Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 17:54 It is currently 06 May 2024, 17:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Re: How to present your career goals (in this economy)? [#permalink]
Kudos
I agree with Jerz. Lying to adcom is a bad idea. Remember, you have to interview at many of these schools as well, and it's much easier to argue your case if you're actually passionate about what you want to do. If you're in non-profit and want to go to IB, that's fine - just make a strong argument for why you're uniquely qualified to make that switch and why you'll be successful at it.

I think being as specific as you can in writing about your goals will also help. Instead of just saying you want to do consulting, say "I want to do consulting in x industry at companies like ABC, because of my background/interest/passion in Y." That indicates your interest, your level of research into your desired field, as well as your own understanding of how you, with your background, can break into that field.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
isa wrote:
I agree with Jerz. Lying to adcom is a bad idea. Remember, you have to interview at many of these schools as well, and it's much easier to argue your case if you're actually passionate about what you want to do. If you're in non-profit and want to go to IB, that's fine - just make a strong argument for why you're uniquely qualified to make that switch and why you'll be successful at it.

I think being as specific as you can in writing about your goals will also help. Instead of just saying you want to do consulting, say "I want to do consulting in x industry at companies like ABC, because of my background/interest/passion in Y." That indicates your interest, your level of research into your desired field, as well as your own understanding of how you, with your background, can break into that field.

+1...thanks

also, how have you all gone about contacting people in your desired industry to learn more (if you didn't have personal connections)? school alumni? student interest organizations? cold calls to companies you're interested in?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
also, how have you all gone about contacting people in your desired industry to learn more (if you didn't have personal connections)? school alumni? student interest organizations? cold calls to companies you're interested in?

I reached out to the career oriented clubs, did a lot of online research into the types of companies out there in my field. I also asked friends that had gone to bschool, or were in bschool, to connect me to any friends they had in my desired field, who wouldn't mind answering a few questions. I didn't do any cold calls.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
For your classes it will be a bit different. Right now at the front line it is "shut up about your career goals and tell me what you can do, now". For an application, they still want to see ambition and direction, and the school - much like yourself - hopes desperately for an economic turnaround by your graduation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I didn't say you should try to predict what the adcom wants to hear. I said write about a goal that your background lends itself to. Big difference there!

Basically I'm saying if you have done non-profit your whole life, chances are you have no relevant background for IB. So its dumb to put that as your goal, even if it is your goal. You're better off saying you want to stay in non-profit post-mba. If you are an engineer or technical person, consulting or GM is your best bet. If you are in finance, then IB or corp fin is a good goal. I would not be an idealist on your apps, the adcom doesn't care if you have a great heart and great sob story. They care that you know what you want to do, have relevant experience to get there, and just need an MBA to bridge the gap. Putting a drastic career change on your app without the right background is going to put you at risk of not even being interviewed. Its usually best to be realistic than idealistic.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [4]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
mbafwi wrote:
I didn't say you should try to predict what the adcom wants to hear. I said write about a goal that your background lends itself to. Big difference there!

Basically I'm saying if you have done non-profit your whole life, chances are you have no relevant background for IB. So its dumb to put that as your goal, even if it is your goal. You're better off saying you want to stay in non-profit post-mba. If you are an engineer or technical person, consulting or GM is your best bet. If you are in finance, then IB or corp fin is a good goal. I would not be an idealist on your apps, the adcom doesn't care if you have a great heart and great sob story. They care that you know what you want to do, have relevant experience to get there, and just need an MBA to bridge the gap. Putting a drastic career change on your app without the right background is going to put you at risk of not even being interviewed. Its usually best to be realistic than idealistic.

I am tired of reading this post that pretty much ridicules and insults another member's simple inquiry.

There is no basis, or general rule to shape one's story for bschool application that will guarantee one's success. There's no rule that says one has no relevant background for IB if he or she is from non-profit background. There is no rule that says that engineers and other applicants with technical background are best suited for consulting jobs. There is no basis for you to argue that adcoms don't care about one's heart or sob story.

At this very moment, many bschool admits from this past application year are taking career aptitude test that will help them find their interests, leadership traits, and potential career options as I write this post. (This is what we have been talking about pretty much last 2 weeks in the chatroom) If specific rules exist that says one can't shoot for this job because he or she comes from this background, then why do top bschools ask their admits to take this test as soon as possible? Why do they want to discuss the results in depth?

Although I applied to 7 bschools this past year, and spent countless hours on my applications, I can't say that I am an expert in this matter. There are way too many variables, and way too many circumstances to make definite rules on how to find success in bschool admission process. Nothing is guaranteed, and nothing is impossible.

My advice to any bschool applicant, is that you should just reflect your true-self in your application the best that you can. Choose the best way to communicate your goals, desires, and expectations in your essays. Don't assume anything, and don't get overconfident. Just give it your best.

BTW - I am locking this thread. 2012dreams, if you need help with your applications, PM me. I will help you however I can.
GMAT Club Bot