It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 16:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Langone Fall 2008

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 0

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 07:53
FingerscrossedNYU wrote:
While no question an impressive profile, I am not sure the GMAT score was the only thing that could have been a red flag in adcom's eyes. Mandytsai mentions a plan had been in place since HS to take over her fathers business and expand it globally, but her experience has been in Sales and Trading. While sales and trading is very competitive, my initial thought was that corporate strategy or even consulting would have been more relevant experience. Just raising an argument here, but I think being able to clearly illustrate your career goals, progression, and how an MBA will benefit you is very important.

Your experiences do not have to be in line with what you want to do post MBA. In fact, most people go to bschool to "reinvent" themselves. Adcoms look at your work experience as a barometer of how you would handle new challenges, not so much as how relevant it is to your career goals. That is probably more for future employers, which would be his father (et al).

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 08:17
I do largely agree with what you said. I was merely pointing out a possible inconsitency in his "story". Everyone comes from different backgrounds and looking to get different things out of the program.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 08:49
mandytsai wrote:
My profile is
I am a 26 yr old Chinese male who am applying to the Fall 2008 program. I was born in US and then lived to HK for 8 years and then moved back to the US for High school and undergrad.

Ivy undergrad (Finance and Hospitality mgmt) (GPA 3.8)
GMAT: 610 ( 48Q, 27V) Yeah low verbal. This is the second time I took it. First time I got a 570.
5 Years of work experience ( FX Sales and Trading)
-2 year sales and trading analyst program at a top tier bank
-Promoted to Associate and trained with the MBA hires
-Took on an Associate Director positon at another international bank.

I am pretty involved in the community(local HS afterschool programs, mentoring programs, etc). I am involved in a lot of non-profit organizations in metro NY.

my ultimate goal is to take over my father's hotel furniture business and expand it globally. I have put in place a plan since I was a senior in HS. I first applied to a industry specific undergrad program, then took on an analyst positon at a fortune 100 company to gain foreign exchange and interest rate knowledge, then decided to go to a more globalized firm to learn more about international business and hoping to transfer to another country for a year or two. Lastly, leverage my experience and help build my father's business.

Awesome and interesting profile. If I were to guess, that low verbal is the main reason for your bad news. With such a split, adcom may see you as too quant focused. Being Asian and male doesn’t help you either. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with being Asian and good at math, but there’s a lot of guys like that applying for top MBA’s. You’re in direct competition with them. A 610 gmat works if you're a publicist from Europe or a Non-profit from the US, but not if your an Asian male (Unless you have something else that’s truly amazing in your profile).

However, with a quant score like yours, you certainly have the mental horsepower for a great GMAT score. If you get that verbal to the mid 30’s, you should have a great shot.

A word of good news, NYU tends to give notifications fastest to reapplicant who have made a substantial improvement in their app. If you apply before the Sept. 15th deadline, it would not be unheard of for you to hear back by early October.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 09:26
Whylangone wrote:
CFACharterholder22 wrote:
Then after a long detailed response from many of us about why your perception of Langone students is flawed, you post this gem:

Quote:
I heard as long as your GMAT is above 700, Langone would beg you to be its ATM Machine... : )

Seriously, what are doing on this thread and how was the response you received from all of us unclear?? ATM machines? Please.

I still have the perception about Langone, not the "Langone students". Langone is notorious for its career services, which is a truth, not a perception.

Interestingly, it's actually the Langone students that seem to be at fault. In the WSJ article, they seem to indicate that, even though NYU has created a channel for the part timers to get interviews, they rarely land jobs.

IMO, if you want to break into IB or Consulting, full time is the way to go. These firms want younger, freshly minted MBAs who can work slavish hours and dedicate their lives to their jobs. The part timer usually doesn’t fit this profile.

The true value in a part time MBA is in opening the door to better, more senior, jobs within your current field.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 10:45
Just got accepted and can't believe it. I've been following this thread and didn't think I had a shot with the profile's I've seen. For those of you waiting with less than perfect profiles, take solace in the fact I got in with the below:

Reapplicant
28- WM
650 GMAT (took it twice, first 580)
2.9 GPA from a state school in Finance (ranked in the lower 500's)
6 year Work experience (5 in Mortgage Sales, 1 in Financial Services- non manager)

Good luck to those that haven't heard and I look forward to meeting those that are in.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 11:01
i just got IN, I can not believe it! Good luck to everyone.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 11:23
I too have been reading this forum for a while and I received the good news today, as well. For those still waiting, be confident that your time will come soon.

My stats:

34 year old WM
640 GMAT
2.8 GPA from a top liberal arts college
12 years of work experience in real estate

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 11:28
Mandytsai, I'm sorry to hear the bad news. I think you'll get in on a reapp with a better verbal score though.

Congrats to Slammer, metiko, and SternPT!! That's awesome. The candidate list has been updated. We're 26-2 right now. Keep it up guys!

p474295#p474295
p494692#p494692

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient but I do love Fig Newtons!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 13:06
Latest count: 295

Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 13:58
just wondering, anyone know the number of applicants for the fall semester or in past semesters?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 14:35
Wow congratulations to all of you who got accepts today. Awesome news.

