Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:53 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg
 Q50  V48
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink]
Throwing my hat in the ring for R1...
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
i'll know after 5:30 PM tomorrow if i'm in for R1... or even in at all :shock: . good luck to everyone who is in the hunt already!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
 Q42  V48
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
im in for R1, provided my 3rd recommender comes through by the deadline...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is it for HBS still the case that they will process your application when two of the three recommendations are there?
Director
Director
 Q48  V51
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
i'll know after 5:30 PM tomorrow if i'm in for R1... or even in at all :shock: . good luck to everyone who is in the hunt already!

well i'm in for R1... good luck everyone. just as i'm finishing a month+ of studying for the GMAT, i now have a month for the HBS essays :twisted:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship, High Tech
Schools:HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
 Q49  V40
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:

well i'm in for R1... good luck everyone. just as i'm finishing a month+ of studying for the GMAT, i now have a month for the HBS essays :twisted:

GMAT 770? Great feat dude...good luck for R1, I have decided to take work towards R2 for HBS.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q48  V35
Send PM
Count me in for this suicidal mission :twisted: (Count me in R2, I'll post here if I made it to R1).

The MBA is delay-able for me (at least for one year), so I might as well target the crazy super elite schools and learn from the experience if none goes through. (Going for HBS and Stanford and maybe Wharton).
Director
Director
 Q48  V51
Send PM
for all you guys already preparing your apps - or for anyone who has already gone through the process; do you think there's any advantage to having an HBS alum write one of your recommendations (assuming he knows you well enough to write one)?

for my third LOR, i am selecting a VP at my previous job (an HBS alum) who regarded me highly. although i didn't report directly to him, i did deal with him daily, and prepared weekly analytical reports for him at his meetings. since the company was so small, he got to know me fairly well. i selected him instead of my manager, which i'm hoping is not a mistake further down the road.
Manager
Manager
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg
 Q50  V48
Send PM
My sense is that it's not much of an advantage, but as long as he knows you well and will write a good rec, I think it's fine that he's not your manager. It is typically important that your manager at your CURRENT job write a rec for you, but you have more discretion with the other two recs. It's always nice to have someone that went to that school that can testify to why you're a good fit, but I don't think it will make or break you unless he's a super big shot alum.

My recommenders are 2 HBS and 1 without an MBA, and that's just a coincidence as I thought they were the best folks based on our relationship and the accomplishments they witnessed. They'll be writing recs for all of my schools, not just HBS, so I will not have official alum recommenders elsewhere.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Hello Guys

I am working on the HBS application and wondering if any one can help me with the following questions puzzling my mind

1) Whether Chartered Accountant(india), Company Secretary(india) and Certified Public Accountant (US) should be mentioned under Graduate or undergraduate courses

2) The intership for Chartered Accountant which is 36 monhs (20 months during college and rest after graduating) should be mentioned in the full time or should be mentioned under part time (during college)?

Your help will be much appreciated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q48  V35
Send PM
Done with the first essay (560 words).

The accomplishments are 1 personal, 1 EC and 1 professional.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:HBS, Stanford.
Send PM
Does anyone know what's reasonable overage on rec letter word limits?

I know that for essays it is typically a pretty hard and fast rule to be within (or at least near) the word limits. I understand that it is commonly accepted for recommendations to run longer than word limits, but how much longer than the 250 words on Q3 is still considered reasonable? 500? 1000? 2000?

Given that LoR writers are asked to include detailed anecdotes, 250 seems like a tight fit.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
Probably applying round 1 here - depending on how the GMAT goes September 28th. If it is not where I want it..... Round 2 it is.

My Recommendations are in and essays #1 and #2 are complete. Now I need to find $250 for the HBS Beer fund.
Director
Director
 Q48  V51
Send PM
I spoke to an alumni (~10 years out), and he told me that he got into HBS without an interview. I realize this is probably not common; does anyone know if HBS still does this? Or is an interview going to be required of everyone who is going to get in?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:MIT
 Q50  V46
Send PM
I have some questions about the mistake essays:

1. Is it a good idea to use an episode that will also be covered in the "weakness" or "constructive feedback" section of a recommendation?
I think it could be good in that it reinforces I have heard and responded to feedback. It could also minimize the surface area for weaknesses...
OTOH what if MY re-telling of the story is different from that by my recommender? I think we probably will have some differences in how bad the situation was, how badly i messed up...

2. What if the mistake I talk about is another similar episode? It happened before the one that my recommender would talk about.
In this case it is almost like admitting I messed up, saying I improved, and then my recommender saying I made the same mistake again?

3. What if you can't show improvement?
The other episode I am thinking about could make for a good story but I wasn't able to turn things around and I can't find a good analogy in other parts of my life.
It also explains why I have been "sort of" involved in an EC.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
gmatbschool wrote:
3. What if you can't show improvement?.

I think the improvement part is the most important element you need to have. The whole point of the essay is to show that you can learn from your mistakes - we all mess up, but if you show any hint that you are doing it repeatedly, you have may have chosen the wrong mistake.

Think of a mistake that was your fault but you and your recommender can demonstrate it as fixed and not repeated. If its something an MBA can fix - perfect. If one of your other essays talks about a success that results from your fix- you're rock solid.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Strategy
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Count me in for HBS class of 2012...

My profile:

Male, 29, Engineer (PhD) , Pakistani/Canadian, GMAT 710, multilingual, international exposure

I know I am too old for it. But still, I will give it a try...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  79   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts