It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 07:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2008, 11:01
Same thing here, when I showed where Tuck and Cornel were, she looked at me with that face: please let's go to the city.

She waived Stanford, since San Jose and San Francisco are not taht far away.
_________________

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t57360

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2008, 11:15
Am I the only one, whose wife is happy about going to Ann Arbor? Then again, she was sooo happy that I got into a school at last, no matter where... :-D

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 138

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2008, 11:41
helg wrote:
Am I the only one, whose wife is happy about going to Ann Arbor? Then again, she was sooo happy that I got into a school at last, no matter where... :-D



Hope you like making the Michigan left turn! :-D

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5926

Kudos [?]: 2209 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2008, 11:49
Irishfan wrote:
helg wrote:
Am I the only one, whose wife is happy about going to Ann Arbor? Then again, she was sooo happy that I got into a school at last, no matter where... :-D



Hope you like making the Michigan left turn! :-D


IS that a Notre Dame Logo with the Chicago GSB logo as the background? You planning on going to both? :)

Kudos [?]: 2209 [0], given: 7

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 138

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2008, 12:04
rhyme wrote:
Irishfan wrote:
helg wrote:
Am I the only one, whose wife is happy about going to Ann Arbor? Then again, she was sooo happy that I got into a school at last, no matter where... :-D



Hope you like making the Michigan left turn! :-D


IS that a Notre Dame Logo with the Chicago GSB logo as the background? You planning on going to both? :)


:twisted:

103-t58568?sk=t&sd=a

For what it's worth, I'm now in contact with the ND dean of the business school...we'll see what happens!

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 872

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 4

Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2008, 13:41
My gf went to Michigan for law school and begged me to apply to Ross. For what its worth, she absolutely loves Ann Arbor and chose UM over Virginia, Northwestern, Cornell, Yale, NYU, Penn, and Chicago, when she applied to law schools about 7 years back. According to her, you can't judge a book by its cover. Everyone hears Michigan and thinks about Detroit. It doesn't even compare. Michigan is a total college town. The city shuts down on game days and they fill the Big House every game (even this year after two consecutive losses to open the season). Anybody interested in experiencing a sports culture while attending school should definitely visit.

Also, don't underestimate the Michigan network. We live in Cali, and it seems like anytime we go out and she is wearing a sweatshirt, hat, or some sort of Michigan apparel, without fail, we always hear at least one "Go Blue!"

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 4

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1552

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 1

Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2008, 13:45
helg, your wife has company. My wife loved A2 when we visited. She even thinks I should go to Ross no matter what;even if I get an admit from W, Chi or MIT.

helg wrote:
Am I the only one, whose wife is happy about going to Ann Arbor? Then again, she was sooo happy that I got into a school at last, no matter where... :-D

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 589

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2008, 13:59
ryguy904 wrote:
My gf went to Michigan for law school and begged me to apply to Ross. For what its worth, she absolutely loves Ann Arbor and chose UM over Virginia, Northwestern, Cornell, Yale, NYU, Penn, and Chicago, when she applied to law schools about 7 years back. According to her, you can't judge a book by its cover. Everyone hears Michigan and thinks about Detroit. It doesn't even compare. Michigan is a total college town. The city shuts down on game days and they fill the Big House every game (even this year after two consecutive losses to open the season). Anybody interested in experiencing a sports culture while attending school should definitely visit.


I think my wife would like the town. Its the difficulty in finding a job she is concerned about.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 164

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2008, 14:02
ncprasad wrote:
helg, your wife has company. My wife loved A2 when we visited. She even thinks I should go to Ross no matter what;even if I get an admit from W, Chi or MIT.

helg wrote:
Am I the only one, whose wife is happy about going to Ann Arbor? Then again, she was sooo happy that I got into a school at last, no matter where... :-D


Michigan is an awesome place guys, you will love it. I would not mind living there. Unfortunately, the Michigan economy blows. So take that into consideration if your spouse seeks employment.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5926

Kudos [?]: 2209 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2008, 17:26
bherronp wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:
My gf went to Michigan for law school and begged me to apply to Ross. For what its worth, she absolutely loves Ann Arbor and chose UM over Virginia, Northwestern, Cornell, Yale, NYU, Penn, and Chicago, when she applied to law schools about 7 years back. According to her, you can't judge a book by its cover. Everyone hears Michigan and thinks about Detroit. It doesn't even compare. Michigan is a total college town. The city shuts down on game days and they fill the Big House every game (even this year after two consecutive losses to open the season). Anybody interested in experiencing a sports culture while attending school should definitely visit.


I think my wife would like the town. Its the difficulty in finding a job she is concerned about.


Yea, thats the problem.

Kudos [?]: 2209 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2005
Posts: 141

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

Location: Boston,MA
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2008, 12:13
Are there any unspoken rules for thanking recommenders for their assistance in our MBA journey?
How did you guys appreciate their work and time apart from verbal thank you?
Any suggestions or is it necessary to thank them with materialistic gestures
_________________

--gregspirited

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5926

Kudos [?]: 2209 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2008, 12:27
gregspirited wrote:
Are there any unspoken rules for thanking recommenders for their assistance in our MBA journey?
How did you guys appreciate their work and time apart from verbal thank you?
Any suggestions or is it necessary to thank them with materialistic gestures


I took one of mine to dinner (the other I just thanked over the phone). Granted, I hadn't anticipated the $540 some odd dollars bill we got, but it was worth it.

Kudos [?]: 2209 [0], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 324

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2008, 12:29
gregspirited wrote:
Are there any unspoken rules for thanking recommenders for their assistance in our MBA journey?
How did you guys appreciate their work and time apart from verbal thank you?
Any suggestions or is it necessary to thank them with materialistic gestures


Am giving a bottle of good scotch and chocolates. Put me back by a couple of hundred dollars.. but it doesnt compare to them hitting the submit button within deadlines.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 1062

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2008, 12:44
I gifted both my recommenders a gift card to a mall close by that has some upscale restaurants and it cost me as much as an application fee to a school.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2008, 13:04
lots of ideas here:

Gift for recommender
103-t41429
Gift ideas for recommenders?
103-t40796
Random thought- Thank you gifts for Recommenders
103-t37772
Gift for Recommenders
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t43272
Gifts to recommenders
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t25597

Also put in the Knowledge Vault.
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 409

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2008, 16:28
gregspirited wrote:
Are there any unspoken rules for thanking recommenders for their assistance in our MBA journey?
How did you guys appreciate their work and time apart from verbal thank you?
Any suggestions or is it necessary to thank them with materialistic gestures


Took both for a good lunch and drinks after work. It was very appreciated.
_________________

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 1020

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2008, 19:27
So, I've heard that the interview invites will start rolling out tomorrow?

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 157

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2008, 22:33
nervousgmat wrote:
So, I've heard that the interview invites will start rolling out tomorrow?

and my status message says it is still "recieved" and nothing has been verified yet :(

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 985

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 8

Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2008, 22:37
good luck to everyone over the interviews. I hope its as good or better than the R1 response.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 8

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 217

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 2

Location: Dallas
Schools: Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2008, 09:46
Opened my email and saw one from admissions. Turns out that my application went 'complete', 14 days after submission. So, the wait officially begins!

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2008, 09:46

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  64   65   66   67   68  ...  135    Next  [ 2681 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: rohan2345



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.