Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:55 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]
thanks for the update on the data base. I am trying to be patient but it is becoming more and more difficult. Is there a history of dings going out on 8/31? How many people are still waiting to hear?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
StructuredFinance wrote:
Yes, the Courant Institute is THE place to be if you want to be a Quant. But I wonder, if you guys were interested in Q-Fi., then why did you not pursue Financial Engineering at Courant, Cornell, Baruch or Fordham? Why an MBA instead? Is it for the token of MBA and the 'prestige' of Stern?

I am trying to get OUT of Quant. Thus an MBA (on hindsight perhaps that's what the adcom did not like in my app). If accepted I will keep finance concentration. But Q Fin? No thanks. Life's too short to be lost in numbers and programming. Shouldn't the Quants STOP ASSUMING risk is normally distributed throughout the population right about now? :lol:

Anyway, on a lighter note, could some fortunate soul who has access to the database do those of us a favor and provide an update on number of admits?

BTW congratulations to those admitted and all the best to the rest!

I believe that one should build on the knowledge that one already has otherwise you’re starting from scratch. Therefore, since I have many years of experience with modeling systems in MATLAB, which I enjoy very much, concentrating on quantitative finance is a natural choice for me. As to your original question about why not pursue a pure FE degree, well, from my experience, the people who concentrate purely on technical work rarely excel in corporate America (even in purely engineering firms). An MBA, I believe, will nicely round off my skill set. Again, this is my perception, and I am open to new ones.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you both - CFA and BKNY for your succinct answers. I did not mean to interject myself like that but couldn't help asking you questions which actually haunted me for quite a while in the past, primarily choosing between FE and MBA.

Honestly, my decision to pursue MBA was more in reaction to: NOT choosing do FE and being 'limited' in scope or functionality. Seems like that is pretty much the general consensus.

Well, thanks for the update.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
 Q49  V39
Send PM
metiko wrote:
thanks for the update on the data base. I am trying to be patient but it is becoming more and more difficult. Is there a history of dings going out on 8/31? How many people are still waiting to hear?

You mean 7/31, right? Although for the waitlisted people, they probably get their final decision by 8/31. The adcom hands out dings and waitlists along with the admits. I just don't know the proportion. Personally, I am still waiting. I think I might not even get a decision tomorrow since the admission office closes at 2 (on Fridays during the summer).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
We are at the same boat. Still waiting .................

jerseygirl wrote:
metiko wrote:

You mean 7/31, right? Although for the waitlisted people, they probably get their final decision by 8/31. The adcom hands out dings and waitlists along with the admits. I just don't know the proportion. Personally, I am still waiting. I think I might not even get a decision tomorrow since the admission office closes at 2 (on Fridays during the summer).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The wait continues.... I am not sure why Adcom wait this long if they'll reject someone. I am quite confused about how they conduct their admissions process. Deadline is May 15. Today is July 17. 2 months and 2 days AFTER the deadline! Still accepting :roll:
I am sure a lot of applicants like myself have to make decisions regarding other schools. This waiting game does not make our lives any easier. Not to mention, reading from the posts it seems that, the waiting still continues after you get in regarding the verificaton process. They seem to really drag on the process...
On the bright side, I guess the waiting means that we are not outright rejects :lol:
I am just trying to make the most out of the situation.

holdontoit wrote:
We are at the same boat. Still waiting .................

jerseygirl wrote:
metiko wrote:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
AH, i am sorry, I did mean 7/31. Hopefully people will have good things to report tomorrow.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
latrellrox wrote:
The wait continues.... I am not sure why Adcom wait this long if they'll reject someone. I am quite confused about how they conduct their admissions process. Deadline is May 15. Today is July 17. 2 months and 2 days AFTER the deadline! Still accepting :roll:
I am sure a lot of applicants like myself have to make decisions regarding other schools. This waiting game does not make our lives any easier. Not to mention, reading from the posts it seems that, the waiting still continues after you get in regarding the verificaton process. They seem to really drag on the process...
On the bright side, I guess the waiting means that we are not outright rejects :lol:

I fully share your sentiment. Wonder why they do not have a rolling deadline if they intend to accept applications until two weeks before the final notification deadline. Doesn't make sense. Had I known that, I would have given a second shot at GMAT just to rank in upper 20% of admitted students.

Assuming they filled 300 seats in last two months, the adcom needs to fill another 150 or so in next two weeks. The 'rate' at which these guys have admitted (or dinged) students has been terribly SLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOWWW. Add to that the whole verification nightmare the admitted students go through even after being offered admission. Just seems like it's a never ending anxiety.

I would be better off now if I just heard something along the lines of...'due to overwhelming number of extremely qualified candidates this year, we regret to inform you that we cannot offer admission to you ... blah blah blah'. I could at least go back to my number crunching job in peace.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
never ending anxiety

It's approaching 6 weeks for me so I called my HR department and Kroll verified everything on June 19th with them. Honestly, I don't think you have to worry. It's almost certainly a case of Stern being too busy with other things to bother notifying the people that they view as done that they are in fact done. It's annoying but I really don't think you need to worry.

The database number didn't change yesterday.
p474295#p474295
p494692#p494692
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
I am still waiting ...
and what with the Undergraduate degree missing and me having to fly to India to get it...it's a total mess. :( I am trying everything to get the degree but I don't even know whether providing the degree by the 1st wk of Aug will be sufficient.

What do you guys think? I have given up hope and it's just hard after giving a lot to the application. :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just checked my email after couple of days and found the most awaited email (sent on 16th). I am finally in.. :-D

Couple of questions for folks who have been accepted:
How long did it take for the acceptance letter to arrive? I am currently abroad, so I may have to wait for few more days for the letter.
Do I have to wait for the letter before I can get my Kroll verification going? Kroll's website asks for the School ID, which I don't see on the status page.

