Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 02:15 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
1) What school is on your list right now? NYU

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Regrouping. I got rejected at Stern w/o interview, but that's not going to deter me from reapplying for fall '09. I will be taking a few months off before I start revamping my essays though.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Knowing that I can possibly get rejected again. I won't be applying anywhere else, not because I'm overly confident and arrogant, but because NYU is the only place I want to get my MBA. Am I a naivete?

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Very serious. I wouldn't be here if I weren't.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
alright, just know that UCLA's official visit period in the fall is within 1 or 2 weeks of the R1 deadline...

So I heard back from the adcom at Marshall, and they said the last chance to really visit is April 9th. This is cutting it close. Still waiting to hear back from UCLA, though.

I want to go this year because of the deadlines..I'd most likely miss the R1 dates, because of how close it is
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Kudos
jbpayne wrote:
msday86 wrote:
I just visited Sloan and HBS this week, and I scheduled them through their websites. I'm pretty sure most of the Northeast schools are open to anyone at this time of year...

Would you mind sharing your experience?

Sure.

MIT Sloan thoughts - really loved it. the admissions student reps were VERY friendly and laid-back. I got a huge MIT information binder as soon as I got there, with a lot of useful info in it. The admissions person said that MIT lives up to its "heavy quant" reputation (duh). I sat in on a Marketing Management class (case method). The professor guided the discussion well, and I'd say about 20% of the class actively participated (I personally think this number is kinda low for a case class). The professor taught some marketing concepts as they came up through the discussions - this was new for me and I liked it very much. After class, they had a lunch spread for us and a couple of current students sat with us and talked about their backgrounds and what they thought about Sloan. They were pretty excited to be at Sloan, and they were pretty accomplished already in their careers. They all had business cards that they were quite willing to give out. Overall, I liked the atmosphere at MIT very much. It was very collegiate - the students were laid-back and hard-working, and while the campus itself is nothing to write home about, I know I love the city of Cambridge.

HBS thoughts - I liked HBS. The campus was like a "country club in the middle of Boston", as one of the students described it (it was indeed beautiful!). The students were VERY bright and VERY articulate - I sat in on a business/government class and I really saw the case method on full display. The professor was excellent - very animated and skilled at directing the debate among students. The students all made great points, and I'd say about 40% of the class participated, which I think is quite phenomenal. They were proud of their "section" and seemed to have had a lot of fun together so far this year.

Overall: These visits confirmed that b-school is the right step for me. I think I'm going to learn a lot, but I also have a lot to contribute (even though I will only have 2 yrs of experience at matriculation). The students at both places seemed fun, and the professors at both schools were great. If I had to rank them, I think I would have to put MIT over HBS in terms of pure fit. I just liked it better. I guess this is why it's important to actually go and visit the schools, because you may surprise yourself.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
msday86 wrote:
jbpayne wrote:
msday86 wrote:
I just visited Sloan and HBS this week, and I scheduled them through their websites. I'm pretty sure most of the Northeast schools are open to anyone at this time of year...

Would you mind sharing your experience?

Sure.

MIT Sloan thoughts - really loved it. the admissions student reps were VERY friendly and laid-back. I got a huge MIT information binder as soon as I got there, with a lot of useful info in it. The admissions person said that MIT lives up to its "heavy quant" reputation (duh). I sat in on a Marketing Management class (case method). The professor guided the discussion well, and I'd say about 20% of the class actively participated (I personally think this number is kinda low for a case class). The professor taught some marketing concepts as they came up through the discussions - this was new for me and I liked it very much. After class, they had a lunch spread for us and a couple of current students sat with us and talked about their backgrounds and what they thought about Sloan. They were pretty excited to be at Sloan, and they were pretty accomplished already in their careers. They all had business cards that they were quite willing to give out. Overall, I liked the atmosphere at MIT very much. It was very collegiate - the students were laid-back and hard-working, and while the campus itself is nothing to write home about, I know I love the city of Cambridge.

HBS thoughts - I liked HBS. The campus was like a "country club in the middle of Boston", as one of the students described it (it was indeed beautiful!). The students were VERY bright and VERY articulate - I sat in on a business/government class and I really saw the case method on full display. The professor was excellent - very animated and skilled at directing the debate among students. The students all made great points, and I'd say about 40% of the class participated, which I think is quite phenomenal. They were proud of their "section" and seemed to have had a lot of fun together so far this year.

Overall: These visits confirmed that b-school is the right step for me. I think I'm going to learn a lot, but I also have a lot to contribute (even though I will only have 2 yrs of experience at matriculation). The students at both places seemed fun, and the professors at both schools were great. If I had to rank them, I think I would have to put MIT over HBS in terms of pure fit. I just liked it better. I guess this is why it's important to actually go and visit the schools, because you may surprise yourself.

Thanks for the write-up. I'm visiting the schools on the 9th and 16th, so I'm glad to hear it's an enjoyable experience.

Does the quantitative nature of MIT's program play into your "fit" assessment?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Good question - the quantitative side of MIT didn't explicitly factor into my decision on fit...I was purely talking about "where do I see myself fitting in more?". Quant vs. non-quant hasn't factored into my decision yet, but maybe that is something to consider IF I get accepted to multiple schools :shock:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now? Chicago GSB, Kellogg, Columbia, Stern

2) What is the state of your current preparations?
* Finished GMAT (760)
* Scheduled visits in April.
* Trying to pump up leadership roles in community service experience.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point?
* how to give a solid explanation for wanting to switch to investment banking from engineering background. Female at 26 want to pursue an investment banking track kind have its disadvantages. :oops:

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point?
100% commitment
Current Student
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Oh God....I took my first practice GMAT at Manhattan GMAT online, and got a 580 (39Q/31V). Ouch!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
you'll get a much higher Quant score when you try GMATPrep. Manhattan GMAT Quant scores are generally a lot lower (4-5 pts for me) than the real test. I was shocked when I first took it.

Verbal is pretty close though.
Current Student
 Q44  V38
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
you'll get a much higher Quant score when you try GMATPrep. Manhattan GMAT Quant scores are generally a lot lower (4-5 pts for me) than the real test. I was shocked when I first took it.

Verbal is pretty close though.

Yeah, I remember hearing that Manhattan GMAT quant is generally lower than an actual test, so I'll take that into account. The verbal was tricky though...seemed every question had two valid answers. Looks like I guessed wrong though. This'll just make it more rewarding when I do get my 700!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
1) What schools are on your list right now? Stanford (just applied for R3 yesterday), Haas, MIT, Harvard, INSEAD, LBS (plan on applying this year as well).

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Wrote the GMAT (750), rewriting in a bit to get a higher score. Plan on starting another business to ever more pitch my entrepreneurial side.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? The reference letters. I've been self-employed for a while, and plan to continue to be self employed.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? It's my #1 priority at the moment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I never posted here too often...but my account was canceled or something ...so I had to create a VictoryMBA #2...I really wanted to join you early birds..haha 8-)

Right now my school list is Dartmouth, Yale, Duke, UCLA....this may change drastically once I take the GMAT. I'm starting Manhattan Gmat next month...so hopefully I won't have to change my school choices too much :)

I went to some diversity weekends a few months ago (Duke and UCLA...hoping to go to Yale's this year)) with the full intention of applying this cycle...however I thought another year of work experience combined with some well planned essays and test prep is totally worth it if it means I get to go to one of my top choice schools.

I started researching this whole business school thing about a year ago, and thought I was a bit too young (24)...now I'm 25, but I won't matriculate until I'm 27 (my b-day is in August)...which I'm starting to fear is on the cusp of being too old (thanks guys).

My biggest fear is bombing the GMAT and having to wait around for another year to reapply. That's not going to happen though...I am 100% committed to attending b-school in the fall of 2009.
Current Student
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Here's the word I *finally* received back from UCLA:

"Thank you for your interest in UCLA Anderson.

Unfortunately, we do not have an updated schedule of classes to visit during
our spring quarter at this time.

We are currently awaiting approval from our faculty. We will have an updated
schedule of classes on our website in a few weeks.

Please check our website under visit Anderson at
https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x2935.xml to register for your class visit.

We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions, please
contact admissions.

Best regards,

KE
MBA Admissions
"

Oh well. Looks like I'll just be visiting USC. How could they NOT have a class schedule for the spring semester yet? It's almost over!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
1) What school is on your list right now? Many - Will think about them later

2) What is the state of your current preparations? 6 apps - 4 dings and 2 WLs so far. Will retake the GMAT

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Getting old and haven't really improved my profile much this year after / during all these rejections

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? More serious than ever.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Omne, PM me and I'll get you some students you can contact for an informal class visit (which is what I did anyway).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Omne, PM me and I'll get you some students you can contact for an informal class visit (which is what I did anyway).

kryzak, I'm planning to campus visit Kellogg two weeks from now. Do you have any suggestions on how to maximize the visit? Thank you .
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
you could pm me or riverripper... :)
Current Student
 Q44  V38
Send PM
kryzak wrote:

Will do. On a side note, I booked my trip. I'll be in LA from 4/5 to 4/8, with a class visit and all that jazz at USC on 4/7. Woo!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11