Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 15:28 It is currently 03 May 2024, 15:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:UCLA, INSEAD
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.6 - Top public
WE 1: Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Re: How well known is INSEAD to employers in the US? [#permalink]
tan888 wrote:
Are many potential MBA employers in the US familiar with INSEAD?

It's really not well known. The school itself doesn't carry a lot of weight in the US. We're pretty US-centric society (pun on United states and us). I think people in the know of MBA programs rank it highly, but with all the top schools being in the US, non-MBA recruiters won't know who you are.

I'm on the west coast, which school brand means the least. Maybe a little stronger on the east coast.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Send PM
good to know...i want to apply here
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
AspiringSloanie wrote:
good to know...i want to apply here

do it ... I think INSEAD should give me some dough ... I have been responsible for at least a handful of addtl apps :lol:

In all seriousness, I am yet to meet anyone at INSEAD who had a less than stellar experience. It is one of a kinda, get way outside your comfort zone moment in your life.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
generally speaking INSEAD is less well than its equivalent calibre US schools and perhaps even less well known than US schools of arguably slightly lower calibre. I think INSEAD is aware of this and this will change as they have opened a marketing office in the US recently (I believe in New York).

Having said that, if you're concern is whether you can land a job in the US, it is definitely possible. If you read some student blogs from INSEAD you'll notice many of them get jobs in the US, an ex-colleague of mine who graduated in 09D and is headed to the states now for work. What is more of a concern is really your visa. US schools primarily consist of US citizens and hence have no visa troubles. If you are a INSEAD student chances are your an Indian, Brazilian, Portugese, Australian etc etc. so a) it might be more difficult for you to get a visa and hence b) you might be slightly less attractive to companies if they have to sponsor you, vs. hiring someone of equivalent calibre directly out of say Wharton for arguments sake.

But back to brand equity, I think with schools such as INSEAD, the people that matter will know it (ie. good organisations and desirable places to work). It shouldn't really matter if your mechanic or florist knows Harvard but not INSEAD, unless of course you intend to work for him/her :) Obviously this is my personal opinion, and people put different weighting on brand/reputation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
I am a French citizen with a Master of Science from Northwestern and I have been working for 6 1/2 years in the US.
I definitely agree with you about the US work visa process being a huge pain...
Besides that, you will need to argue the cost of it (H1B costs about $5000 for 6 years - 3 years renewable once).
You also have to convince a recruiter that you are here to stay...

yangsta8 wrote:
generally speaking INSEAD is less well than its equivalent calibre US schools and perhaps even less well known than US schools of arguably slightly lower calibre. I think INSEAD is aware of this and this will change as they have opened a marketing office in the US recently (I believe in New York).

Having said that, if you're concern is whether you can land a job in the US, it is definitely possible. If you read some student blogs from INSEAD you'll notice many of them get jobs in the US, an ex-colleague of mine who graduated in 09D and is headed to the states now for work. What is more of a concern is really your visa. US schools primarily consist of US citizens and hence have no visa troubles. If you are a INSEAD student chances are your an Indian, Brazilian, Portugese, Australian etc etc. so a) it might be more difficult for you to get a visa and hence b) you might be slightly less attractive to companies if they have to sponsor you, vs. hiring someone of equivalent calibre directly out of say Wharton for arguments sake.

But back to brand equity, I think with schools such as INSEAD, the people that matter will know it (ie. good organisations and desirable places to work). It shouldn't really matter if your mechanic or florist knows Harvard but not INSEAD, unless of course you intend to work for him/her :) Obviously this is my personal opinion, and people put different weighting on brand/reputation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Am an INSEAD alumni living on the east coast I have been very disappointed with the INSEAD brand value; I could not recommend the school. I was unable to get a single MBA level interview post INSEAD. The most common response from recruiters has been 'Instead what's that?' But more disturbingly those recruiters that recognized INSEAD held the brand in poor regard. 'We hired someone from that school in the past and it didn't work out'.

Also remember that INSEAD is a European 'for profit' school; would you buy an MBA from an American 'for profit' school such as the university of Phoenix?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Inseadsux wrote:
Am an INSEAD alumni living on the east coast I have been very disappointed with the INSEAD brand value; I could not recommend the school. I was unable to get a single MBA level interview post INSEAD. The most common response from recruiters has been 'Instead what's that?' But more disturbingly those recruiters that recognized INSEAD held the brand in poor regard. 'We hired someone from that school in the past and it didn't work out'.

Also remember that INSEAD is a European 'for profit' school; would you buy an MBA from an American 'for profit' school such as the university of Phoenix?

oof, sorry to hear about your experience.

to be fair though, if your goals lie in the US why would you go to INSEAD? the entire program is based upon international work and while the US is extremely international, you arent really going to need to be tri- or even bi-lingual to work there if you native language is english. INSEAD purposefully requires you to demonstrate language skills in order to graduate. i am sure the program is intensive, pushes you out of your comfort zone, and develops a ton of great leaders, many of which then work in europe or asia.

i speak chinese as a second language and have considered INSEAD because i have developed vested interests in asia, but i am still considering going to a US school because US brand recognition extends across the ocean whereas INSEAD's apparently is still trapped in smaller realms of influence. lots of US schools also have international opportunities and im leaning towards a two year program anyway, so INSEAD probably isnt the right fit for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for your commiserations. I did actually try and get a job in London first, before returning to the east coast. There is a common misconception that native English speakers that are fluent in other languages do well at INSEAD; this is not the case. I graduated with a native English speaking polyglot that also did not get a job. INSEAD is really an English as a second language school. Employers go there to recruit non native English speakers.

The program was a farce, just one long boring party.

From what I have seen INSEAD has little or no impact on many alumni's lives. INSEAD is a highly marketed product of questionable value; INSEAD is the Oxiclean of business schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Inseadsux wrote:
Thanks for your commiserations. I did actually try and get a job in London first, before returning to the east coast. There is a common misconception that native English speakers that are fluent in other languages do well at INSEAD; this is not the case. I graduated with a native English speaking polyglot that also did not get a job. INSEAD is really an English as a second language school. Employers go there to recruit non native English speakers.

The program was a farce, just one long boring party.

From what I have seen INSEAD has little or no impact on many alumni's lives. INSEAD is a highly marketed product of questionable value; INSEAD is the Oxiclean of business schools.

Yeesh, thats pretty damnable testimony. I want to hear a response from the school.

You've changed my attitude at least.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
At INSEAD all participants are placed in study groups for the first 4 months; each study group has one native English speaker. Given this model native English speakers are in a TA role at INSEAD.

I have recovered from the damage that INSEAD did to my career but others have not been so lucky. I am not able to post a link with my account but if you search quora you will see a more detailed review as the last post on the question:

Business School: Why did INSEAD fare so poorly in The Economist's MBA rankings?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just tracked down your response. I can throw it up on here if you want others to read it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes others should know what INSEAD is really like.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Send PM