Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:55 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Early Birds: Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
In -

1) What schools are on your list right now? - Kellogg, HAAS , Darden, Fuqua,Ross,Kelley,Krannert,Notredame,Madison ( have shortlisted schools based on ranking in MBA in Management/Operations & Information technology)

2) What is the state of your current preparations? – Re-taking GMAT this June Second week to score 700 +.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? – Uncertainty of losing job due to economic downturn (manufacturig sector), achieving high score in GMAT.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? Extremely serious
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
Omne thanks for posting the question and Kryzak thanks for answering it. I have a very similar situation and I was thinking if I should go ahead and interview with a prospective company. Thanks again.

kryzak wrote:
Hi Omne, I'm definitely not the expert on this, but I don't see any reason why the adcoms would question your desire to switch jobs if it pays more, is more convenient, and gives you better experience. That is the type of drive that they look for in an MBA student (I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got :P). There are two things you'll need to make sure you do well if you take the job:

1. Make sure you don't burn bridges, since you probably will need at least one recommendation from your old job, if not both (since you'd only be working for less than 6 months at the new job before you have turn in recs, and recs take months to complete). So identify people who would be willing to write you a very good rec at your current company and let them know about your MBA intentions.

2. Make sure you can tell a good story about why this new job is better for you, and how it made you into a better candidate for School X.

If you can do both, then I think you're golden. I mean, Adcoms cannot expect people to *know* that they'll get into a B-school this fall (especially if you look at the amazing stats of our "Zero Admits Club", ALL of whom should have gotten into at least one school), so they do not expect you to halt your entire professional life just because you're applying.

Hope that helped!
Current Student
 Q44  V38
Send PM
I've asked this question in several places (including current MBA students and on the BW forums) and every answer has been the same: if you get the opportunity, go for it. Especially if it would enhance your application in some way (as I believe mine would). Glad we can help!

And it appears I've become a moderator! Woo!

spideyeclipse27 wrote:
Omne thanks for posting the question and Kryzak thanks for answering it. I have a very similar situation and I was thinking if I should go ahead and interview with a prospective company. Thanks again.

kryzak wrote:
Hi Omne, I'm definitely not the expert on this, but I don't see any reason why the adcoms would question your desire to switch jobs if it pays more, is more convenient, and gives you better experience. That is the type of drive that they look for in an MBA student (I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got :P). There are two things you'll need to make sure you do well if you take the job:

1. Make sure you don't burn bridges, since you probably will need at least one recommendation from your old job, if not both (since you'd only be working for less than 6 months at the new job before you have turn in recs, and recs take months to complete). So identify people who would be willing to write you a very good rec at your current company and let them know about your MBA intentions.

2. Make sure you can tell a good story about why this new job is better for you, and how it made you into a better candidate for School X.

If you can do both, then I think you're golden. I mean, Adcoms cannot expect people to *know* that they'll get into a B-school this fall (especially if you look at the amazing stats of our "Zero Admits Club", ALL of whom should have gotten into at least one school), so they do not expect you to halt your entire professional life just because you're applying.

Hope that helped!
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Schools:INSEAD- D '11 Class
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, everyone. Here are my thoughts.

1) What schools are on your list right now? LBS, INSEAD, IMD, Columbia and HEC Paris.

2) What is the state of your current preparations? I am working on getting my GMAT over the 700 line. Additionally, I am working my contact at LBS and trying to find someone from INSEAD who will speak with me. Furthermore, I am trying to pinch every penny that I can so that I can save up a trip to Europe with my husband this fall to check out the schools.... I'm seriously considering forcing him to become a stripper at night....

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Well, there are many facets to my fear. 1) I fear that I'm over confident for thinking that I can get into my target schools, 2) I don't fully understand the whole application process, 3) I don't know understand the schools well and therefore can't determine the "fit" which leads to, 4) I can't effectively market myself.... well, you get the point. I am pretty much in the state of sekf doubt. Plus I know that my bosses want me to to take over their position when they retire in the next few years so there is that temptation there. Althought I am sure that I want to get out of international banking for once and all.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? I am serious. This is the year for change.

