Last visit was: 17 Jun 2024, 03:48 It is currently 17 Jun 2024, 03:48
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33520 [1]
Given Kudos: 317
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 632407 [2]
Given Kudos: 82322
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33520 [1]
Send PM
Re: The two graph below show the marks obtained by two students A and B [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

chetan2u wrote:
The two graph below show the marks obtained by two students A and B in ten tests they took last year. The Red, Blue and Green lines indicate Highest scores, Average score and Lowest score respectively.­

The student whose median score was more than the average score was [Dropdown Placeholder #1], and he also scored less than the average score in [Dropdown Placeholder #2] tests.­

Attachment:
I20-01.png

Attachment:
I20-02.png

­chetan2u, can you please add the source? Thank you!

Thank you Bunuel

Posted from my mobile device
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33520 [0]
Send PM
Re: The two graph below show the marks obtained by two students A and B [#permalink]
Expert Reply

shilpitiwari wrote:
Can anyone pls help with the answer solution

shilpitiwari

Median is the middle of elements when placed in order, so here the Median score will be the middle score, that is average of 5th and 6th score.
Average is the mean of all scores and is already given to us by the blue line.

We do not have to calculate anything here. Just look for the number of columns top, which gives us the score, above blue line. Student B has 7 score above average score, so surely the 5th and 6th score here lie above the average score. Thus, the first blank is student B.

As there are 7 scores above the average score, remaining 10-7 or 3 scores will be below the average score. Hence, answer for second blank is 3.­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Hi, I'm still confused .. for Student B - the 5th and 6th scores are 49.5 and 44.5 -- therefore median -- 47 -- which is less than the average (48)

And for student B, median - 20 - which is also less than the average ..

Could you help clarify
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33520 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prakruti_Patil wrote:
Hi, I'm still confused .. for Student B - the 5th and 6th scores are 49.5 and 44.5 -- therefore median -- 47 -- which is less than the average (48)

And for student B, median - 20 - which is also less than the average ..

Could you help clarify

Median is not the average of the largest and smallest. It is the middle most value, if odd number of elements, and the average of two middle values, if even number of elements.

Here, there are 10 elements, so the average of 5th and 6th element will be the median.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Ah damnnn .. I did the stupidest mistake of not aligning the values! Thanks for explaining
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
­My god. I did a giant small mistake. I mistook the first graph to be for A and second for B.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93718 posts
DI Forum Moderator
999 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11442 posts