Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:52 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
VP
VP
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Yes, you can submit the application without the recommendations being received. I was told that they would be in around the time I submitted but my recommenders are being slow.

I think they just add it to your profile as they come in.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
nadtrans wrote:
Quick question guys! How stringent is the Cornell word limit? I am at 423 words on essay 2. Should i edit my essay further?

Just a bit of a follow up from this question earlier in the week:

I just checked out the essay upload section of the actual online app for Cornell and noticed that the word limit is in bold, red, AND italicized (400 word limit). Take that for what it's worth...

I know that there is this "rule of thumb" (and quite honestly I have NO IDEA where this was originated - 10 kudos if you can show me an official document that shows meeting minutes from an M7 meeting discussing the 10% rule :-D )

I copied and pasted my take on this "10% rule" that I just posted earlier this morning in the Ross thread:

post521381.html#p521381
ryguy904 wrote:
connecticket wrote:
Quote:
Writing essays adhering to the word limit is tough.

Tough is an understatement. I started off with a 580 word career goal essay. Brought it down to 534 now. This essay is testing my editing skills to the hilt. I am thinking if I should leave it at that (hoping they wont mind +-10%). What are you guys doing?

Wow, my first draft of the goals essay was more near 750 words! I think I've managed to bring it down to about 570. My gf is a great writer, so she has no problem telling me what to cut. :-D I plan to be at or below the limit. I'm the conservative type and unless it specifically says recommended (i.e., Columbia) or has strange guidelines (i.e., Tuck), I'm sticking to the rules. The way I see it is that thousands of people have been able to stick to the rules over the years. My case is no more different or special than any of the other folks that have been admitted at Ross (or any other top school), so I will stick to the limits. 34 words is maybe 1-1.5 sentences. Have someone else take a pass at your essay. I guarantee you can get it to 500 or below.

I realize that there may be a flood of objections to what may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm simply making observations and providing an alternative point of view.

In any event, good luck finishing up the apps. My Rd1 Cornell app should be ready to rock by next weekend!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
There was an interview with the head of admissions at Cornell where he said something like 410 was fine but much more than that was definitely a problem.

I'll probably push it a little on the goals essay - maybe 410 or 415 - and stay under 400 for the other 2.
Current Student
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
There was an interview with the head of admissions at Cornell where he said something like 410 was fine but much more than that was definitely a problem.

I'll probably push it a little on the goals essay - maybe 410 or 415 - and stay under 400 for the other 2.

I think I recall you telling me this. Nevertheless, the way I see it, is if you are at 410, you can sure as heck cut 10 more words. I KNOW IT IS PAINFUL! Example "The immersion program will provide really valuable hands-on learning experience..." You can cut out the word really. You need to aggresively attack (hey-you can cut out aggresively-just another example :)) your essay and determine what adds value. Is there a difference between really valuable and valuable ? - hopefully you can answer this, no. :)

Maybe the last chapter of our life story TOC can be "Trouble found trying to keep within word limits."
Current Student
Send PM
Dude, don't use my hands on learning experience line 8-) haha
Current Student
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Dude, don't use my hands on learning experience line 8-) haha

LOL - What a shocker - we have similar material in our essays!!! How bout you can keep the hands-on stuff and I'll discuss the immersion program? ;)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I thought I coined the phrase "hands-on" specifically for my Cornell essay.....jeez.....
Current Student
Send PM
raabenb wrote:
I thought I coined the phrase "hands-on" specifically for my Cornell essay.....jeez.....

Haha! We may have to pull straws then!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
Application went under review!! I thought Cornell would only review AFTER the deadline - guess not. I am not complaining.

Fingers crossed.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Just so everyone knows, I was told by the admissions coordinator (Michael Corbett) that you should try and get your apps submitted in either R1 or R2.

I thought Cornell's R1 was more like the ED rounds at other schools, but apparently not. I was going to wait until R3 to submit, but it looks like I'll be hammering out the essay for R2.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:
Just so everyone knows, I was told by the admissions coordinator (Michael Corbett) that you should try and get your apps submitted in either R1 or R2.

I thought Cornell's R1 was more like the ED rounds at other schools, but apparently not. I was going to wait until R3 to submit, but it looks like I'll be hammering out the essay for R2.

RF

Did he imply that submitting in R1 or R2 gave you a noticeably better chance of getting admitted than R3?
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
refurb wrote:

RF

Did he imply that submitting in R1 or R2 gave you a noticeably better chance of getting admitted than R3?

He did. His exact words were "Try and get your app in either this round (meaning R1) or by the November deadline. We are going to have A LOT of people applying this year."

RF
VP
VP
That's how I read it IHateTheGMAT, R1 and R2 are relatively easier. Cornell's R3 (which is really R2 at other schools) a lot of applicants who've been rejected from their top choice schools start looking at schools a bit lower on the rankings totem pole. So it obviously become more competitive then.

Also, as sterny's experience indicates, his application went under review a full week before the deadline, it does seem there's some truth to what my student ambassador told me about the admissions process being more or less rolling in nature.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
I visited school last week, and had great experience. Everyone was REALLY nice, and the professor whose class I sat in on even had me introduce myself to class.

I agree with earlier statements, there will be large increase in applications, and of course get it in only when you feel it is ready, but i suspect round 3 is going to have very very few open spots.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
I had a status change to incomplete so they're looking at apps for sure. I'm going to go strangle my recommenders now since they're being so slow.... argh
VP
VP
Yaay! I just submitted my application to Cornell, too. My recommenders are still AWOL, so I'm hoping they can finish by tomorrow so I'm officially "complete" by the time the Monday deadline rolls around. I think it's a bad idea to tell recommenders that an application deadline is on a weekend. My last application to another school, I told them the deadline was a Wednesday and both had finished and submitted their recommendations the Saturday before! I need to keep doing this, it seems.

Oh, and I must say now that I am done, I actually enjoyed writing that whole "table of contents" for the story of my life thing. I still have to think about that Park essay (assuming I'm invited to apply for it, of course) and then it's on to school # 3!

Good luck, everyone. Do keep posting any status updates on this thread.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
my status officially changed to "Under Review" a couple of days ago. Looking forward to good news!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  72