To all the 2009ers, this is the time for us to work hard. Congratulations to the 2008ers! J2009ers, we will go through this painful process together and one year from now, we will (hopefully) be kicking back and congratulating ourselves and each other for getting into the schools of our dreams.

:P
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JZHANG2008 wrote:
Hi, everyone. Here are my thoughts.

1) What schools are on your list right now? LBS, INSEAD, IMD, Columbia and HEC Paris.

2) What is the state of your current preparations? I am working on getting my GMAT over the 700 line. Additionally, I am working my contact at LBS and trying to find someone from INSEAD who will speak with me. Furthermore, I am trying to pinch every penny that I can so that I can save up a trip to Europe with my husband this fall to check out the schools.... I'm seriously considering forcing him to become a stripper at night....

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Well, there are many facets to my fear. 1) I fear that I'm over confident for thinking that I can get into my target schools, 2) I don't fully understand the whole application process, 3) I don't know understand the schools well and therefore can't determine the "fit" which leads to, 4) I can't effectively market myself.... well, you get the point. I am pretty much in the state of sekf doubt. Plus I know that my bosses want me to to take over their position when they retire in the next few years so there is that temptation there. Althought I am sure that I want to get out of international banking for once and all.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? I am serious. This is the year for change.

To all the 2009ers, this is the time for us to work hard. Congratulations to the 2008ers! J2009ers, we will go through this painful process together and one year from now, we will (hopefully) be kicking back and congratulating ourselves and each other for getting into the schools of our dreams.

:P

LOL Part 2 is hilarious! :] I think you should make him strip to "I'm in love with a stripper!" Ha ha! Appears that we both have the same fear about Graduate Schools. I still have 3 years to think about it. :/ Uuugghh seems like my year will be very competitive!

Goodluck, you guys!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
TheRiskTaker wrote:

LOL Part 2 is hilarious! :] I think you should make him strip to "I'm in love with a stripper!" Ha ha! Appears that we both have the same fear about Graduate Schools. I still have 3 years to think about it. :/ Uuugghh seems like my year will be very competitive!

Goodluck, you guys!

I think 2009 might be the most competitive year for a while...I expect it to get "easier" starting 2010. Who knows what will happen, though?
Current Student
 Q44  V38
Send PM
msday86 wrote:

I think 2009 might be the most competitive year for a while...I expect it to get "easier" starting 2010. Who knows what will happen, though?

We shall see. I too think it will be insanely competitive. That's why it's good that we are all starting this earlier than normal, and we're in this together. I encourage everyone to keep posting and learn from the fellow GMATClubbers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Oh my GOD........
I M BACK on GMATCLUB...... I dont know how to express this joy in words....... :lol:

Ok guys, what happened was something of an irony....... Here's my story.....Posting it here since so much has changed since I was locked out............

I was a quiet lurker since the time I thought of doing an MBA from U.S....... But became a member and started posting and learning from others about B-School........ (Date of my joining-25th Jan 2006 :roll: much before most of the people here )....... almost an year flew by and I decided to give the GMAT......... Once again GMATCLUB was extremely helpful........ GmatClub had become my online home......... But, I don't know how, by some cruel fate, just two days before the GMAT(scheduled on 3rd Sep-07), I couldn't log on to GMATCLUB, it was as if my online home was snatched away from me..........

Anywayz...... I scored 7XX(the XX don't matter..... they're all the same) on the GMAT........ wanted desperately to write a debrief since I had benefitted from countless debriefs read on GMATCLUB...... But in vain......... I just couldn't login....... Completely barred....... :?
I wanted to contact praet or bb or any of the administrators........ but couldn't find the mail-id's coz the site wont let me in......... Reinstalled windows, tried again, failed again....... :x formatted the drive, tried again, failed again.... :( :cry: ..... Finally, after some days, I got mail-id of one administrator...... Tino........ I asked him about my account... and he replied that it is still active and I should be able to log on........... But again all efforts in vain..........

I have to apply this year in fall........ and when I returned to my researching, I gave GMATCLUB one more shot........ and voila.......... it accepted me........ Is it a sign from above that apps will be successful, just like the GMAT was??? I don't know......... :wink:

What i know is that i've always loved this place and I am truly ecstatic to return to the forums...... :lol:

P.S.: I urge all administrators ad moderators to please put all their email-id's in one place and make that place as public as possible, so that people can contact you even if they are not members( or in such an unlucky circumstance as a lockout, as mine). It will surely help someone, someday..........
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Has anyone started on Columbia early decision essays? I wonder if the J-term essays are going to be the same as the early decision essays. Anyone?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
msday86 wrote:
TheRiskTaker wrote:

Goodluck, you guys!

I'm predicting it's going to be get more competitive every year if you think about it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
Cool thread..... nice to see what everyone is up to. Due to the commitment of my job (military), I won't be able to matriculate until Fall 2010, but nobody was paranoid enough to start the Fall 2010 applicants thread, so I will join yours instead. Really, it is great to read the insights and opinions here, something that is immensely helpful to me.

1) What schools are on your list right now? Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia and via Consortium, Tuck, Darden and Texas (Texas is free for military veterans from that state - a great fallback!)

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Minimal - occasional GMAT prep, but I really don't plan on taking the test for about a year. I will probably take Manhattan online prep in a few months. I live in a foreign country now, so traditional ECs are a bit harder to come by. Aside from that, I have almost 2 years until Apps are due - just trying to do the best in my job and plan accordingly. Some people are afraid of losing their job in a recession - I have quite the opposite problem, I can't leave my job!

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? I honestly don't find anything "scary", but it is easy to say that when you look at it two years out. I worry the most about getting adequate time to prepare for the GMAT - my GPA is slightly below the average for these schools, although it is deflated being from a Service Academy. I have a 4.0 Masters degree, but I understand how important the GMAT will be to get over the bar, and I can forsee difficulty finding the time to study. I am a fighter pilot by trade, and we are somewhat busy with that Iraq thing.....

Also, age is a question. I will be 32 when I matriculate. I have heard from a million people (including people I know in these schools) that your age is not important when applying from the military pool, but still, it is a factor. It will only get worse with military pilots - I owed 8 years of service after getting "winged", the post 9/11 group owes 10. Still, there is nothing I can do about that, so I don't worry about it.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? 100%. I have decided to leave the military after this tour (the soonest I legally can), and have also decided to pursue an MBA. I loved being a military pilot, still do, and I feel like I get paid to have fun.... but I always felt my service was a duty, and not a career. When I was younger, I had mixed thoughts between law and business school... I am glad I have now seen the light like you guys (I have had too many drinks with depressed lawyers).

Anyways, good luck to everyone, and I will probably post again in a year or two.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
RonMexico wrote:
Cool thread..... nice to see what everyone is up to. Due to the commitment of my job (military), I won't be able to matriculate until Fall 2010, but nobody was paranoid enough to start the Fall 2010 applicants thread, so I will join yours instead. Really, it is great to read the insights and opinions here, something that is immensely helpful to me.

1) What schools are on your list right now? Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia and via Consortium, Tuck, Darden and Texas (Texas is free for military veterans from that state - a great fallback!)

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Minimal - occasional GMAT prep, but I really don't plan on taking the test for about a year. I will probably take Manhattan online prep in a few months. I live in a foreign country now, so traditional ECs are a bit harder to come by. Aside from that, I have almost 2 years until Apps are due - just trying to do the best in my job and plan accordingly. Some people are afraid of losing their job in a recession - I have quite the opposite problem, I can't leave my job!

