It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 22:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Langone Fall 2008

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:01
Thank you, man!

OMG............ I guess this week is critical ............. I do not know what to say.

CFACharterholder22 wrote:
217 in the database.

6/13 - 67------------------6/26 - 142
6/16 - 75------------------6/27 - 143
6/17 - 79------------------6/30 - 150
6/18 - 98------------------7/1 - 164
6/19 - 104-----------------7/2 - 168
6/20 - 104-----------------7/3 - 172
6/23 - 104-----------------7/7 - 183
6/24 - 124-----------------7/8 - 202
6/25 - 124-----------------7/9 - 217

Here is the most recent update of the candidates on this thread:
p474295#p474295

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:02
Frankly speaking, if people got ding, few of them will come to report. It is reasonable. I will feel frustrated to myself too if I got ding.

yubjun wrote:
Is Kievdave the only ding so far? Anyone else get dinged yet??

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:14
I think most decisions should be sent out over the next two weeks. Thanks a ton CFACharter for updating and those numbers. We are over the half way mark so definitely lower chances now.

Everyone hang in there. I just wish I could focus better and not be so anxious.

Believe in yourself.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:17
This post received
KUDOS
So I decided to make a chart mixing CFA’s report on the admitted student database with my data from 2007. This should give us an idea of how adcom has paced itself this year vs. last year and should give us a little preview of what is to come...

Code:
-------------------------
DATE ---- 2007 ----- 2008
6/13 ..... nr ...... 67
6/19 ..... 75 ...... 104
6/27 ..... 108 ..... 143
7/04 ..... 130 ..... 172
7/09 ..... nr ...... 217
7/13 ..... 230 ..... ???
7/22 ..... 262
7/24 ..... 288
7/25 ..... 306
8/03 ..... 420
8/09 ..... 440
8/17 ..... 447
-------------------------

Also, is should be noted that, in past years, mass dings / mass waitlist notices usually came in late July (along with a -lot- of admits). I speculate that the adcom will only ding / wl someone prior to mid-July point if they are missing something essential, like work experience or minimum level academics (for instance, a gmat of 510 or a job flippin’ burgers will probably earn an early ding).

Last edited by Tenore on 10 Jul 2008, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:35
Excellent analysis Tenore. They seem to be pretty much on track.

I thought the student intake is 400...your 2007 analysis shows they admitted 447 students. Is that the case for this year too?

Believe in yourself.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:56
bozo190101 wrote:

I thought the student intake is 400...your 2007 analysis shows they admitted 447 students. Is that the case for this year too?

It was 456 According to Stern (http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/lang ... oc_id=5101):

------------------------------------------
Class Size
Spring 2008 299 (includes Westchester cohort)
Fall 2007 456 (includes Westchester cohort)

Typical Admitted Class Information*
Undergraduate GPA: 80% range 2.9-3.8
GMAT score: 80% range 610-730
Average years of work experience: 80% range 2-10
Female students 37%
Minority students 25%

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 11:27
Hi,

I'm new to this forum... I applied on May 1st, 2008 for the weeknights program.

My stats are probably the lowest in this forum

GMAT: 560
GPA: 3.5 from an engineering school (US)
WE: 4 years in 3 firms including consulting
started out as an analyst in consulting now a strategy manager with a top financial services company
Good recommendations and essays.

After reading stats here it looks like I don't have much of a chance. So now i have to consider between Baruch or Pace.

Any ideas? Also, Does anyone think that I still have a chance with NYU?

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 12:19
nyuorpace wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to this forum... I applied on May 1st, 2008 for the weeknights program.

My stats are probably the lowest in this forum

GMAT: 560
GPA: 3.5 from an engineering school (US)
WE: 4 years in 3 firms including consulting
started out as an analyst in consulting now a strategy manager with a top financial services company
Good recommendations and essays.

After reading stats here it looks like I don't have much of a chance. So now i have to consider between Baruch or Pace.

Because NYU seems to value stability in employment, I would guess that working for three firms in four years is probably going to hurt you quite a lot. You could possibly have made the frequent job transitions seem like a positive, if you tied them into some impressive career progression in your essays. Even still, Your GMAT is probably a little bit too far below the NYU 80% range for a good GPA and career progression to compensate.

You probably needed to include something truly exceptional in your essays to get in. Have you single handedly built schools for underprovided children in Zimbabwe? Was one of your promotions to CFO of GE? NYU will reject many people with better raw profiles than yours, so there needs to be something else.

Sorry for the less than cheerful outlook. You’d probably get admitted into Fordham, Baruch and Pace with little difficulty, provided you write good essays.

Last edited by Tenore on 10 Jul 2008, 14:12, edited 4 times in total.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 13:22
Quote:

The 560 doesn't bode well. It tells adcom one of two things. 1) You studied hard and got a 560. This is extremely bad. 2) You didn't study very hard and aren't taking your admissions process seriously. This is very bad. The three firms in four years part looks like you're always looking for something better yet rarely finding it. Stern could very easily think that they are your next "great" idea. They could also think that you thought all those job changes were the same type of "great" ideas. You start at one place and don't like it. Another and don't like it. Another and don't like it... What in this pattern of events makes them think that you should add an MBA to your current job???

I would never tell someone that they have no chance unless they were sub 500. You have a chance but it isn't a huge chance. I just hope your essays were stellar and I do mean stellar. Keep in mind that longer shots than you have made big things happen!! Don't give up hope just yet!

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient but I do love Fig Newtons!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 14:36
them's some harsh words Mr. Burgundy.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 14:47
jaxel79 wrote:

No point getting personal here. May be these are the facts and I see nothing offensive there.

its like you saying, you have a bigger chance of getting dinged !! so what, I mean people get dinged with a GMAT of 700+ and great exp !! but that's just my take on it....

Think next Wednesday a lot of people will hear something. If you look at last year's forum people were getting notifications until August.....

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 15:33
CFACharterholder22 wrote:
217 in the database.

6/13 - 67------------------6/26 - 142
6/16 - 75------------------6/27 - 143
6/17 - 79------------------6/30 - 150
6/18 - 98------------------7/1 - 164
6/19 - 104-----------------7/2 - 168
6/20 - 104-----------------7/3 - 172
6/23 - 104-----------------7/7 - 183
6/24 - 124-----------------7/8 - 202
6/25 - 124-----------------7/9 - 217

Here is the most recent update of the candidates on this thread:
p474295#p474295

I worship you!!! Thank you so much for organizing the information.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 15:33
I think both Tenore and CFAcharter are dead-on on their analysis of nyuorpace's chances. I think they were actually somewhat kind to nyuorpace in giving them some chance. I would be very surprised if nyuorpace gets in with those stats.

If I were nyuorpace, I'd just study hard and retake the GMAT, and reapply to NYU. If he's smart enough to make that career progression then I'm pretty sure his GMAT can be improved dramatically from sub-500. With much higher GMAT score, and nyuorpace's good career progression, and good essays, he has high chance of getting in IMO.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 15:36
If I got dinged, I will apply the next year. The experience would be very painful. I may not be able to face and talk to the boss for another recommendation letter. I am thinking about the time I got 760 in GMAT, how time flies. So does laughter.

langonefall08 wrote:
jaxel79 wrote:

No point getting personal here. May be these are the facts and I see nothing offensive there.

its like you saying, you have a bigger chance of getting dinged !! so what, I mean people get dinged with a GMAT of 700+ and great exp !! but that's just my take on it....

Think next Wednesday a lot of people will hear something. If you look at last year's forum people were getting notifications until August.....

