Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:47 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Letter of Recommendation Horror Stories [#permalink]
bigfernhead wrote:
Ouch

rhyme wrote:
How about a letter of recommendation for a 40+ year old candidate that included 'maturity' under his 'areas of improvement'? Does that count?

What do you suggest to address the specific situation listed above?

I'd probably update the school with the correct document. It isn't going to reflect poorly on you in any way, and this sort of thing happens all the time. I personally think it better to correct it than to not.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:
Ouch

rhyme wrote:
How about a letter of recommendation for a 40+ year old candidate that included 'maturity' under his 'areas of improvement'? Does that count?

Grow up.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Seriously?

milias wrote:
bigfernhead wrote:
Ouch

rhyme wrote:

Grow up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General, Management & Org Behaviour
Schools:Chicago Booth class of 2012
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:
I haven't seen too many of these listed in the forum, so I figure I'd start one in hopes this helps people deal with the panic I'm going through now. LOL.

Let's hear them!

My recommender submitted the a letter of rec to the wrong school (wrong school name with the wrong questions).

How do I fix this? I heard that most schools allow you to send an email "revision", which gets attached to your application. But that also means that they will see your previous submission, and which I think will cause them to raise their eyebrows. To make matters worst, most schools ask the same questions in the applications, so people tend to reuse the recs. Sending a revised version with just changes in the structure (copy+paste) to adhere to the question for that particular school seems silly.

What are your thoughts?

You should send an apology and get your recommender to send the right letter. Easy. No sweat. Not your mistake. Just make sure his new response is correctly tailored to their questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most schools let you delete the recommender/recommendation from your application even after it is submitted. If your current recommenders are not enthusiastic, then select a new one
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Thanks for your tips.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:
Seriously?

I think he meant in response to the 40+ year old, not to your situation.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
radicalchange wrote:
Most schools let you delete the recommender/recommendation from your application even after it is submitted. If your current recommenders are not enthusiastic, then select a new one

You probably meant that you can change your recommender in the app system before he/she submits his/her recommendation on your behalf, right? Because once the recommendation letter is submitted by the recommender, you can't retract it anymore. At least that's how I remember it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Stanford,MIT, Haas, HBS
 Q47  V42
Send PM
My key rec went on vacation (unknown to me!) the week before H and S were due. He got back Oct 6th, rushed a letter to S and was three weeks late on H.

I was sick about it.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Retail, Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Send PM
I prepped my recommenders in August for R1 providing them with tons of information. My key reco vanished from August to November (no email, no cell, no office line) pushing all my apps to R2. Thankfully, he's around and successfully submitted this week.

I did use the extra few months to visit schools (H/Columbia) that I wouldn't have if I applied in R1....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi Nink,

Some of the portals for schools I applied to had an option to delete the recommender after the application and prior to the official application review. It varies from school to school I guess.

nink wrote:
radicalchange wrote:

You probably meant that you can change your recommender in the app system before he/she submits his/her recommendation on your behalf, right? Because once the recommendation letter is submitted by the recommender, you can't retract it anymore. At least that's how I remember it.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Darden '12
Send PM
Don't know if this is a "horror" story but...

I asked the Chaplain I had in Iraq to be a "wild card" 3rd recommender for HBS and Stanford. He was in a unique position to write about the work I did in Iraq that wasn't part of my job duties or responsibilities, but specifically did to raise the morale of my Marines. It was a "wild card" because i knew the risks involved. A) Since he's a "chaplain", the adcoms could assume that he would write the nicest thing because as a spiritual adviser, he may be reluctant to write something negative about me. B) I've seen some of the sermons he's given, and while sometimes they're pretty articulate and somewhat inspirational, some of them are downright basic and elementary. I wouldn't know which Chaplain personality would be sitting behind the computer when he writes the recommendation.

The upside, of course, would be huge. I feel that the story he would be able to tell, from his unique perspective, if told effectively, would be extremely compelling.

So....

A few days ago, around 11am, I check my Rec status. He hasn't started. "That's fine" I thought. "He's got plenty of time."

At around 1pm, I get a gmail notification saying that he's submitted the HBS rec! "Crap!" I think. " Within the last 2 hours, he opened up the HBS rec link, wrote down what he thought, and he submitted. He didn't even call me to clarify anything, or ask any questions or anything! Did he even take the time to really think things through? Did he choose his words carefully, knowing the immensity of what this recommendation is to my career?"

at around 1:20...I get ANOTHER gmail alert. The chaplain just submitted the Stanford rec!!! 20 mins!

Now I'm freaking out. Writing a thoughtful and compelling rec should take more than 20 mins, shouldn't it?

I sent him an email, thanking him for his time and support, but with a slightly probing question. In the recommendation packet I gave him, I added a Stanford adcom podcast transcript that gives advice to recommenders in how/what to write. (if you want it, i've posted it here https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-us-military-fall-2010-applicants-83186.html) So in the email, I ask him, "Hey Sir, I hope the Stanford transcript wasn't too much information. Was it helpful to you, Sir?" In essence, asking if he even read it, to assuage my fears that he wouldn't even know what a good rec would look or sound like.

He replied "No problem at all. The information was helpful."

So I'm hoping he read it, and I'm hoping it helped. But jeez louise. 20mins to write a rec? am I freakin out for no reason?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Send PM
I have two to share: one is done, one is in progress.

Done: I gave Rec1 (Recommendar 1) about two months notice to do two of my letters. He doesn't do anything till last week. Then all of a sudden a get a notice that my letter for 1st school has been submitted. I'm happy, but confused. Did he had no questions? Last time we talked we agreed that we would discuss the letter before he submits it. But what can I do now? it's submitted. So I call him, and as it so happens it goes to the VM. Half an hour later, the 2nd school is submitted as well. *Oh well, it's out of hands now. Let's just hope that I had never pissed him off enough...*

In progress: Gave him (Rec2) two months lead time, no progress so far. I doubt he has even logged in. Now this guy is the most laziest one. He straight away asked me to write it up, so he can submit it. I declined, saying it has to be his own words, but I can help him in putting it together. So I gave him a dossier of all the info I would like highlighted. Still this guy won't move an inch, doesn't return phone calls, no responses to e-mails. Basically he has tried his best to close down all channels of communications. Since there is only a little more than two weeks left, I'm getting really frustrated. and it has started to affect the stuff that I need to do, apps essays, et al.,
Do not really no what to do?
Any advice, suggestions?

• I cannot really give him an ultimatum, I think most will agree that's just a bad idea.
  • If I wait till the D-day, hoping he will pull it off at the last minute, I will be in a mess if he suddenly has 'computer problems' during that time.
  • Forget the 2nd rec, just go with a single rec from Rec3?
    Beg Rec1 to do a couple more?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I'm in that same situation Jivana. I already submitted 1 rolling app and have another due in 4 days, and my writer has become completely unresponsive for the last 3 weeks. I begged my other rec writer to do it. Hopefully that works out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Jivana wrote:
Any advice, suggestions?

I had the same problem with one of my recommenders. Best advice is to go visit them personally( if you are in the same city of course) and get the job done. Even if this means paying a visit to them everyday, just do so

It worked for me

Cheers,

Unplugged
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Booth '21 (I)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
My referrer recently sent the HBS letter to Oxford's SBS! She has the letter I helped her with for Oxford but she accidentally mixed up HBS and SBS. Does anyone know how SBS takes this? Has this happened to anyone before, with regards SBS? I am very worried! Deadline is in 2 days.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
BooYaah wrote:
My referrer recently sent the HBS letter to Oxford's SBS! She has the letter I helped her with for Oxford but she accidentally mixed up HBS and SBS. Does anyone know how SBS takes this? Has this happened to anyone before, with regards SBS? I am very worried! Deadline is in 2 days.
Poor BooYaah I am really sorry this happened to you I just cringed when I read this. I wish I could be more optimistic but I don't see Oxford being cool with this. This is especially the case with schools that are kind of a backup plan.

One of my applicants submitted an essay with Wharton stuff in the Berkeley application goals essay and ended up going to Wharton but did not get any traction with Berkeley.

I would just plan on submitting another application frankly. Hopefully one where you've already written some of the content and it wouldn't be a huge incremental effort. And also be around the same ranking as Oxford... so you're still spreading out the risk

https://mbaprepcoach.com
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2