I wish all the best to people waiting to hear from adcom.

bozo190101, Flying to India for the degree sounds tedious. Are you sure, just contacting the univ won't help. If you don't mind sharing: what is the name of your undergrad univ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1575 [0]
Send PM
Congrats Bizguru...I am waiting for the package as well, and so far nothing since the email update on the 16th.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
I believe it took a week for the package to show up and the letter will have your NYU ID on it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
BusinessGuru wrote:
...Do I have to wait for the letter before I can get my Kroll verification going? Kroll's website asks for the School ID, which I don't see on the status page.

First of all, congrats!

Secondly, yes, you'll have to wait for your package for the ID to access Kroll. Moreover, NYU has to send your information to Kroll, so even if you could access Kroll’s site now, your account is probably not ready yet.

I wouldn’t be too worried, as NYU is a little behind in processing the Kroll results anyway.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V39
Send PM
StructuredFinance wrote:
latrellrox wrote:

Just seems like it's a never ending anxiety.

I would be better off now if I just heard something along the lines of...'due to overwhelming number of extremely qualified candidates this year, we regret to inform you that we cannot offer admission to you ... blah blah blah'. I could at least go back to my number crunching job in peace.

I was right about my prediction. No news today.

Latrellrox, that's what I tell myself too! Don't mean to disrespect anybody, but I don't know what else to think. Thinking that I am not an outright reject seems to be the most logical thing to keep my sanity.

SturcturedFinance, never ending anxiety is right! My job performance has been lagging after I submitted the application :lol: I just hope the boss doesn't notice it....

Come to think of it, I shouldn't be stressed out. I got a letter from my safety school reminding me to deduct the amount of the deposit when I pay my tuition bill. I also don't need to submit my immunization record again because I went to the same university for undergrad and the record is still on file. I guess I really want to go to NYU :?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks jerseygirl, your post reminds me to ask this qn.

Guys/girls from India... Did any of you submit immunization record already? I don't think I have any kind of certificate from hospital so I am wondering what's the alternative.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tenore wrote:
CFACharterholder22 wrote:
In addition to the analysis of the candidates, I was curious about the quality of undergraduate institutions of the admitted applicants. While I won’t name any of the exact institutions of the people admitted, I will show you this. Please see the attached excel file. I took the information from US News’ ranking database. Because they separate colleges into National, Liberal Arts, Baccalaureate, etc, I was originally unable to compare one college to another. For example, is Amherst better than UPenn? However, I got around this by putting every college in the US News database together and making my own ranking system. That database is privileged information, so I had to take out the data used to come up with the rankings. I can, however, tell you how I got to these numbers. I ranked all of the colleges using this system:
35% Peer assessment score, 20% SAT average, 20% Acceptance rate, 10% Graduation rate, 10% Freshmen in top 10% of HS class, 2.5% Freshman retention rate, 2.5% Avg. alumni giving rate

This is the result of that system: 50% of the admits that went to a US undergraduate institution went to one of the top 100 of the 937 US schools. 80% of the admits went to a school in the top 25th percentile of US schools. Please note that 38 out of 268 admits, or 14%, went to a non-US institution and were excluded from the analysis.

If the school that you went to isn't on this list, I didn't see it in the US News database. I may have missed a few of the lowest rated schools or the school could be unranked. Parsons for example had no information and that's a decent school.

Great info, CFA!

On the surface, it seems as if NYU explicitly targets people from top undergrad schools, but after thinking about it, I have a few questions about my assumption.

The first thing I wonder is: does NYU look for people from good schools, or do people who graduated from good schools look for NYU?

We all know (painfully know) that you have to put in a lot of time and effort just to get past the gate at NYU. Only someone who values education very highly would do such a thing. Since such strong values on education are most often instilled at an early age, you would presume that they were present when selecting an undergrad school. Thus, those who target and get into top MBA programs also likely targeted and got into top undergrads.

Conversely, those who ended up in lower ranked schools either did not value the quality of their undergrad’s brand as much, could not get into the better school, or made a decision based on finances to go to a lesser school. For the most part, these conditions and feelings are likely to persist when considering graduate schools, dissuading such people from applying to top programs.

Because of this, it seems reasonable to guess that the top MBA program’s applicant pools will likely be represented by far more people from higher ranked u-grad schools than people from bottom schools.

Furthermore, top schools help students land great jobs, and NYU clearly cares about the quality of employment and job progression. So it makes me wonder, does the school matter, or do the life accomplishments to follow, which certainly have been facilitated by a prestigious undergrad degree, matter.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly: is Adcom motivated to recruit from top undergrads? I don’t think there is a single MBA ranking that includes quality of the undergrad school that the applicant attends. So unlike GMAT or GPA, the undergrad schools brand does not directly impact NYU’s bottom line or brand image. Certainly it is considered, but probably well behind other things like job, gmat, GPA and essays.

So, my opinion is that the type of people who target and get into top undergrads will also target and get into top grad schools; however, that NYU is not specifically emphasizing undergrad school in their selection process, because it does not directly impact their bottom line or brand image.

Again, great report, CFA. It's a lot of fun to think about and analyze the decision process of adcom.

This question is like the classic chicken and egg question. Were the students who went to top undergrad schools, smart and motivated before they got in, or did they become smart and motivated after attending the top schools. Probably both are true. Interesting to talk about though.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  28   29   30   31   32   33   34  ...  60