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 15:42
Tenore wrote:
bozo190101 wrote:

It was 456 According to Stern (http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/lang ... oc_id=5101):

Class Size
Spring 2008 299 (includes Westchester cohort)
Fall 2007 456 (includes Westchester cohort)

Typical Admitted Class Information*
Undergraduate GPA: 80% range 2.9-3.8
GMAT score: 80% range 610-730
Average years of work experience: 80% range 2-10
Female students 37%
Minority students 25%

Tenore, I worship you too! But I am curious about something though. The number 456 is final class size, right? If that's the case, then NYU actually admitted more than 456 students. No school has 100% yield rate. I am assuming that NYU's is at least 90%. So the intake for last fall is probably around 500?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 15:43
holdontoit wrote:
Frankly speaking, if people got ding, few of them will come to report. It is reasonable. I will feel frustrated to myself too if I got ding.

yubjun wrote:
Is Kievdave the only ding so far? Anyone else get dinged yet??

I agree with you. And there are people who just look at the posts and don't participate.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 16:10
langonefall08 wrote:
jaxel79 wrote:

I also respectfully disagree with jaxel79. I didn't see anything offensive here. Actually, I think that CFA22 is not saying anything that nyuorpace didn't know. CFA22 also told nyuorpace not to give up. That doesn't sound harsh at all! To me, harsh words sound like this, "WTF are you thinking? Applying to NYU with a profile like your??" Sorry, I got carried away channeling my New Jersey attitude :) By the way, nyuorpace, you are like a lot of us. We all have strengths and weakness in our application.

At the end of the day, it's what the adcom thinks that matters! But don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the feedback that people on here provide. It's always helpful to get a different perspective.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 19:15
nyuorpace,

I understand that everyone including myself wants to get into a good school. On the other hand, we also need to consider that those good schools may not really fit us. They ding us for reasons. To be honest, if I get ding from NYU, I would just take my backup choice. Fordham, Pace and Baruch are not bad schools. You can find successful stories from them too.

Having a bright future or not depends on you, not the school you go to. Graduate from a good school may give you better opportunity to get a better job but graduate from a not so good school doesn't necessary mean you won't have opportunity. One of the MDs in my firm doesn't have a degree at all and he is managing people having MBA from U Penn, U Chi, Stern, etc. The CTO that I report to actually have MBA from St. John.

In conclusion, some people are just not good in exam. The real world is totally different from academic. It would be great if we can get into NYU but it is not the end of the world if we get dings. We will still have good careers if we work smart and be able to apply what we learn (not necessary from school, could be from experience, self study, other people, etc) to work. We will still enjoy our life which has nothing to do with career. Keep your smile. =P

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2008, 06:33
mbanewyorker wrote:
nyuorpace,

I understand that everyone including myself wants to get into a good school. On the other hand, we also need to consider that those good schools may not really fit us. They ding us for reasons. To be honest, if I get ding from NYU, I would just take my backup choice. Fordham, Pace and Baruch are not bad schools. You can find successful stories from them too.

Having a bright future or not depends on you, not the school you go to. Graduate from a good school may give you better opportunity to get a better job but graduate from a not so good school doesn't necessary mean you won't have opportunity. One of the MDs in my firm doesn't have a degree at all and he is managing people having MBA from U Penn, U Chi, Stern, etc. The CTO that I report to actually have MBA from St. John.

In conclusion, some people are just not good in exam. The real world is totally different from academic. It would be great if we can get into NYU but it is not the end of the world if we get dings. We will still have good careers if we work smart and be able to apply what we learn (not necessary from school, could be from experience, self study, other people, etc) to work. We will still enjoy our life which has nothing to do with career. Keep your smile. =P

I totally agree with you. I'm not going to jump off the bridge when I receive when rejection letter from NYU. I will move on to other things. School is an important thing but one must realize that when one door closes another one opens.

Good luck everyone!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2008, 07:38
Sorry if I offend anyone but I really wanted to know why you all are so anxious/excited about getting into NYU Langone, a program that won't give you any valuable assistance from their career services and treats the Langone students as their ATM machines and second-class citizens?

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2008, 07:38

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29  ...  60    Next  [ 1200 posts ] 

NYU Langone Fall 2008

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap