Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 07:18 It is currently 08 May 2024, 07:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q48  V27
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q51  V42
Send PM
Re: Ranks and clusterings of various International b-schools [#permalink]
I like it how you placed IESE above IE and ESADE. Good call! :) I would also put IMD in the UE category. They do not send many folks into finance and consulting but finance and consulting firms come to IMD to recruit. It's just that most of the IMD students have no interest in finance or consulting whatsoever. It's an industry-oriented school but there are excellent opportunities for consulting or finance gigs after graduation. The alumni network point is a valid one but still IMD should be in the UE, IMO. I think St. Gallen will be climbing up the ranks in the near future.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V27
Send PM
How about the Indian Business schools like IIM and ISB?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Kudos
I`ve currently exchanged out to Berkeley and they only exchange with 7 schools :-

IESE, LBS, HEC, Erasmus, SDA Bocconi, Columbia and HKUST.

https://www.haas.berkeley.edu/MBA/academ ... grams.html

I beleive these sort of alliances show some sort of indication as to the quality of the schools.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73109 [0]
Given Kudos: 18936
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
FYI - we have a new thread with more detailed overview of schools and class profiles international-schools-rankings-and-comparison-83394.html

Moderators - please feel free to merge this one or restructure as needed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
LionNJ wrote:
I think St. Gallen will be climbing up the ranks in the near future.

Yes, we will. :wink:

We are expecting the MBA program to be ranked by FT in December 2010's European Business Schools and January 2011's Global MBA Programs.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [4]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Kudos
hi guys, i just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here for the Canadian schools. being from toronto, i can say that the vast majority of canadian IB/banking/corporate/MC/other MBA related jobs are in the toronto market. the strongest program here locally is Ivey (University of Western Ontario). they feed into a lot of the top IB and MC jobs here.

then it's likely between Rotman and Schulich. however, there are drawbacks with both programs. the Rotman programt ends to focus more on GPA than GMAT/WE, which attracts a bunch of career students and not as many business minded people. i see a lot of Rotman grads in banks doing mid-office risk management or valuations type of work. they're also not very strong in consulting.
imo this program has not been successful in leveraging its strong undergrad reputation into a top tier MBA program.

Schulich on the other hand has a traditionally strong MBA program. their joint EMBA program with Kellogg is top notch. however, they've gone too international these days and the reputation of the graduates is that half of them can't speak proper english...not exactly what i'd people to think of when they hear where my MBA's from. also the academic rigor of the school is questionable, as the campus is located in one of the scummier areas of toronto and the undergrad program of the school is considered vastly inferior to University of Toronto (Rotman) or University of Western Ontario (Ivey) or even Queen's.

after Rotman and Schulich comes Queen's. they've been on the rise lately, developing a specialty in graduates with engineering backgrounds. however, they are also much less selective (and thus prestigious) than programs like Ivey or Rotman. a graduate from Queen's would need to be quite exceptional in order to compete with the other programs for popular IB/MC positions. because it's located about 3 hrs east of Toronto, Queen's also suffers from its location vs. Schulich or Rotman, which are both in Toronto.

all in all, while these are all regional elite schools, i think the ranking goes like 1. Ivey, 2. Rotman, 3. Schulich, 4. Queen's, and internationally, i believe only the Ivey name carries any weight at all. however, i think that if Rotman plays its cards right, they can really build a much more globally reputable name in the long run based on the undergraduate institution's strength in academia.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [5]
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Kudos
to keep my previous post from running too long, i'd also like to speak separately about the 2 Chinese programs - CEIBS and Tsinghua (and also Beijing University should be mentioned here as well, as it is considered to be on par with or slightly behind Tsinghua in China). i'm Chinese and have worked for a yr in Shanghai, so i can offer a bit more of a "local" view of these programs.

CEIBS is a very strong program. its graduates get great offers and are very immersed in the international business scene in China. it's located in Shanghai, which is the major international business hub in mainland China (more so than Beijing, which is more political...although more multinational companies are setting up their HQ's in Beijing these days). however, their problem is that they're simply taking people who are already working (and doing well) in multinationals and churning them out for a promotion within a yr's time. there is very little value in this program for others who do not possess a strong corporate background already and who's not already in mid-management. the program is very 1 dimensional and does little to help its students transition from say...nonprofit into IB or vice versa.

