Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 08:37 It is currently 05 May 2024, 08:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: How do ad-coms view CPA's? [#permalink]
I would say, its more of a big4 thing than a CPA.
I did not follow the 2nd part of your question.

CaliCpa wrote:
Sniper -

Is the peer group considered to be other CPA's and public accountants? From what you have seen what are some specific ways that public accountants have been able to do this?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I was referring to how to distinguish oneself from his/her peer group. I was hoping you could provide any examples that you plan to use, or have seen other applicants use. Maybe thats the "non-thinker" in me, but just curious for some examples.

Also, just curious but what do you want to do post-mba?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sniper, thanks for the response. I actually don't have too many co-workers thinking about an MBA (at least not full time). I would like to do corporate strategy/development post-MBA. Hopefully recruitors will think a CPA is a nice compliment - not sure if people consider this a complete career change.

Eventually being a CFO would be awesome, but I can't see myself enjoying going the Controller (etc.) route.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
One of the things my colleague did was - took a rotation from his field of work into Structured finance and technology services. I think this gave him a bit of diversification from a pure number crunching arena to more of a consultant kinda role. This was viewed very favorably by the Adcom.
This could also be complemented by a location/country shift (as in my case)
Also, extra circ's help. Typically CPA's (in big4s) tend to have no life outside of work.

Post Mba - Trying to transition into more of "consulting" role. SmallPvt Equity/hedge funds also interest me.
I am a part time trader so i would like to do something around that. :-D
I m sure more opps will come to light as i attend school. Just starting for my Gmat for now.
Would be to interesting to know the tgt schools for fellow CPA's and Big4 peer grp.
Cheers!

CaliCpa wrote:
I was referring to how to distinguish oneself from his/her peer group. I was hoping you could provide any examples that you plan to use, or have seen other applicants use. Maybe thats the "non-thinker" in me, but just curious for some examples.

Also, just curious but what do you want to do post-mba?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
There is no doubt a CPA helps espc when one is coming from an accounting background. Also do prof qualifications like CIA, CISA etc.
On the point of co-workers, i pretty much have the same situation in my firm. Oh well, had, as i just got laid off last week. So, finally started with my MBA journey.
For Corp strat/consulting , which schools are you targeting ?

Bluepic wrote:
Sniper, thanks for the response. I actually don't have too many co-workers thinking about an MBA (at least not full time). I would like to do corporate strategy/development post-MBA. Hopefully recruitors will think a CPA is a nice compliment - not sure if people consider this a complete career change.

Eventually being a CFO would be awesome, but I can't see myself enjoying going the Controller (etc.) route.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kellogg would be my dream school. On my short list now would to apply to Kellogg and Booth as long-shots, Duke and Darden as competitive schools, and UT McCombs as a back-up. I'll probably add one to two more by the fall. They are all great schools and I'm unsure how I stand, but I can't justify investing so much for school outside the top 20.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am probably sitting about the same as Bluepic. Probably one other Finance minded like Columbia. Any idea which schools might be more accepting to BIG 4/CPA/CA than others?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I work for a Big 4 firm and will be attending Kellogg this fall. I actually think CPA/Big 4 is relatively neutral to adcoms. It definitely demonstrates that you've got good quantitative skills, but raises questions around teamwork, leadership and other interpersonal skills. I think what's most important is what snipertrader said a few posts back - it's what *you* bring to the table that counts most. If you're an auditor and have just done audits your whole career, it's going to be harder to distinguish yourself from the other auditors applying. Try and branch out, volunteer for projects in other areas, get involved outside of work, look for experiences that show that you're more than just a number-crunching beancounter.

As for career switching, I am planning to go into product management or GM in pharma/biotech post graduation so it's definitely possible to get accepted as a CPA who wants a major career shift. As for whether CPA is seen as a positive by recruiters, you'll have to ask me next year. :-D

Last, in terms of schools I don't think any schools are CPA-friendly or CPA-unfriendly. There's a lot more to admissions than that. Again, it comes down to what you bring to the table - your skills, your personality and how well those fit with the school - that matter, not the letters after your name.

I think those were most of the questions you guys raised, but if you have more feel free to post them or PM me.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM

Also a former Big 4/CPA until few months ago....
Just like Jerz mentioned above, CPA doesn't have much impact on adcoms. I think it's your goals, essays and fit that will help you with your admissions. For example, if you say your goal to pursue MBA is to become a CFO of a corporation, then you have to do more work to convince why MBA from [insert school here] is necessary because having a CPA will allow you to reach that goal to a certain degree.

However, if you say you want to switch your career and explain well, having a CPA means nothing to the adcoms. They will pay more attention to other factors - in my opinion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Nink-

As far as academics go, i think CPA is a + over and above ones BS/MS in accounting. I think the adcom will surely appreciate that. no? :roll:

nink wrote:

Just like Jerz mentioned above, CPA doesn't have much impact on adcoms. I think it's your goals, essays and fit that will help you with your admissions. For example, if you say your goal to pursue MBA is to become a CFO of a corporation, then you have to do more work to convince why MBA from [insert school here] is necessary because having a CPA will allow you to reach that goal to a certain degree.

However, if you say you want to switch your career and explain well, having a CPA means nothing to the adcoms. They will pay more attention to other factors - in my opinion.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
snipertrader wrote:
Nink-

As far as academics go, i think CPA is a + over and above ones BS/MS in accounting. I think the adcom will surely appreciate that. no? :roll:

nink wrote:

I think a CPA would probably be viewed more favorably than an accountant without a CPA or other certification. But I think the point is that a CPA is not seen as inherently better than the engineers, consultants, bankers, marketers, military officers, and assorted other professions you will be competing against for admission.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
I think the point is that a CPA is not seen as inherently better than the engineers, consultants, bankers, marketers, military officers, and assorted other professions you will be competing against for admission.

I agree with what Jerz said above. Similar debate is available in CFA thread regarding impact of CFA certification on bschool admission.

Whether you have a CPA or a CFA, I don't think it gives you much advantage or preference, if any.

GMAT Club Bot