Last visit was: 24 May 2024, 23:58 It is currently 24 May 2024, 23:58
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

NYU vs UCLA vs Cornell

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Finance and Corporate Strategy
Schools:ROSS(Accepted) CBS-J
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
Re: NYU vs UCLA vs Cornell - PLEASE help!!! [#permalink]
mashi wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to decide between three schools (NYU vs UCLA vs Cornell) where I recently received admissions from. I love them all and they all have their pros and cons. I couldn't decide which school is better overall in terms of reputation and ROI. I'm currently in financial services, and I'd like to work in corporate financial strategies for telecom companies after getting my MBA. I did not receive any scholarships from any of them, unfortunately. However, I believe that during the 2nd year at UCLA, students are eligible for in-state tuition.

Thanks so much for the help!!!

Do have a location/geographical preference? If you don't mind me asking, where do you currently live?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I would imagine where you ultimately want to be post MBA would be a big factor. The NY schools won't be as renown out west and vice versa, which will affect your ROI.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Franklin, I currently reside in the DC metro area. I don't have a preference on west coast or east coast, but I do prefer to stay in one of the coast cities.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools:Cornell University - The Johnson School
Send PM
mashi wrote:
Hi Franklin, I currently reside in the DC metro area. I don't have a preference on west coast or east coast, but I do prefer to stay in one of the coast cities.

The only reason I ask is that UCLA is a top program and has a great network so if you're interested in working on the West coast I would attend UCLA. As for NYU and Cornell you will more than likely stay out this way. So if you don't have a preference choose a location that you think would be acceptable to you and go for it!

I lived in Southern California for 10 years and loved it. I'm currently completing a Masters degree at Cornell and the location factored into my decision, i.e., I knew that I would more than likely end up working on the east coast.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Franklin wrote:
The only reason I ask is that UCLA is a top program and has a great network.

Anderson is a great MBA program, but honestly, their network is fair, at best.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell Johnson School
 Q51  V44
Send PM
If you're sure about finance - Stern is the clear winner - nothing like being in NYC for recruiting and IMHO Stern is the best of the three for finance with Cornell a close second. Overall reputation - they are all tied; and ROI - Stern will probably work out the most expensive of the three but I don't think the extra costs associated with living in NYC are significant enough to sway your decision.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi ryguy904, I saw that you are also accepted by several schools. have you decided which one you will be attending?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
mashi wrote:
hi ryguy904, I saw that you are also accepted by several schools. have you decided which one you will be attending?

I haven't made my decision yet. Although I've dragged my decision out long enough, I need to do a little bit more due dilligence over the next week or so.

That said, I visited Cornell for DJ and had a fantastic time. Cornell is definitely a solid fit. I couldn't/wouldn't do Stern, but that's a personal choice. I know a handful of people that visited Stern and have loved it.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I recall that Cornell has done well thus far in managerial/corporate finance placements. That immersion is particularly popular and I have heard really good things about it. I don't know about telecom specific placement, but besides marketing, Cornell has had strong internship placement (this is a relative term, given the crappy economy and overall placement) in managerial finance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
mashi--go NYU if your goal if finance related. It's a great school.

ryguy904 wrote:
I haven't made my decision yet. Although I've dragged my decision out long enough, I need to do a little bit more due dilligence over the next week or so.

Ry is going to be the first gclub dual-MBA grad. He's gonna try to be the Class of 2011 from both Ross and Cornell--he'll have the biggest alumni network around. That, or he's going to request a deferral at both schools and make his decision next year...j/k.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
NYU easily unless you are very committed to SoCal
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Tough one. Would you guys agree that Cornell with the Park Fellowship would trump either school if one is looking to go into Sales & Trading / IB? Talking about ROI / Prestige / Placement, not purely $$$ (but a full ride would be nice too!)
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
lex21 wrote:
Tough one. Would you guys agree that Cornell with the Park Fellowship would trump either school if one is looking to go into Sales & Trading / IB? Talking about ROI / Prestige / Placement, not purely $$$ (but a full ride would be nice too!)

i would think a fellowship at cornell would beat out no money from stern. cornell, despite being a few hours away from NYC, still has a presence in the financial field.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
lex21 wrote:

Park Fellowship on your resume will help you on your job search (not to mention it is usually a good conversation starter during the interview), but for finance jobs, I would ask current students at Cornell directly about specific opportunities (feasibility, limitation etc). I would pm Raabend before you make any final decisions.

Also 3underscore knows about finance opportunities out of Stern in detail.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
NYU wins hands down, followed by UCLA and then Cornell

1) NYU has a much better academic offering than the two other schools, esp for year 2.

2) More firms, esp telecom ones, come to NYU. Cornell has seen its on campus recruiters plunge in the downtown due to the school's small size, out of the way location and weak MBA reputation.

3) NYU Stern brand is tops, UCLA is great for Cali, Cornell's MBA program is not known. Stern has a world recognized brand, UCLA is regionally limited and many love Cornell's name but don't know it has an MBA program.
GMAT Club Bot