Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 05:30 It is currently 23 May 2024, 05:30
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: How to make essays personal? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Class2012 wrote:
I keep hearing that essays should be made personal.Any tips on making them appear personal?

I agree with the previous posters, and I could probably also write a book on the topic. In fact, Paul Bodine, who responds to questions in the Accepted.com thread, has written a book in which he discusses this topic at length.

A large part my recent webinar "Roadmap to Bold & Brilliant MBA Essays" also dealt with this question. And there are many, many MBA resources at Accepted that touch on it.

A few succinct tips:
* Be specific to distinguish yourself from the many applicants in the same broad general categories as you.
* Provide anecdotal examples from your life experiences to support more general claims and statements.
* Reflect on influential experiences and discuss what you learned from those experiences.

The mix of distinctive description of events unique to you with your own analysis of those events -- what led up to them and flowed from them -- will create essays that ARE personal. The appearance is not enough.

Best,
Linda Abraham

Originally posted by Accepted.com on 29 Jul 2009, 12:33.
Last edited by Accepted.com on 29 Jul 2009, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:
I keep hearing that essays should be made personal.Any tips on making them appear personal?

agree with the above sentiments. Personal means just that. Don't be cliche. Be unique and interesting in telling your stories. Also definitely have 1 or 2 people proofread your essays. It is amazing how much garbage you think is interesting:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:

Few ways... add scans of your fingerprints (apparently very personal) or lips (when wearing your personal lipstick); for Stern (for their "creative" essay) send something personal (wisdom tooth to combine personality without loosing "knowledge" message between the lines); use in your essays words "personal" and "personally"; add watermark (your personal photo) to your essays.

More seriously - what did you think this means before you asked question here?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
garbus222 wrote:
Few ways... add scans of your fingerprints (apparently very personal) or lips (when wearing your personal lipstick); for Stern (for their "creative" essay) send something personal (wisdom tooth to combine personality without loosing "knowledge" message between the lines); use in your essays words "personal" and "personally"; add watermark (your personal photo) to your essays.?

:lol: :lol:

Quote:

I thought there is something more than giving examples from your work/non-work life.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Class2012 wrote:
garbus222 wrote:
Few ways... add scans of your fingerprints (apparently very personal) or lips (when wearing your personal lipstick); for Stern (for their "creative" essay) send something personal (wisdom tooth to combine personality without loosing "knowledge" message between the lines); use in your essays words "personal" and "personally"; add watermark (your personal photo) to your essays.?

:lol: :lol:

Quote:

I thought there is something more than giving examples from your work/non-work life.

Like what?
GMAT Club Bot