Believe in yourself.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 17:51
So I've been a silent observer on these boards for a while as well. I figured since I've read them quite a bit, I might as well lob in a post.

Top GMAT: 650 (Q - 53% V - 95%)
Undergrad: 3.0 (Ivy) Started as pre-med, got creamed early, changed majors and then had a nice progression upwards.
JD: 2.9 - Again started off slow, and finished up strong.
WE: 5 years post JD
Career Progression: Strong, won some major cases that were in the paper, recently hired to do work on the crane collapes etc. Nice salary bumps.

My biggest weakness is my lack of finance / business background. I tried to convey that I want the degree to really make me a well rounded employee. Ideally like to move to role as GC then into COO / CEO type role.

Applied in May, but retook GMAT a few times (590,620,650) so I'm just complete now.

I figure 30/60 (that was a joke) ...

Any thoughts?

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2008, 18:38
I`m also still waiting (I submitted my application in March)
Applied for weekend option 1st choice/ weeknights 2nd
GMAT:640 (47Q, 31V, 5.5 AWA)
GPA:3.76
Female, 27
3yr IB experience, decent career progress

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 07:44
hello,

i have been a silent observer of this forum for about 2 weeks. i wish i had discovered the forum earlier.

i was dinged yesterday. given my profile, i was, like my sign-in says, ambivalent about my chances of getting in after i saw some of your profiles. yesterday was the moment of truth for me. like someone mentioned earlier in the thread i was probably one of the 'fringe' candidates. anyhow, i am glad that my profile made other borderline candidates look better. so nothing was in vain. (just trying to put a positive spin on things). :lol:

following is my profile. also, i'd highly appreciate if anyone could provide some feedback on whether i should even bother for spring 2009. or perhaps i should simply look at Fordham instead. thanks in advance.

32 year old (non-indian) south asian male ( perhaps my app got lumped with other "M-I-Ts" and stood weak comparatively)
GMAT 630
GPA 2.7 - mathematics major, top 100 private university
6 years trading exp.
1 year independent consultant (entrepreneur) in developing financial analytics for hedge funds.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 08:49
ambivalent wrote:
hello,

i have been a silent observer of this forum for about 2 weeks. i wish i had discovered the forum earlier.

i was dinged yesterday. given my profile, i was, like my sign-in says, ambivalent about my chances of getting in after i saw some of your profiles. yesterday was the moment of truth for me. like someone mentioned earlier in the thread i was probably one of the 'fringe' candidates. anyhow, i am glad that my profile made other borderline candidates look better. so nothing was in vain. (just trying to put a positive spin on things). :lol:

following is my profile. also, i'd highly appreciate if anyone could provide some feedback on whether i should even bother for spring 2009. or perhaps i should simply look at Fordham instead. thanks in advance.

32 year old (non-indian) south asian male ( perhaps my app got lumped with other "M-I-Ts" and stood weak comparatively)
GMAT 630
6 years trading exp.
1 year independent consultant (entrepreneur) in developing financial analytics for hedge funds.

Fordham and Baruch have great programs, and you’d probably get into both very easily. Uconn and Rutgers also have good part time programs (and ranked full time programs).

As for NYU, to increase your competitiveness, you’d probably want to do better on the GMAT to compensate for your GPA.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 09:02
Ambivalent, sorry to hear about your ding. The chances of Stern grouping you along with other M-I-T's is very less given that you belong to a different nationality.

Nevertheless, even for a M-I-T, your profile is unique, what with your trading + financial analytics exp. I would strongly encourage you to apply for Spring '09. From your profile, it looks like your relatively low GPA and GMAT are the primary reasons for your ding. I would suggest give your GMAT again, put in enough efforts to get it closer to or past 700. If you think your essays were not convincing enough, do work on them as well. They should convey a clearly thought out career plan and how the Stern MBA would help you achieve that, leveraging your past experience.

Finally, there's no reason to lose heart. If you read through these forums, you will see ppl getting re-admitted after working on their weak spots. Good luck on your Spring '09 app!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 09:50
same here. Weekend option, waiting...

brewsterthecat wrote:
Female, 27

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 09:57
Weekend option here as my 1st choice as well. Weeknights was 2nd choice.
Still waiting, Lets hope good news comes next week.

Good luck to all.

Congrats to all the admits so far.

welldone2008 wrote:
same here. Weekend option, waiting...

brewsterthecat wrote:
Female, 27

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 10:00
Thank you for sharing info with us.

I would think your weaknesses are age, GMAT, GPA. Although I am 36yrs old, I think 32 yrs old is a little over but not old enough. (sorry I think my age is old enought so unique. kidding..). Anyway, you can't change it. The only thing you can change is your GMAT. If you get higher scores, the negativity of low GPA will be disregarded. Btw, I don't think the Southasian nationality has a bad effect.

ambivalent wrote:
hello,

GMAT 630
6 years trading exp.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2008, 12:20
what's the number up to?

Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2008, 12:20

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37  ...  60    Next  [ 1200 posts ]