Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
FN wrote:
oh one more note on Kellogg..Kellogg has a nice collection of brazillian girls.. and as compared to other schools..kellogg is certainly not very a "Indian or chinese" school..they do a good job on diversity unlike NYU which feels like madras india...

on a down note..Evanston feels like a run down borough of NYC..certainly not something most kellogg students seem to tell you..maybe its cause not many of them are from nyc and really havent a clue how kick-ass NYC is.. .. really with the exception of bay-area..there isnt anything that can come close to NYC experience..

You said Brazilian girls? As in, several?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
there were at least three of them in the group i met..perspective and students included :)

river wasnt there, he totally dissed us.. disappointed in you..river..we came all the way to meet you and you were'nt even there
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Nice write up, isa, and glad to hear you had a good visit.

On the locker room thing, I don't remember if it's part of the tour but there are lockers in Jacobs, but not in a room suitable for changing. Also, when we saw the changing room during DAK, several students had hung their suits in there.
VP
VP
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
FN wrote:
Evanston feels like a run down borough of NYC..certainly not something most kellogg students seem to tell you..maybe its cause not many of them are from nyc and really havent a clue how kick-ass NYC is.. .. really with the exception of bay-area..there isnt anything that can come close to NYC experience..

Did you get to the downtown area of Evanston or just by the school? I had the same impression of Evanston after visiting Kellogg last year, but after walking around downtown during the housing tour at DAK I was pleasantly surprised. It's still not the NYC experience, but NYC is a pretty high bar to be comparing places to.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
I also was pleasantly surprised by the "downtown" part of Evanston during a recent visit. There seems to be a decent number of restaurants and all the major chain stores. Didn't see many bars, so I think Kellogg students frequent a select few.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Jerz wrote:
FN wrote:
Evanston feels like a run down borough of NYC..certainly not something most kellogg students seem to tell you..maybe its cause not many of them are from nyc and really havent a clue how kick-ass NYC is.. .. really with the exception of bay-area..there isnt anything that can come close to NYC experience..

Did you get to the downtown area of Evanston or just by the school? I had the same impression of Evanston after visiting Kellogg last year, but after walking around downtown during the housing tour at DAK I was pleasantly surprised. It's still not the NYC experience, but NYC is a pretty high bar to be comparing places to.

Evanston is quaint and nice - I think someone earlier compared it to Bethesda (an area near DC). It's the same type of feel, restaurants and shops. I thought Evanston was a very pretty place, nice real estate and right on the water.
VP
VP
Send PM
olive wrote:
Jerz wrote:
FN wrote:

Evanston is quaint and nice - I think someone earlier compared it to Bethesda (an area near DC). It's the same type of feel, restaurants and shops. I thought Evanston was a very pretty place, nice real estate and right on the water.

The Bethesda comparison is pretty accurate. I lived in Bethesda for 6 months while working in DC, and Evanston did remind me of Bethesda.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
olive wrote:

The Bethesda comparison is pretty accurate. I lived in Bethesda for 6 months while working in DC, and Evanston did remind me of Bethesda.

The Bethesda comparison could've been me from my first visit :P I walked around some more when I went out in the Evanston area with some friends Friday night for a bit, and then went up there again for a dinner/movie on Saturday evening - so there are definitely things to do in the area. I remember earlier riverripper had said that you very easily could run into your classmates when you were out - I could definitely see that happening, since it's also not a huge area.

The other thing to note is that it's pretty easy to get from the Evanston area to other parts of Chicago but just takes a while. I went from Evanston to Lincoln Park one night, and then to Wicker Park another time - both trips took around 45+ mins on the train.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
The Bethesda comparison is a dead on ringer (I've lived in the DC area all my life to this point). Evanston is even about the same distance from the Loop as Bethesda is to Dupont Circle (about 10 miles).

As for 45 minutes on the El - the comparison runs there too. The Red line into DC takes forever.

I've enjoyed Evanston so far - and have enjoyed getting into Chicago a decent amount. This week alone, I'm headed into Chicago 4 out of 7 nights.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Kellogg, MIT
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Well, I just got back to NYC from visiting Evanston and was extremely pleased with the experience. The students were helpful and everyone in the admissions office was eager to please. I completed my on-campus interview (about 40 minutes or so, but it went REALLY quickly) with a member of the admissions committee and feel that it went well. Conversation flowed very easily, there were a lot of laughs, and I feel I conveyed my interest in the program well. I'm normally very critical of my interviews, but feel that I really did a good job. I left the campus feeling even more positively about the program than I already did and am hopeful that I might be admitted, but only time will tell.

The campus itself had the feel of a lot of other Big Ten campuses. In size, it was similar to Michigan and Penn State. It was obviously slightly more urban than UM or PSU, but not quite as urban as Ohio State.

All in all, a great experience, and I'm pleased by my decision to interview on campus rather than with an Alum. For anyone who has applied and interviewed and HASN'T made it to Evanston yet, I would strongly urge you to do so as my experience was spectacular.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Wow. I am amazed at the comparison to Bethesda. I lived there at ages 13-15 (and moved to Potomac afterwards). Definitely see the comparison, though it has been a long time since I last visited Bethesda.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone know how Kellogg takes additional information after the application is submitted?
Current Student
Send PM
i'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woohh

fyi interview early jan
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
coolrun wrote:

woohh

fyi interview early jan

Whoooo whooo Congradulations! you're the first GC admit!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance (Investment Management)
Schools:Chicago Booth, Kellogg, Wharton
 Q48  V41
Send PM
coolrun wrote:

woohh

fyi interview early jan

Congrats! I was wondering when they'd start coming out. Best of luck to everyone else.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
 Q51  V41
Send PM
coolrun, congrats.

I was at Kellogg for my interview on monday and loved the experience apart from the snow for which I was underdressed! The interview was good with the usual questions... why MBA, Why Kellogg, ST/LT goals, greatest accomplishment etc. No unexpected questions.

I attended a class and sat at one of the corner seats and had to read from the screen at an obscure angle. I am not sure if all class rooms are like that. Later I met one of the co-chairs of the club and he selected Kellogg over MIT. I met another person who chose Kellogg over MIT and I picked their brains on their reasons. I met a bunch of candidates at the the admissions office and there were 5 interviews scheduled at 10 am.

The atrium was not as small as many had mentioned earlier. I did find lot of empty chairs during lunch. I found Kellogg branded waterbottles and I hadnt seen one in other schools that I visited. Maybe a brainchild of the best school for marketing and branding. Two first year students met many candidates for lunch and spent lot of time and shared their experiences from the KWEST trip, bidding process, group projects etc. The atrium was bustling with the Black association and Indian association presenting a hip-hop/Indian show, students contesting for the elections etc. The food was good.

I also found many other students on elevators and hallway who greeted me and engaged in small talk.

Later in the day, during the info session, adcom mentioned that 70% interviews are done by alums...and came to know that until the interview is done, the applicants file doesnt get read! If I had known, I would have scheduled my interview early! Anyway, most of you may know that there are three reviews after the interview: one by a student, adcom and the director. The adcom reassured me that I was not late and there was still a lot of space in the class.

The adcom said that the job scenario is bad but many students were also picky 3/4 months back and this didnt work out well. Also many employers are not breaking the relationship with school and interviewing/participating but not extending offers. The placement team is vigorously working with students to get many other companies get in. Two first years I met were still interviewing for internships.

Evanston is conveniently located near the purple line. I could get there from MDW using the orange, red and purple lines in less than a hour and a half for $2.25. Cheap way to commute!

I couldnt meet River or others.

Overall, I enjoyed this visit and wished I had visited before applying. I hope I get admitted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Seems the 1 person on B/week came of the waitlist for the 1year...

any news on the waitlist?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  96   97   98   99   100  ...  115   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts