Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 01:43 It is currently 03 May 2024, 01:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Peer review for former enlisted soldier: [#permalink]
Quote:
Quote:
Do you mind telling us what school you meant to? Or atleast what tier? Also, what percentile does a Q44 correspond to?

I'm not too familiar with ranking of my school or the ranking system commonly used on this forum, but I went to Lewis & Clark College (Portland, OR) - a small liberal arts college with a decent reputation in the social sciences; I graduated in May '08.
My GMAT percentages: 710 (92%), Q44 (69%), V44 (97%), AWA 6.0 (90%).

I do know that Wharton prefers to see an 80th percentile or higher in the quant portion of the GMAT. Based on your major, I'm guessing you haven't taken too many quant classes (stats, microecon, calculus, etc). If you have the time, it may not be a bad idea to take some quant classes through extension or at a local community college.

Quote:
Quote:
International experience... very nice. Were you deployed at all while you were in the Army?

I deployed to Kuwait & Iraq to start the war, but I consider enduring El Paso TX for 3+ years a greater accomplishment. :roll:

Deployment experience- that's good! Might be some good material for your essays.

Quote:
Quote:
Any extracurriculars/hobbies/community service after college?

I have hobbies, but nothing that involves any serious organizational or leadership opportunities... could I explain this away by saying I haven't been out of college too long?

No, I don't that would be a good explanation, especially since you are currently unemployed. What hobbies do you have exactly?

Quote:
Quote:
Your career goals could be a little more specific- what exactly do you want to do after your MBA (i.e. what position, what function, what industry, what company)?. Also, I don't see anywhere in your background where you've been involved in the renewable energy field. Why do you want to do renewable energy? You career goals should logically tie your past experiences with your future goals. The MBA should fill in the gaps in your skillset.

You bring up good questions; I didn't want to get into too much detail so as to keep the profile short and readable. Also, to be honest, these are questions I can't articulately answer with great specificity yet (especially since its midnight & I'm unusually tired for some reason).

Understood. Keep in mind that a clear idea of what you want to get out of your MBA is very important, especially in this economy. I feel this is especially true for joint degree applicants since you'll need a very convincing reason to justify the additional opportunity cost (more time in school, more time out of the work force, etc).

Quote:
Quote:
Are you currently in Russia or the US? Also, what else have you been doing with your time besides studying for the GMAT?

I'm currently in the US. Unfortunately, besides the GMAT, I've done practically NOTHING since I left my job in Mid-April '09. However, I accepted a scholarship to do some independent studying in Beijing starting Sep 09; but for the next month, its campus visits & application essays. I wonder whether this will be a red flag factor as well...?

Yeah, I think it may be a red flag...but it's definitely good you have something lined up. Although, it'd be better if you had a job lined up. Maybe you can say you spent this period looking for employment (totally understandable in this economy) and academic pursuits. I really don't think it will be looked upon favorably to have spent 5 months mostly working on the GMAT, visiting schools, and working on application essays. I say this not to be mean or harsh, but because there will be plenty of candidates in highly demanding careers who are doing those things in addition to working 60+ hours a week.

These are just my candid opinions... hope you don't take offense to anything. Just trying to help a fellow vet out...
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Quote:
I do know that Wharton prefers to see an 80th percentile or higher in the quant portion of the GMAT. Based on your major, I'm guessing you haven't taken too many quant classes (stats, microecon, calculus, etc). If you have the time, it may not be a bad idea to take some quant classes through extension or at a local community college.

You're right, maybe I could get some math classes in while I'm in Beijing.

Quote:
Deployment experience- that's good! Might be some good material for your essays.

Well... I might have to leave out the best material though: "field sanitation", hehehe...

Quote:
No, I don't think that would be a good explanation, especially since you are currently unemployed. What hobbies do you have exactly?

Well, most of my hobbies are not group/organization based (i.e. swimming, hiking, Go, chess, etc). The closest thing I could think of as far as "community service/volunteering" goes would be a recent neighborhood cleanup of a huge drainage area which needed some serious work so as to comply with county inspection standards.

Quote:
Understood. Keep in mind that a clear idea of what you want to get out of your MBA is very important, especially in this economy. I feel this is especially true for joint degree applicants since you'll need a very convincing reason to justify the additional opportunity cost (more time in school, more time out of the work force, etc).

The joint degree will not be hard to justify for me.
1. Regardless of my MBA concentration, given my language abilities and past experiences, I will inevitably be a valuable asset in the field of international business - I must have proper knowledge of assessing int'l political environments.
2. The extra investment in time (& by extension, money) does not apply to all schools; Wharton & Booth have 2 year joint degree programs. Even if I spend an extra year, in the grand scheme of things, I still haven't fallen too much behind, since I finished my undergrad in 3 years instead of the usual 4.
3. The second IR degree is a logical extension of my undergrad academic pursuit/interest, I want to study it because I truly love it.
4. Its always good to cultivate multiple career options and remain flexible, especially in this market.

Quote:
Yeah, I think it may be a red flag...but it's definitely good you have something lined up. Although, it'd be better if you had a job lined up. Maybe you can say you spent this period looking for employment (totally understandable in this economy) and academic pursuits. I really don't think it will be looked upon favorably to have spent 5 months mostly working on the GMAT, visiting schools, and working on application essays. I say this not to be mean or harsh, but because there will be plenty of candidates in highly demanding careers who are doing those things in addition to working 60+ hours a week.

These are just my candid opinions... hope you don't take offense to anything. Just trying to help a fellow vet out...

Please remember, I served in the Army - that is not an institution which takes people's feelings into strong consideration, so you (& anyone else reading this thread) can be as harsh and unforgiving as you want. I need the close scrutiny and skeptical questions now just so I can be prepared to deal with it come essays/interview time. I deeply appreciate the fact that you're helping me out as a fellow vet, and no offense will be taken.

But to answer your question, yes, as a matter of fact I have been searching for jobs, the scholarship was a backup plan, which, unfortunately, I would have to resort to at this point.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Quote:

Please remember, I served in the Army - that is not an institution which takes people's feelings into strong consideration, so you (& anyone else reading this thread) can be as harsh and unforgiving as you want. I need the close scrutiny and skeptical questions now just so I can be prepared to deal with it come essays/interview time. I deeply appreciate the fact that you're helping me out as a fellow vet, and no offense will be taken.

But to answer your question, yes, as a matter of fact I have been searching for jobs, the scholarship was a backup plan, which, unfortunately, I would have to resort to at this point.

Oh good... keep in mind I come from the Air Force... we tend to be more in touch with our "softer" side.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Quote:
Oh good... keep in mind I come from the Air Force... we tend to be more in touch with our "softer" side.

Ah yes... that softer side is reflected by the fact that you guys kill people from a distance of at least 5-10 miles. 8-) :twisted:
GMAT Club Bot