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? I honestly don't find anything "scary", but it is easy to say that when you look at it two years out. I worry the most about getting adequate time to prepare for the GMAT - my GPA is slightly below the average for these schools, although it is deflated being from a Service Academy. I have a 4.0 Masters degree, but I understand how important the GMAT will be to get over the bar, and I can forsee difficulty finding the time to study. I am a fighter pilot by trade, and we are somewhat busy with that Iraq thing.....

Also, age is a question. I will be 32 when I matriculate. I have heard from a million people (including people I know in these schools) that your age is not important when applying from the military pool, but still, it is a factor. It will only get worse with military pilots - I owed 8 years of service after getting "winged", the post 9/11 group owes 10. Still, there is nothing I can do about that, so I don't worry about it.

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? 100%. I have decided to leave the military after this tour (the soonest I legally can), and have also decided to pursue an MBA. I loved being a military pilot, still do, and I feel like I get paid to have fun.... but I always felt my service was a duty, and not a career. When I was younger, I had mixed thoughts between law and business school... I am glad I have now seen the light like you guys (I have had too many drinks with depressed lawyers).

Anyways, good luck to everyone, and I will probably post again in a year or two.

1. Love your login name. Can't believe that one hadn't been taken :-D

2. You really shouldn't worry too much about age. The "jihad" against older applicants has mostly been against those in finance and other more typical pre-MBA fields. Your background is extraordinary (a fighter pilot in Iraq!?) with a clear time commitment preventing you from applying before 2010. Adcoms will absolutely not hold that against you. I speak from experience... I'm a 32 year old from an atypical background too. I know 35+ year old admits at several of the top schools, and most of them come from the military.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
terry12 wrote:
RonMexico wrote:

2. You really shouldn't worry too much about age. The "jihad" against older applicants has mostly been against those in finance and other more typical pre-MBA fields. Your background is extraordinary (a fighter pilot in Iraq!?) with a clear time commitment preventing you from applying before 2010. Adcoms will absolutely not hold that against you. I speak from experience... I'm a 32 year old from an atypical background too. I know 35+ year old admits at several of the top schools, and most of them come from the military.

Terry, how nice of a superstar 2008 matriculator to drop by and say hi :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys/gals,

Joining the team as well.

1) What schools are on your list right now?
Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Haas, Anderson

I'm currently in IT Project Management (worked in consulting as well). I want to move into strategy consulting (short term) and then move into business dev in the media industry. Any advice on other schools I should consider? I'm going to be 28-going-on-29 at matriculation (and I'm European).

2) What is the state of your current preparations? Done with the GMAT (730 Q50 V39). Currently going through introspection and school research.

3) What's the scariest part of the process at this point? Reading the forums, I suddenly felt old. Scariest bit is probably the essay - I have changed a couple of jobs and will need to explain that...

4) How serious is your pursuit at this point? 100% - there is no going back.

Thanks for the inputs!

Andrea
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Quote:

Kudos to my fellow seattle-ite zhang for that! I bet the "stripper to pay for school" thing would make a GREAT essay! talk about motivation! :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
terry12 wrote:

Cool - nice to hear that some old men get in now and then, and we are not automatically confused with Tom Smykowski from "Office Space". Congrats on your accomplishments. While it is all anecdotal, I have likewise heard that hitting the age 29 death knell is mostly for the more cookie-cutter pre-MBA candidates, and most of the 30+ folk tend to be PhD, JD and military officers. Either way, getting into a top-3 school is a long shot down the field.... <<insert Ron Mexico analogy>>
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Omne wrote:
I've asked this question in several places (including current MBA students and on the BW forums) and every answer has been the same: if you get the opportunity, go for it. Especially if it would enhance your application in some way (as I believe mine would). Glad we can help!

And it appears I've become a moderator! Woo!

spideyeclipse27 wrote:

kryzak wrote:

Hope that helped!

I was in a similar situation and I decided it was not fair to the new company to take a position knowing that I would be leaving in a little over a year. I think it's something to think about if you are in this situation.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11