Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 17:55 It is currently 07 May 2024, 17:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
VP
VP
Re: Any consulting folks? [#permalink]
terp06, let's take PwC for example. I was talking specifically about the services they classify under "transactional advisory."

Don't know if the link will work:
https://www.pwc.com/Extweb/service.nsf/docid/DE587598C9F67E1685256E6D0051566D

Deloitte Consulting hires several folks from Stern for its Strategy and Operations practice, I would be very surprised if they were all for IT or audit consulting positions.

I'll take back my comment about E&Y since I don't know much about what they've been doing in the last 3-4 years.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
terp06, let's take PwC for example. I was talking specifically about the services they classify under "transactional advisory."

Don't know if the link will work:
https://www.pwc.com/Extweb/service.nsf/docid/DE587598C9F67E1685256E6D0051566D

Deloitte Consulting hires several folks from Stern for its Strategy and Operations practice, I would be very surprised if they were all for IT or audit consulting positions.

I'll take back my comment about E&Y since I don't know much about what they've been doing in the last 3-4 years.

In my opinion, transactional advisory/transaction services is not consulting work. It is accounting and financial due diligence for M&A deals. They basically conduct an "audit" of a company that is about to get acquired, but it is done for the purposes of the acquisition and not for SEC reporting purposes. Many times, a private equity firm that is looking to acquire a company will not only hire a Big 4 for transactional due diligence, but they will also hire McKinsey to look at the strategy of the company in their portfolio going forward.

E&Y and KPMG have Transaction Advisory Services and Transaction Services groups respectively as well. Within E&Y and KPMG, these are the most prestigous groups at the respective firms. They work longer hours and get compensated more than audit/tax people. They are also able to exit sometimes to smaller private equity firms and boutique investment banks.

Deloitte Consulting does have a Strategy & Operations group indeed, and it is the most prestigous group at Deloitte. However, as I mentioned, Deloitte Consulting is a separate entity from Deloitte & Touche and they are allowed to provide any services they would like. Deloitte's S&O group also hires from top MBA programs.

One last thing to keep in mind - these firms are the absolute worst at clouding their service offerings and marketing materials with all sorts of useless corporate jargon. They also change their practice names and offerings like every 3 years.
VP
VP
Okay - I don't know that much about the Big 4, so your post helps clarify a bunch of things. Thanks.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Okay - I don't know that much about the Big 4, so your post helps clarify a bunch of things. Thanks.

No problem. I'll admit that when I was a starry eyed undergrad, I actually joined one of these firms with the thought that I would be doing more advisory/consulting work. That was not the case at all and I got out quickly.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
E&Y and KPMG have Transaction Advisory Services and Transaction Services groups respectively as well. Within E&Y and KPMG, these are the most prestigous groups at the respective firms. They work longer hours and get compensated more than audit/tax people. They are also able to exit sometimes to smaller private equity firms and boutique investment banks.

I've been working this week with some E&Y peeps from "Financial Services Advisory." Is this the same group you are referencing? I'm not sure what the backgrounds are of the guy and gal I'm working with, but I have to say that I'm thoroughly underwhelmed. I'm not sure what they're billing us at, but we could probably cut it in half and it would still be too much...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
terp06 wrote:

I've been working this week with some E&Y peeps from "Financial Services Advisory." Is this the same group you are referencing? I'm not sure what the backgrounds are of the guy and gal I'm working with, but I have to say that I'm thoroughly underwhelmed. I'm not sure what they're billing us at, but we could probably cut it in half and it would still be too much...

Financial Services Advisory and Transaction Advisory Services are 2 separate practices. FSA deals primarily with banks, insurance companies, and other financial services providers - I'm not certain what their exact service offerings are. Are they completing compliance work for you?

Big 4 people generally come from state schools, have 3.0-3.5 GPAs (I actually heard a partner say one time that people with over a 3.7 are too smart to work here - they ask too many questions), and are up for working dog hours and doing mind-numbing work. They probably bill out at $200+/hour, plus 3.5 to 4 star hotel and steak dinners if they're from out of town.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Financial Services Advisory and Transaction Advisory Services are 2 separate practices. FSA deals primarily with banks, insurance companies, and other financial services providers - I'm not certain what their exact service offerings are. Are they completing compliance work for you?

Big 4 people generally come from state schools, have 3.0-3.5 GPAs (I actually heard a partner say one time that people with over a 3.7 are too smart to work here), and are up for working dog hours and doing mind-numbing work. They probably bill out at $200+/hour, plus 3.5 to 4 star hotel and steak dinners if they're from out of town.