Tsinghua has the best undergrad program in China hands down. its alumni network permeates the top of the political structure and the business world of China. the strength of this network really cannot be underestimated. however, its not as well known internationally as CEIBS, whose alumni are all in multinational corporations. in this sense, Tsinghua is comparable to programs such as oxford and yale...great undergrad reputation and lots of senior leadership within its alumni ranks. however, the MBA program is quite new and not as internationally recognized.

in terms of reputation, i believe that CEIBS will have the upperhand in the near future. however, eventually Tsinghua will overtake CEIBS as the top program out of China (and possibly all of asia excluding INSEAD's singapore campus). Tsinghua is already staffing up on better faculty than CEIBS, drawing from their alumni pool that pursued phd's and other graduate studies in North America and Europe. they also have a very interesting joint IMBA program with MIT-Sloan, which offers a degree from Tsinghua and a certificate from Sloan, as well as a chance for a handful of top students to study at Sloan for their 2nd yr for an IMBA from Tsinghua and a MSc from Sloan in Management.

however, for anyone interested in these programs, they should definitely keep in mind that Western brand names carry much more weight in China. people there LOVE someone with a western mba...obvious i'm not saying an MBA from Idaho or somewhere is going to be better than Tsinghua in China. but for those interested in a career in China, they should definitely consider getting a decent Western degree first and then moving to China to work...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Some well articulated and insightful posts !! kudos.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
I`ve currently exchanged out to Berkeley and they only exchange with 7 schools :-

IESE, LBS, HEC, Erasmus, SDA Bocconi, Columbia and HKUST.

I beleive these sort of alliances show some sort of indication as to the quality of the schools.

Even ESADE has an exchange program with Berkeley
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Why is there no mention about AIM Manila? doesnt it fall even into the regional elite category??...i have heard its a excellent school in Asia...kindly provide some comments...
Current Student
 Q44  V49
Send PM
rahuljaiswal wrote:
Why is there no mention about AIM Manila? doesnt it fall even into the regional elite category??...i have heard its a excellent school in Asia...kindly provide some comments...

i can't speak for other countries, but i know in china, a Tsinghua undergrad will get you further than an AIM Manila MBA...so yeah...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rahuljaiswal wrote:

Bsd_lover ....i would like you to comment on this!!!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
DrSatisfaction wrote:
rahuljaiswal wrote:

i can't speak for other countries, but i know in china, a Tsinghua undergrad will get you further than an AIM Manila MBA...so yeah...

I havent heard abt Tsinghua....but will check it out anyways..thanks :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
what about CEU business School, and Hult Business School !!! please reply if you anyone know anything about these two schools...Thanks :|
Current Student
 Q44  V49
Send PM
rahuljaiswal wrote:
I havent heard abt Tsinghua....but will check it out anyways..thanks :)

it's considered the most prestigious school in china. extremely hard to get in and graduates always land great jobs. i know chinese companies that only hire from harvard/stanford or tsinghua...and trust me these are VERY selective companies.

the school alumni also dominates pretty much the top of the chinese political and business worlds.

hence the reason why in china they're pretty much the best. like i said though, i can't speak for other countries...
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
WE 1: insurance
WE 2: IT
Send PM
In the Indian context you can add XLRI Jamshedpur to the RE list.
The school is traditionally believed to be among the top five in the country the other four being IIM - A, B, C, L respectively and varies in rankings from 2 to 5 ( the newer IIMs don't make the cut as someone pointed our earlier)

The school has a dedicated Human resources program (that is regarded as the best in South Asia ) apart from it's regular Business Management program. The HR program - 60 years old - has alumni at the top in Indian and foreign companies and is the reason the school is widely known.

Like the IIMs it is a good feeding ground for CP (FMCG) , HR Consultants, industry and
business .
The number of IB and Consulting jobs offered at the campus used to lesser than IIM -A,B,C.
(don't have the latest stats)

The school also has a small class size - 120 (HR) and 120 ( BM).
The figure used to 60 each five years ago. So, the alumni base is relatively smaller.

Others are welcome to add to the details.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
What about Copenhagen Business School- is that considered on par with Rotterdam?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7