Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 00:42 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 00:42
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
 1   2   3  ...  35   
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:BC (PT), NYU (PT), Oxford, Cambridge, IMD
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2010 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Boston2009 and Danswer,

It’s nice to see this thread to come alive! :)

Application will be available from the beginning of September – maybe a bit earlier for Cambridge. Also, Cambridge usually changes their question from year to year (they had three essays of 400 words and also some mini-essays questions in the app itself) – so I think there’s no point in preparing them in advance. If you are interested, their old app can still be downloaded here.

Oxford, on the contrary, is known to keep its essay topics – so, here they are:

Oxford Essay Topics:

Essay 1. Explain why you chose your current job. How do you hope to see your career developing over the next five years? How will an MBA assist you in the development of these ambitions? Maximum 1,000 words.

Essay 2. Which recent development, world event or book has most influenced your thinking and why? Maximum 2,000 words.

Cambridge will probably have some version of ‘goals’ and ‘career path’ essays too, so I’d say Oxford Essay 1 could be re-used (at least partially) for their app as well.

If you have any more questions - feel free to ask!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Greenoak,

Thanks for your useful post. :-D

I understand from your post that Cambridge is known for changing essays from year to year. Are you aware whether Cambridge changes its short question from year to year? If not then it might be worthwhile to start with those from previous year application.

Cheers
Kaushik
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Kaushik,

As I, unfortunately, don’t have intimate connections with Cambridge MBA admissions, it’s hard for me to predict to which extent they will change their questions this year.

All I can do is to give some analysis of changes between 2008 and 2009 applications, so that we can estimate what we may expect this year:

Here are essays from 2008 application:

1. Tell us about a project or task where you did not perform well. What did you learn about yourself?

2. How would you like to be remembered?

3. Why is the Cambridge MBA right for you?

Note that only the third question has remained relatively the same in 2009 application, while the other two have changed to ‘describe yourself’ and ‘leadership style’.

And this is an essay-type question in Career Objectives of 2008 application:

What is your immediate post-MBA career objective? What will you be doing ten years after graduation? What skills/experience do you already have that will help achieve your aims? How will the Cambridge MBA help you? (400 words in total)

In 2009 application, this question has become more detailed and was divided into three parts: a) career progression to date (300 words) b) immediate post MBA goals (300 words) c) long term goals (150 words).

So, as you can see, it indeed might be a good idea to start working on some questions from the past application, if you don’t mind later editing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dear all,

This is my first post in gmatclub. I wish good luck to all of you. Here is a note from JBS website.

Applications for entry in September 2010 will open on 1 September 2009. Deadlines and their corresponding decision dates and proposed interview days are listed below. The essay questions will appear on this page within the next few weeks.
The following are the main essay questions on the Cambridge MBA application:

* Describe yourself. What are your strengths and how do you utilise them? What attributes would you like to improve upon and why? (up to 400 words)
* Describe the worst team experience you have ever had. What did you do? (up to 400 words)
* Either: In which place have you felt most inspired and why?
Or: If you only had twenty-four hours to live, how would you spend them? (up to 300 words)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Welcome to Gmatclub, Arisra -

And kudos for posting the essay questions. This last one ('24 hours to live') is one of the favourites at various semi-professional, semi-psychological trainings we had at my previous job :)

I've updated the first post with the Cambridge MBA admission deadlines.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Great thanks, Greenoak,

I found this website really very useful. I'm also planning to apply to Oxbridge for 2010. I'm working on my GMAT actually now. I'll do my best to apply in 1st round , but not fully sure about that. All the best to all applicants.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Greenoak, you truly are doing a Yeoman1s service.(have written a PM 2 u as well). it will be a true honour to be your batchmate at Said and meet u personally in another 2 months. pls continue the good work u are truly an outstanding brand ambassador that any B school can gream to get. 5 kudos. by the way any inside news on 2008 placement report for said? the website is dangerously silent.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
devil420 wrote:
Greenoak, you truly are doing a Yeoman1s service.(have written a PM 2 u as well). it will be a true honour to be your batchmate at Said and meet u personally in another 2 months. pls continue the good work u are truly an outstanding brand ambassador that any B school can gream to get. 5 kudos. by the way any inside news on 2008 placement report for said? the website is dangerously silent.

Yes, I would've been honored myself to be Greenoak's classmate. I just don't understand what have they those... people from Cambridge Judge thinking?!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
For the second Oxford question - Essay 2. Which recent development, world event or book has most influenced your thinking and why? Maximum 2,000 words.

I was thinking of writing about a personal story for the recent development - but I am unsure if that would successfully answer the question. Or are they looking for a recent development on a larger scale - like the financial crisis or something of that nature?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hi Hhh,

Writing about ‘global things’, if they are not connected to you, is in fact not a good idea at all.

Story of personal development, on the contrary, could be fine – but whether it will successfully answer the question, depends on the content of the story. Even if it’s personal, it is still connected with some ideas, observations, concepts that made you think and inspired you to change – you changed, and it means that you perceive the world differently now. So, even in the story of your personal life, there could be a definite link to the more global and general issues – you could create a very strong essay if you develop this story in a right way.

To Devil420 and Pathfinder: Thanks, guys... You are too kind :oops:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:INSEAD (Attending Aug 2010), Oxford (Admitted), Cambridge (Admitted)
 Q46  V41
Send PM
Thanks, Greenoak for starting the thread....yup I'm aiming for R1 Oxbridge. GMAT out...now on to the essays :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Hi All,

After a long time away from gmatclub, I am back.

Good luck to all 2010/11 Oxbridge applicants, i'll try to help greenoak in answering questions here.

-buff
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [0]
Concentration: General
 Q50  V34
Send PM
the second essay expects to know these ( on a very broad level)

how the person thinks, what he thinks about and how much he is influenced by these thoughts.

It is actually a beautiful essay topic, as it would be difficult to write about something in 2000 words if you dont whole heartedly feel about the topic.

some of my friends suggested had told me : write about things like 'my birth' and some similar topics.

see ,the issue here is that , you have to realise that this essay will portray a virtual picture abt the kind of person you are viz, are you a visionary, are you altrusitic, responsible, open to others feelings and inputs, potential to show leadership,team player, how well informed about reality, etc etc...
So as soon as the adcom finish reading this essay, they will have constructed a picture that reflects their opinion of you as a prospective Oxford mgmt student.

so if i were to write about 'my birth' , then i'm sure i would not have been able to show the adcom the above mentioned qualities in myself... so i suggest to prospective applicants.. write something that involves more than yourself .

btw.. 'my birth' ... well there was nothing great for anybody and sometimes if i think , not even for myself... prob my family could have written 2000 words on this topic, but not me..

:)

best of luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
 Q50  V41
Send PM
This is a question about interviews for both Oxford and Cambridge.

I live in the US (west coast) and will not be able to attend the interviews personally in UK. My question is do you know if these schools schedule interviews in US (in my case, DC or SFO would be ideal).

If so, does this vary round by round depending on if they are visiting US.

If you were interviewed in the US, which round and where were you interviewed.

I was really hoping to get a personal interview (if I am selected, that is)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
humblewinner wrote:
This is a question about interviews for both Oxford and Cambridge.

I live in the US (west coast) and will not be able to attend the interviews personally in UK. My question is do you know if these schools schedule interviews in US (in my case, DC or SFO would be ideal).

If so, does this vary round by round depending on if they are visiting US.

If you were interviewed in the US, which round and where were you interviewed.

I was really hoping to get a personal interview (if I am selected, that is)

Hi humblewinner,

I know for a fact that Oxford schedules interviews in the USA on both coasts. Alternatively you can also opt for a telephonic interview, although inperson is always a better experience in my opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Send PM
Calling all Judge MBA 2009/2010 Applicants!!! [#permalink]
Guys,

I am applying to Judge soon. The R1 starts in a few weeks time and I have read the essay questions.

Nationality: Malaysia

My GMAT score: 630 (on the border line for Judge).

Work Experience: 3+ currently, but would be 4+ if I get admitted for 2010 intake

Background: Undergrad in Chemical Engineering but been working as a Service Executive (recently promoted) taking care of mechanics and being in charge of Sales

Anyone applying to Judge this year? Let's pool our resources.

P.S: I am also applying to Imperial College (got a place to stay there)... Imperial seems a bit easier on the deadlines, requirements, etc... (cos its not as good a school as Judge or Said, but hey it's decent enough)..

Originally posted by cialit0506 on 18 Aug 2009, 10:10.
Last edited by greenoak on 18 Aug 2009, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Merged into Oxbridge Topic
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
To Humblewinner:
I concur with Buffdaddy redarding Said Interviews.

As for Judge - AFAIK, it is possible to be interviewed during one of the MBA Fairs in which they participate, but it seems they do not schedule special overseas interviews. Phone interviews are also possible in some cases - but they strongly prefer candidates to visit the School for the Interview day, if invited.

To Cialit:
Welcome to the forums! Feel free to ask any specific questions about Judge/Said - and good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3  ...  35