to answer this question to that level of specificity. Some things to remember about the test:

1. Scores are based on percentile. A 45 is roughly the 78th percentile. That means you have to do better than 77% of the population taking it. That's not going to be decided by a simple calculation of number of easies and number of mediums, but rather by a complex computer code that ranks you on a number of different things.

2. The test is a CAT. That means if you get one wrong, it'll give you an "easier" question, one that's lower scoring. So you can't really tally the number of mediums and hards, because they affect each other.

Broadly, though, if you want a 45, you are going to have to be very adept at all levels of GMAT questions. You may not have to nail the toughest questions the GMAT will put out, but you will have to consistently answer a number of questions correctly in a row, medium or hard. And, you can't plan which topics will be easier questions and which will be harder.

I agree with what vsaxenaGMAT wrote about answering the easy ones. That's important, because doing that would build your foundations to answer tougher ones. But the GMAT is a very tricky animal, and at the end of the day, you simply have to be prepared across the board for all topics at all levels of difficulty.
CIO
CIO
Send PM
[#permalink]
fawreel902 wrote:

Let me also add one thing. Scoring well on the GMAT is DEFINITELY dependent on not getting multiple questions wrong in a row. So in your scenario, 10 hard and 18 medium, leaves you with 9 wrong on the test. If you got all 9 wrong in a row, you will get a MUCH lower score than if they are scattered around the whole exam.

I know this from experience. I have deliberately missed 12 questions on various GMATs I've taken, and depending on how I spread those 12 around, my score changes. But it's always 12, 1/3 wrong. I've gotten a 770 before getting 12 wrong.

The main trick is to try to never have more than 1 wrong in a row. If you miss one, find, but try to recover and get the next one right. That's the ticket to success on the exam.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37571 posts