Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 05:10 It is currently 23 May 2024, 05:10
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Strategy
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: how many rounds of essay review is enough? [#permalink]
Dynabook,
The schools, much like yourself, will have multiple eyeballs looking at your essays. So the odds of all of them hating your writing style is lowered. And then there are some of the school of thought that content is more important than style, so the odds that you will be rejected on style alone is still lower.

My 0.02$...

I'll just share what has happened with me so far. I spent about 1 week on my Kellogg essay and had 2 people (one a Kellogg student to be, another my sister both recent applicants fresh off writing a lot of essays :) ) and I still got back corrections on different essays on both. I've decided to set it aside and work on my next set of essays (considering I have 4 sets to write it seemed prudent to do this). I am sure when I revisit the essays at the end of the month I will be able to look at what I wrote more objectively and incorporate some of the changes the both of them suggested.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I had about four people read my essays for two schools - Kellogg, Booth. I asked each person to identify their top three changes, and more importantly, why they thought that change was needed. That helped me understand whether feedback was based on personal preference of the reviewer, something missing in terms of content, etc. Since my writing style is fairly consistent, I just cross-applied their comments across my other essays, without needing additional feedback.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
dynabook wrote:
How many rounds did you guys ask (or plan to ask) your friends to review the essays?

I'm feeling kinda lost after two rounds... too many comments...

My essays were passed around only once to about 6 friends. Some of them were also applying to bschool so it was mutually beneficial.

1) Concentrate on content of the essay first. If they have comments on the content of your essay and you agree with those comments, then go ahead and work to revise those concerns.

2) After that, worry about grammar and the structure of the essay. This is more of putting icing on the cake. The contents of your essays will lay out firm foundation to your essays. Comments that address your grammar and structure can only be addressed after STEP 1 mentioned above.

3) Just because your friends have million different comments, not all of them are valid points. Different people write differently and chances are, you might be a better writer compared to your friends. If you can be brutally honest about the quality of your essay and keep an open mind, then you can identify the comments that you should take seriously.

4) If you apply to Yale SOM, hell, I will review your essays. :lol:
j/k....maybe not.....who knows? That reminds me. My classes start Monday and I have my own issues..... :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Some good advice already in this thread but will put in my .02 cents.

My plan is to get essays reviewed by 3 sets of individuals:

1. Person who is intimately familiar with you and who has no trouble taking you to the cleaners. In my case, my wife who can point out if the story makes sense. Whether there are other stories I should be considering, etc, etc. This is a content discussion.

2. Person who understands the MBA rigmarole. In my case, I have some colleagues at work/people associated with MBA programs to read through the essays to see if it paints the MBA story. This is an important step and I think can be valuable in pointing out logical inconsistencies, inadequate detail, and a lack of a cohesive narrative.

3. Finally, I have lined up a previous boss (English PhD) to work through style, grammar, flow, etc type issues.

The bonus review is from students who have already been admitted to the program you are applying to or alternatively someone who has been part of the Admissions process at your chosen program. Hopefully, the GMATClub community will continue to do what it does best and help each other out!!

However - remember to trust your gut. Complete overhaul of essays which leave devoid of personality and a certain rawness wont make for great essays. This is advice from a good samaritan at GMATClub who was generous enough to read my outlines.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
thank you guys.
I agree. One, or at most two rounds seem to be enough.
After all, reviewing is just another tool of assistance. I guess I was taking the comments too seriously.
GMAT Club Bot