Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:06 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants [#permalink]
Just dropping in to wish the best to all those waiting !!!

Really hope GSB opens its flood gates soon!

All the very best guys :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
The suspense is even killing me!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
It wont take long to call people this afternoon to let them know. Its only a few minutes per phone call so they could easily punch through 300-400 acceptances this evening. I doubt people will complain about getting a phone call at 7pm.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
rhyme wrote:

well go run into their office and ask when they are going to be making calls. Or just go peak and see if all the adcoms have phones pressed to their ears with smiles on their faces.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
rhyme wrote:

well go run into their office and ask when they are going to be making calls. Or just go peak and see if all the adcoms have phones pressed to their ears with smiles on their faces.

Actually, they are in the back burning piles of papers, dancing around the inferno chanting something about the "necronomicon"... I'm not sure whats going on.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
riverripper wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Actually, they are in the back burning piles of papers, dancing around the inferno chanting something about the "necronomicon"... I'm not sure whats going on.

Love me some H.P. Lovecraft, Rhyme...LOL...but that's just plain MEAN... :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
ack ....... are all of you sure that no-one has recieved the phone call........I'm pissing myself thinking that others have recieved calls, and in the celebratory mood they've forgotten to post abt it here
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
I'm actually at Gleacher, so I can't see them anyway...

In the interim, allow me to share my case interview question with you:

Our client is a large grocery chain in Texas. Their stores are concentrated in suburbs, and they want to grow the firm (but only in Texas). They feel they have saturated the grocery market in the suburbs but are not willing to consider opening stores in a downtown area. They already have an online service and delivery service and are thinking of entering the convenience store business. Is this a good idea? If so, how should they do it?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Here is a good out there answer.

Open organic/whole foods type grocery stores. It serves a very different clientele and in general wont steal much business from their other stores, focus attention on wealthy areas. Yes I know most stores now have organic sections but nothing compared to the selection at a whole foods, and those places are experiencing great growth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Just a random guess...
They should focus on the latino or other ethnic market which are typically underserved?

what's the answer?

rhyme wrote:

Our client is a large grocery chain in Texas. Their stores are concentrated in suburbs, and they want to grow the firm (but only in Texas). They feel they have saturated the grocery market in the suburbs but are not willing to consider opening stores in a downtown area. They already have an online service and delivery service and are thinking of entering the convenience store business. Is this a good idea? If so, how should they do it?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Nice. Mind if I give it a shot?

I actually wouldnt recommend it because convenience stores would mean lower margins which they need to make up by the number of stores. But if you have to go this route with your response, I assume you have to give an alternate idea to follow through and why that may be better?

In that case, I would do some research on the number of Costco's and Sam's clubs in the area see if there is an need to have something similar instead. Existing resources (warehouse) then may be used. Of course this needs some research.

If they want to stick to convenience stores, are they planning on buying an existing successful chain which is in the market. That may not be a bad idea if the price is right.

How much data do they give you? How does an MBA student (ie. you) proceed?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
riverripper wrote:

Open organic/whole foods type grocery stores. It serves a very different clientele and in general wont steal much business from their other stores, focus attention on wealthy areas. Yes I know most stores now have organic sections but nothing compared to the selection at a whole foods, and those places are experiencing great growth.

Not sure that would work in Texas. would work better in California. Think about the market.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
You are supposed to ask clarifying questions like: "Who are their competitors" ... Not jump to an answer that fast :) What are the issues you should be considering? How might you come to the decision? What things will you consider? Based on those ideas, you come up with questions which the interviewer answers. It turns into a conversation, which helps you shape the position of your response. That said, your "fly from the hip" comments aren't entirely bad.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:

My opinion:

All in one Chains like walmart and target will eventually squeeze such pure grocery chains because they offer convenience and variety to consumers. Establishing convenience stores is not a great idea as it does not leverage any existing resources other than operational skills of running retail operation. So if you were to invest in a totally unrelated line of business, there are other good ideas to choose from.
Solution is to either go all-in-one where you face brutal competition from stores like walmart, or go very niche.
In any case the convenience store idea does not look promising.

Would be interested in seeing how people with business background approach such problem.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
hsampath wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Not sure that would work in Texas. would work better in California. Think about the market.

Actually, the biggest problem with his reply is that he's not answering the question the client asked. The client wants to know if they should open convenience stores, not whether they should be opening a different kind of grocery store. (In any case, they might already be selling organic foods, the interviewer never said otherwise).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Here's how I would approach the problem.

First, I need to understand WHY they want to enter this market. Likely, its because they want to grow and have excess cash. Second, I need to understand the market in general, who are the key competitors (Think 7eleven, etc). Since convenience stores, are by definition, a thing of convenience, one key question would be to understand how our client intends to differentiate itself. Why would someone shop at us rather than at X? So, then I'd ask myself what advantages I have as a grocery store - likely, its going to be in volume discounts, costs and advantageous pricing options. Our brand might be meaningful, but likely not a huge draw (when you go grab a snack from 7-11 how often do you actually "pick" where you go based on more than location?) ... So we would need to compete on price or location. So, first, we need to understand if there are any ways to compete on location. Barring that, we compete on price. Can we? Maybe. There are also some plausible economies of scale, namely since we already buy in bulk. Moreover, we should at least consider the possibility that we cannibalize our own grocery stores by doing this. That wouldn't help us at all. So, assuming we can compete on price (I'd assume that most good locations are likely already taken by the numerous other competitors) and that we are confident we wont cannibalize our own product lines (which you would get to by asking good questions of the interviewer), then the question boils down to two ways of entering:

1. Build our own - buying land, etc.
2. Buy out an existing small chain that maybe doesn't have great management or operations in place, revamp and relaunch.

For each of the 2 you'd want to list positives and negatives - synergies and concerns (for #1 for instance you have to buy land, build stores, find staff, etc.. for #2 you get all that off the ground, and possibly get advantageous locations as well)... If required, you could do a cost benefit analysis.

That would involve understanding key costs of each option, estimating market size, pricing, margins and profits. Based on those results (which I'd get by asking questions), I'd make a recommendation.

Originally posted by rhyme on 18 Dec 2007, 11:34.
Last edited by rhyme on 18 Dec 2007, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
I am assuming that the convenience store has a gas station as well. If it does, then it would definitely make sense to have the convenience stores just outside the grocery stores (like costco). This would add a new line of revenue and also help the existing stores. You would have to do some market research and pick/choose the right stores to have this added 'convenience store'. As someone else mentioned, most of these CS are low margin stores, so you have to have high volume or act as a supplement to the existing GS.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  39   40   41   42   43  ...  135   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts