Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:09 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants [#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
hsampath wrote:
yeah, exactly why I asked about the role :) When I asked a second year student abt GM and Chicago (esp in technology) he wasnt very enthusiastic about the opportunities. He said I'd be better off with maybe Hass thats closer to silicon valley. While thats a valid point, I was concerned when he talked of GSB as a mid-west school and said many tech companies dont come on campus.

Who would you be targeting? Offhand I know of Amazon, Orbitz, Google, NVIDIA that came to campus. Dell I think, Symantec as well. Oh Microsoft too (I should remember that since I won an xbox 360 at their presentation lol). There's probably others I haven't paid attention to. That said, he's probably right - we aren't in silicon valley, so you won't find a 100 tech firms on campus. There's also a trip they do out west to go visit some of these firms, so thats something some of the people pursuing high tech go for.

edit: I forgot, Apple is coming next week too.
edit 2: Oh yea, Sony came as well. (Sort of high tech depending on where you go)...

Nice explanation, rhyme.

My app status just changed to "Complete"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
max125 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
hsampath wrote:
yeah, exactly why I asked about the role :) When I asked a second year student abt GM and Chicago (esp in technology) he wasnt very enthusiastic about the opportunities. He said I'd be better off with maybe Hass thats closer to silicon valley. While thats a valid point, I was concerned when he talked of GSB as a mid-west school and said many tech companies dont come on campus.

Who would you be targeting? Offhand I know of Amazon, Orbitz, Google, NVIDIA that came to campus. Dell I think, Symantec as well. Oh Microsoft too (I should remember that since I won an xbox 360 at their presentation lol). There's probably others I haven't paid attention to. That said, he's probably right - we aren't in silicon valley, so you won't find a 100 tech firms on campus. There's also a trip they do out west to go visit some of these firms, so thats something some of the people pursuing high tech go for.

edit: I forgot, Apple is coming next week too.
edit 2: Oh yea, Sony came as well. (Sort of high tech depending on where you go)...

Nice explanation, rhyme.

My app status just changed to "Complete"

Max when did you submit your app? Mine still says received..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I submitted on 1/9. My second recommendation was submitted on 1/14.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
hsampath wrote:

That is probably true, but as rhyme already said, big tech firms will target GSB and Kellogg because of their name and strong students. But if your heart is set on tech, Haas, Stanford, and MIT will be better choices. I know Haas has a lot of tech conferences (not just your 1 or 2 per year ones) that address all sorts of tech. I was there for a consumer electronics "fair" once and it was pretty fun!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
hsampath wrote:

That is probably true, but as rhyme already said, big tech firms will target GSB and Kellogg because of their name and strong students. But if your heart is set on tech, Haas, Stanford, and MIT will be better choices. I know Haas has a lot of tech conferences (not just your 1 or 2 per year ones) that address all sorts of tech. I was there for a consumer electronics "fair" once and it was pretty fun!

It probably has alot to do with what position you want. If you want a finance position GSB may provide better opportunities than Haas. If you are aiming for a marketing position, then Kellogg will probably have an advantage over MIT. Location helps but companies are becoming more global, and a school that is famous for a particular area probably will have a big advantage over schools no matter the location.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
It probably has alot to do with what position you want. If you want a finance position GSB may provide better opportunities than Haas. If you are aiming for a marketing position, then Kellogg will probably have an advantage over MIT. Location helps but companies are becoming more global, and a school that is famous for a particular area probably will have a big advantage over schools no matter the location.

True, though there is also the argument that if the school's brand name is good, and you're a career switcher, you should try the school that's NOT famous for that field. For example, go to Kellogg if you want to switch into finance, or go to GSB to switch into marketing, etc. Less competition for you, since at GSB, you'll have to compete against all the very experienced and strong finance people, and similar for marketing.

As for tech, it may make sense to go to Kellogg/GSB if you want less competition, since a lot of people at Haas will be doing tech. The downside is slightly less exposure.

But I think any of the UE/E schools will be good, provided they're decent at your field. Fit is probably the most important.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
I honestly believe that trying to "play" the game - go to GSB for marketing, or go to X for Y or whatever is a fruitless exercise. For all you know, GSB might get 30 people interested in marketing who are super strong - and they apply for all the same jobs you do. Or they might not apply to any of the jobs you apply to. There's just far far too many variables to categorically say that going to X instead of Y if you want to do Z actually gives you a leg up. Moreover, at the end of the day, at any school, if Google shows up, you are gonna get a lot of people - qualified and not - throwing in applications. In other words - at least within the UE's I wouldn't worry too much about this kind of stuff. The name opens all the doors you want -- and no matter which school you go to -- there will be people (and probably several people) who are smarter, more accomplished, more professional, more capable, more polished and more prepared than you are anyway. Banking on your classmates being comparatively weak is a sure fire way to end up in trouble.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
I honestly believe that trying to "play" the game - go to GSB for marketing, or go to X for Y or whatever is a fruitless exercise. For all you know, GSB might get 30 people interested in marketing who are super strong - and they apply for all the same jobs you do. Or they might not apply to any of the jobs you apply to. There's just far far too many variables to categorically say that going to X instead of Y if you want to do Z actually gives you a leg up. Moreover, at the end of the day, at any school, if Google shows up, you are gonna get a lot of people - qualified and not - throwing in applications. In other words - at least within the UE's I wouldn't worry too much about this kind of stuff. The name opens all the doors you want -- and no matter which school you go to -- there will be people (and probably several people) who are smarter, more accomplished, more professional, more capable, more polished and more prepared than you are anyway. Banking on your classmates being comparatively weak is a sure fire way to end up in trouble.

Well, to each their own.

But as I said, in the end, it's where you feel most comfortable that matters. That's why I'm saying that you should NOT just choose GSB because you want to do finance or Kellogg because you want to do marketing, even if you feel that there is no "fit." I'm advocating that if you find the right "fit" at a UE (and some Elite) school, then go there, and just worry about the strengths or weaknesses.

Otherwise, I would not be considering Haas for tech, since everyone and their mother there is probably interested in tech. :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Agreed, and I was just arguing the flipside of that coin. Were talking the same thing methinks. Tomato. Tomato.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
yeah, I think after re-reading what you wrote, we're saying the same thing.

Either way, I'd be very very very happy with either a Haas or Kellogg admit, no matter what they're strong in! :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Thanks rhyme! If all these companies are hiring, that's great...yeah, the student did tell me about the trip to the west coast too. Plus if I wanted to join a smaller start-uppy company, I know I will have to rely on my contacts/network more than the school.

And good discussion all of you. I agree, fit is most important.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
So interview invites start on the 23rd? :?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
adcxaway wrote:
So interview invites start on the 23rd? :?

Do they? I don't know... feeling anxious?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Yeah. According to the GSB Chat.

G-407106649__Guest_: Dear Ted, my name is Luiz, I live in Brazil, and it is a pleasure to participate in this chat with you. I applied for Chicago GSB and would like to know when you are starting to release interview appointments.

Joanne: Hi Luiz, I'll take your question. Round 2 invitations to interview will begin to be released next week on January 23rd. We'll release these decisions on a rolling basis through February 20th. These are released in random order.

Heh. Am definitely feeling anxious. Got dinged all around, Chicago GSB is the one that I want most, but it's my final fantasy. So hopefully, fingers crossed, I'll get an interview and an admit. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
adcxaway wrote:
Heh. Am definitely feeling anxious. Got dinged all around, Chicago GSB is the one that I want most, but it's my final fantasy. So hopefully, fingers crossed, I'll get an interview and an admit. :)

Ya my wife is really hoping I get into Chicago GSB. She doesn't fancy Ann Arbor.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
bherronp wrote:
adcxaway wrote:

Ya my wife is really hoping I get into Chicago GSB. She doesn't fancy Ann Arbor.

My wife didn't even let me apply to Ross last year. I feel ya.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Looks like all the wives love Chicago. My wife is rooting me for me to get into GSB or Kellogg as well...:)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  63   64   65   66   67  ...  135   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts