Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:36 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Sorry if I offend anyone but I really wanted to know why you all are so anxious/excited about getting into NYU Langone, a program that won't give you any valuable assistance from their career services and treats the Langone students as their ATM machines and second-class citizens?

Did you stop to consider the fact that we are not all career switchers?

Langone isn't set up with career switching in mind. In the essay about why a PT MBA makes sense, they are looking for why it makes sense for you to advance with your company. In other words, why are you going PT and not FT? When I was at the information session, the speaker specifically said that one of the main things they look for in your essays is why your company supports your decision to go PT. What value will the MBA add in their eyes? There are many reasons to go PT over FT but one of the main ones in Langone's eyes should be advancement in your current profession. If you want to switch jobs or careers, go FT. Since they look at the PT people as people with jobs who aren't switching careers, why should they pour resources into the career services center? NYU doesn't look at the PT people as second class citizens at all. They do a great job helping working professionals achieve the goal of advancement in their current profession. If, however, you are a PT MBA career switcher, you can find your own recruiter very easily. If you're proactive, you can get this done on your own. It's all about personal motivation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Whylangone wrote:
Sorry if I offend anyone but I really wanted to know why you all are so anxious/excited about getting into NYU Langone, a program that won't give you any valuable assistance from their career services and treats the Langone students as their ATM machines and second-class citizens?

Because it’s NYU.

The Langone core program is incredible. I have my courses pretty much mapped out, and I can’t stop from having a little giddy excitement from reading the syllabi (although my girlfriend feels I am crazy for this.) Moreover, what is better than presenting a case analysis and then having that reviewed by classmates that are just as competitive and passionate as you? If the people in this thread are any indication, Langone will be worth it just because of the student body.

What strikes me most in the new student tour is how the Langone program seems to draw all the strength from Stern full time, yet maintains its own discrete identity. Furthermore, the adcom seems to pay particular attention to creating a class that has a wealth of professional experience among a variety of fields. In fact, I believe that Langone’s reluctance to help those with career placement is linked to the fact that it tends to admit students that have good positions in good companies. Some top companies have multiple representatives in the 2008 database, and I am sure the company is paying tuition. Would it make sense for Langone to help these students leave their sponsoring company?

Langone seems to be a means for successful professionals to refine themselves and take their careers to the next level. It is not a career or job switcher’s school.

Of course I am just a newly admitted student, but my early impressions are that Langone is all that it’s billed to be. People are still killing themselves just to get in, so I must not be too far off the mark.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tenore wrote:
Whylangone wrote:

Because it’s NYU.

The Langone core program is incredible. I have my courses pretty much mapped out, and I can’t stop from having a little giddy excitement from reading the syllabi (although my girlfriend feels I am crazy for this.) Moreover, what is better than presenting a case analysis and then having that reviewed by classmates that are just as competitive and passionate as you? If the people in this thread are any indication, Langone will be worth it just because of the student body.

What strikes me most in the new student tour is how the Langone program seems to draw all the strength from Stern full time, yet maintains its own discrete identity. Furthermore, the adcom seems to pay particular attention to creating a class that has a wealth of professional experience among a variety of fields. In fact, I believe that Langone’s reluctance to help those with career placement is linked to the fact that it tends to admit students that have good positions in good companies. Some top companies have multiple representatives in the 2008 database, and I am sure the company is paying tuition. Would it make sense for Langone to help these students leave their sponsoring company?

Langone seems to be a means for successful professionals to refine themselves and take their careers to the next level. It is not a career or job switcher’s school.

Of course I am just a newly admitted student, but my early impressions are that Langone is all that it’s billed to be. People are still killing themselves just to get in, so I must not be too far off the mark.

what companies are represented?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
On a different note, I put core group purple as my #1 choice and it looks like I got it. If anyone wants to group with a fellow gmat clubber, pick purple!

It’s a 6pm – 9pm Monday (firms and Markets) / Wednesday (Statistics and Data Analysis) schedule.

Has anyone else finished the registration thing and ranked their core group choices?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Quote:
Has anyone else finished the registration thing and ranked their core group choices?

I have. I put Blue as #1 and Orange as #2. I'm trying to do Tuesday Thursday. Where do you see if you got your core choice?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nyuorpace wrote:
Whylangone wrote:

What are the alternatives?

Fordham is an excellent option. They were my backup (and they are friendly and they admitted me within a few days of having all my data.)

Uconn and Rutgers are also great, and of course there is Baruch.

Pace, Hofstra and St. Johns are usually considered less than the above. The average gmat and avg starting salary reflect this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think Tenore and CFA22 hit it on the head. Sure, the part-time program will be a different experience from the full-time, but we all realize the differences between the 2 and considered them in our decision to go part time. While I think the full time program is a better experience in many aspects, part-time made more sense for me. I personally plan to stay within my industry and will gladly accept my company's offer to pay for my MBA. Additionally, NYU does a far superior job than any other NY PT MBA program in terms of the networking and social aspects that are a big part of an MBA program.

On another note, anyone get any feedback on the professors teaching the courses this fall? I've heard good things about Melnick (Wed stats), but I spoke to a few friends who were in the program and they didn't really know anything about any of the others.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CFACharterholder22 wrote:
Quote:

I have. I put Blue as #1 and Orange as #2. I'm trying to do Tuesday Thursday. Where do you see if you got your core choice?

My girlfirend also goes to NYU, so Mon / Wed allows us to commute together. That's a shame... would have been fun to be in the same core group.

Anyway, in the student information system (https://ais.stern.nyu.edu/) there is a link to 'remaining requirements'. For me, it indicates that I will be taking Firms and Markets and Statistics. Only blue and purple have those combinations. Since I am probably among the earliest to register, I am simply presuming that of the two, I got my first choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Awesome! I just checked and I'm in the Blue core group! Go Blue!!

I wanted to do Monday Wednesday but my girlfriend takes Physique 57 classes on Tuesday Thursday. This way, our schedules match up much better. However, this schedule basically ruins my Monday night football watching for two years. With MW, I would be in class until 9, have the game recording and start at 9:30 with an hour of fast forwarding built in to the game (starts at 8:30). That means no commercials and no half-time and that would be sweet. With TR, Monday is now a main studying/homework night prior to class. Bummer.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any people admitted into weekend program? Or majority are weekdays program? Thanks!

................. I am applying weekend one, still waiting ..............................
Intern
Intern
Send PM
good question, i'm in the same boat. weekday's aren't an option for me.

what's the number up to?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
I want to do Tues+Thurs too, but I have Orange as #1 and Blue as #2 - just random picks for me! I went to that link and clicked on remaining requirements but didn't see anything yet.

As for the whole "why do you want NYU so badly?" debate, I figured I'd add my perspective on the matter:

Quite simply, NYU has always been a dream of mine. Even before I knew I wanted to get a business degree in undergrad, I applied there and got accepted but not to the program of my choice. From that point on, I just mapped out how I wanted to go about doing things: go to a decent school for my undergrad (St. John's), not to mention they offered me a ton of scholarship money, get my grades up, have at least 2 yrs of job experience, study my ass of for the GMAT, THEN get into NYU.

A few friends of mine jumped straight into getting their MBAs but I decided to wait. Roughly 2 yrs of work experience in, it was getting to that point where I was just going to go ANYWHERE just to get it over with, but I'm glad I waited b/c since getting my job as a Product Manager, I now know that this is what I want to study. And I evaluated all the other PT programs in the city and none of them even come close to the range of classes that NYU offers in this subject. I obviously cannot speak to the career services offered there, but I am a firm believer in making your own breaks and finding your own opportunities - any career service, whether school sponsored or an independent one, can only get you so far if YOU don't make the effort. So it all comes down to personal preference and achieving my long term goal for me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
holdontoit wrote:
Any people admitted into weekend program? Or majority are weekdays program? Thanks!

................. I am applying weekend one, still waiting ..............................

i'll be in the weekend program. can't do weeknights as sometimes i must work later.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Well I hear that Tues/Thurs is where its at, because Thursday there are kegs in the basement right after class. :beer

That said, I majored in accounting in undergrad, so I'm placing out of the accounting class, and both T/TH options have accounting. So I'm thinking I will opt for Monday/Wednesday to take the normal classes with my core group at least for the first semester when I'm getting to know people. All you T/TH people have a drink for poor Missayyy now and then would ya?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Green is my #1 followed by Blue. I don't have a preference for Mon/Wed or Tue/Thurs. I looked at the schedule (https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/registrar/sched ... llPT1.html) and based my decision a current Langone Student's feedback about the profs.

Regarding the question "Why NYU Langone..".. the only frustration (that I know of ) about the program is that part timer's don't have access to the different recruiting events. In one of NYU's information sessions in April, the administration staff mentioned that starting this year, part timer's can get access to these events during their graduating year provided they do not get sponsored by their companies in that year. The admin said they are just trying this out and studying the response from the part time students. It will be good if this becomes a success and will also solve the ethical problem of "biting the hand that feeds you".
Frankly,I chose part time because I don't want to lose my salary for two years and I haven't thought about switching careers. I want to stay in my industry for now but things might change during my MBA once I get to know what else it out there and realize what excites me! As others said, the individual's effort plays a major role in finding a job but at the same time I wouldn't mind more resources opening up to help my career!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tenore wrote:
I can’t stop from having a little giddy excitement from reading the syllabi (although my girlfriend feels I am crazy for this.)

Have you looked at their core course waiver sample exams? The problems :? in the exams all look greek to me. Can't believe that I will know to solve these problems in the next semester or two.. :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
BusinessChic wrote:
Green is my #1 followed by Blue. I don't have a preference for Mon/Wed or Tue/Thurs. I looked at the schedule (https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/registrar/sched ... llPT1.html) and based my decision a current Langone Student's feedback about the profs.

Is it ok with you to share the information about professors that you have.
I still havent registered but will most probably do it this weekend. I was planning on ORANGE and my second option would be Yellow though I would hate not going to school on Thrusdays :).
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  24   25   26   27   28   29   30  ...  60