They are helping with compliance work. $200 an hour. I was too conservative on my cut. Terp - drive down the street next week and I'll bill you out at $50/hr. Deal? ;)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Tempting but that may be a conflict of interest for me :)

By the way, I think the mid-level (as in, 2-5 years out of school) folks generally bill in the 200 range, and partners in the 400-500 range. I doubt I was billing that when I was one month out of undergrad. I would conservatively peg my billing rate as a 1st year at between $120-175.

Also, I'm fairly sure that FSA and TAS bill far higher rates than audit does.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:HBS, Stanford.
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:

I think this is where Deloitte has branded their S&O practice well. Truth is, the practice is 90% ops and 10% strategy. I would compare it to Accenture, where they brand most positions as "management consulting", but the only real strategy work goes to their strat group (~1% of employees).
SVP
SVP
Send PM
PatrickBateman wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

I think this is where Deloitte has branded their S&O practice well. Truth is, the practice is 90% ops and 10% strategy. I would compare it to Accenture, where they brand most positions as "management consulting", but the only real strategy work goes to their strat group (~1% of employees).

I had a sneaking suspicion that this was true. The Big 4 accounting firms are truly masters at branding their practices and creating a very polished image for new recruits - their business depends on it. You really have to do your due diligence on the actual work that you will be doing if you are considering joining one of these firms - especially if you are joining a practice that sounds like "consulting", "advisory", or "strategy". These buzz words are overused.
VP
VP
What's compensation like at places like Deloitte Consulting? Any guesses? Say for an MBA hire? In line with McK/B/B?
I know some folks from Stern at Deloitte, but obviously I can't ask them straight up how much dough they're making.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
What's compensation like at places like Deloitte Consulting? Any guesses? Say for an MBA hire? In line with McK/B/B?
I know some folks from Stern at Deloitte, but obviously I can't ask them straight up how much dough they're making.

I think they're all in a very similar range to start out with. However, the exit opportunities out of M/B/B are incomparable to the exit opportunities out of any other consulting firms.

I think out of UG, ACN/Deloitte/Booz start out at about $55-60k and M/B/B start out at $65-75k. It's basically a wash.
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I just looked at profiles in the Dallas office of Bain & Company. It's a little intimidating...

https://www.bain.com/bainweb/popup_more_ ... office=126

Going through the profiles I found the following totals (might be 1 or 2 repeats as you have to refresh the page in order to see other profiles, but it shows some new and some old)

HBS - 6
Chicago GSB - 1
Kellogg - 2
Stanford - 1 (leave of absense then return)
Tuck - 2 (one was leave of absence then return)
MIT Sloan - 2
No MBA - 3 (probably each of these will be sent to get their MBA after a few years of work experience)

That's a good cross section, but certainly HBS does stand out. Note though that some of the senior people (partners) were HBS grads. This school loyalty doesn't seem surprising.
VP
VP
That's true, Bain has looked at HBS as one of its major feeder schools in recent years. Much more so than its peer firms. For instance, last year McKinsey hired 42 people from CBS and Bain only took 7; McKinsey took 33 people from Chicago and Bain 15 odd.

I'm pretty sure the numbers of Bainies hired from HBS is significantly higher.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
That's true, Bain has looked at HBS as one of its major feeder schools in recent years. Much more so than its peer firms. For instance, last year McKinsey hired 42 people from CBS and Bain only took 7; McKinsey took 33 people from Chicago and Bain 15 odd.

I'm pretty sure the numbers of Bainies hired from HBS is significantly higher.

https://www.mckinsey.com/careers/columbi ... mates.aspx

Keep in mind that only 13 of them are in the US offices and 12 of them are in NY/Stamford/New Jersey. No Midwest or West Coast placements and only 1 in the South. Still, I'll admit, globally it is a pretty staggering #.

I'm not able to find listings for Chicago, HBS, or Kellogg to see if they have the same regional trends (i.e. Chicago/Kellogg going to the Chicago office, HBS going to Boston). Needless to say, office placements definitely influence the engagements you will be working on.
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
It might make me consider throwing back in my HBS application if I decide to apply to M7's.
VP
VP
Errm...McKinsey hires internal Firm/Office and Risk Management folks from CBS? Or am I not understanding this right?

terp06 wrote:
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4