Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 08:51 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Wharton Booth
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 Engineering
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance - investment management
 Q48  V45
WE 1: IT project management - major publishing company (2.5 years)
WE 2: IT consulting - top IT consulting firm (2.5 years)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:Wharton (ding), Kellogg (WL -ding), CBS (ding w/ int), Yale (int invite - ding), Anderson (in), Booth (int invite - ding)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink]
Kudos
powerka wrote:
Does anybody know if it is possible to choose the interviewer from different geographical locations? When/if the interview notification comes, I may be in Buenos Aires, or I may be in New York. I worry about my travel plans and my agenda.

Also, does anybody know what is the commitment deposit amount for RD? (I know its 6k for ED).

I can tell you about how I tried to find interviewers in different states around the US. I was in your same boat and was unsure about my travel plans. I did my first search query and the system outputted names of alumni. I did a second search query for a totally different location and more names were added to the list but the old names weren't deleted. I continued to search for alumni in potential places I would be in the next few weeks. After the system gave me 9 names in various locations, it wouldn't add additional names, even if I gave it a totally different location. So, when you do your search query for alumni, be aware that the system will only show 9 names and it won't delete the names that it's already shown you (even if you're not interested in them). Does that make sense? Luckily, things worked out for me so that I didn't have to call admissions office and ask them to reset my alumni searches.

Don't know about commitment deposit for RD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
thescientist wrote:
I can tell you about how I tried to find interviewers in different states around the US. I was in your same boat and was unsure about my travel plans. I did my first search query and the system outputted names of alumni. I did a second search query for a totally different location and more names were added to the list but the old names weren't deleted. I continued to search for alumni in potential places I would be in the next few weeks. After the system gave me 9 names in various locations, it wouldn't add additional names, even if I gave it a totally different location. So, when you do your search query for alumni, be aware that the system will only show 9 names and it won't delete the names that it's already shown you (even if you're not interested in them). Does that make sense? Luckily, things worked out for me so that I didn't have to call admissions office and ask them to reset my alumni searches.

Very useful info. Thanks a lot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
A question in CBS application which says have you ever spoken to a columbia representative or attended an information session. I have marked no. Is there anyone who got an admit with this answer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
This is not a significant question or anything, don't worry. There are plenty of candidates/admits who never visited CBS and/or were unable to attend an info session just for simple reason there was no info session in their area. Just be honest about what you write, that's good enough.

dollarstore wrote:
A question in CBS application which says have you ever spoken to a columbia representative or attended an information session. I have marked no. Is there anyone who got an admit with this answer?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I feel like CBS must read the apps in an order that is somewhat diff than just First In First Out. My thinking is since they get the bulk of their apps in the first few days of January, how could they already be past Jan 6th. If they are getting thousands of applications btwn jan1 - jan6 is it possible that they get through them that quickly, I don't think so. There must be some sort of filter, like Highest Gmat Scores first or specific ethnicities first, I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of statistical program which they used to determine which apps to read next to weight out the class... just my two cents... I applied on the 6th and have not heard anything yet..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GRE 1: Q46 V37
GPA: 3.14
WE:Architecture (Other)
Send PM
williamthesituation wrote:
I feel like CBS must read the apps in an order that is somewhat diff than just First In First Out. My thinking is since they get the bulk of their apps in the first few days of January, how could they already be past Jan 6th. If they are getting thousands of applications btwn jan1 - jan6 is it possible that they get through them that quickly, I don't think so. There must be some sort of filter, like Highest Gmat Scores first or specific ethnicities first, I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of statistical program which they used to determine which apps to read next to weight out the class... just my two cents... I applied on the 6th and have not heard anything yet..

I agree with you that there must be "a method to the madness." However, while I speculate that a person's GMAT score might be the reason why applications are initially (relative to submission) reviewed in a particular order, past that point I feel like some apps are under review longer because they are placed into pools of similar applications. In other words, even though Columbia is "rolling" admissions, I honestly don't believe the adcom's at Columbia review each case individually, but rather how the application is relative to others. Thus, depending on the pool an application is placed in, I speculate that as the adcom gets a better idea of the caliber of students who continue to apply, and the decreasing number of seats open, only then will a decision be made. In my case, because my stat's aren't "Wow!" I will more than likely wait longer for a decision (unless my app just sucks) because I'm on the bubble/low-end, and I assume a decision will be made after they receive the status of those who they gave invitations to prior.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
I just got an email from Columbia saying that my application status had changed. When I logged in, there was no change in the status! Did this happen to anyone else?
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I think once your application is submitted, it is categorized based on your nationality. So if you are Indian or Chinese, you are kinda screwed. But I dont think the apps are categorized based on GMAT score IMO.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
prakyrules wrote:
I think once your application is submitted, it is categorized based on your nationality. So if you are Indian or Chinese, you are kinda screwed. But I dont think the apps are categorized based on GMAT score IMO.

I might be missing something here but how exactly do they know what your nationality is? I don't think the application provided boxes for Indian, Chinese, etc. but only had one box for 'Asian'.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V38
Send PM
The personal info section asks for the country of primary citizenship.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
Kudos
I honestly doubt there is any transparent method to the madness. Nothing we're going to be able to perceive from the outside, anyway, with GMAT Club as a limited sample size.

For example, I have a high GMAT score, am a very non-traditional applicant, live in NYC, am female, have visited Columbia a couple of times, and attended prestigious undergrad. I even applied a couple of days early and went "Under Review" on 1/8. Any of those things, you might conjecture, could kick me to the front of the queue or into a certain bucket or however you want to phrase it. Fact is, I haven't heard a peep in weeks. So maybe that's it -- I'm not getting in at all, they've already made up their minds, they just want to torture me a while longer. Or maybe I am not thinking creatively enough and there is some other method of differentiation. Or maybe they've read my app and are arguing about it; or maybe they tossed it in the loo; or maybe someone spilled coffee on it and they have to reprint; or maybe they found out about that time I pocketed a scented bath bead from Pier 1 Imports when I was six; or maybe (probably!) there are already too many scifi nerds at Columbia and they just don't need another one; or maybe; or maybe; or maybe.

As long as it is fun to conjecture, carry on. But as soon as you start to find yourself freaking out, remember: this ish is crazy. There may be no rhyme or reason. There is a definite date by which we will all know. Until then: we wait.

Be easy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I think they do it based on the quotas they need to fill.... X amount of this Y amount of that and they read and make decisions on keeping that balanced. Otherwise it would be impossible to consistently have X% of each group year after year. I'm not sure being "different" really matters. I think everybody thinks they are different, unless you have literally done something that .0000000000000000001% of the population has(think parachute into a war zone and single handledly pull 1000 people out to safety) and it is positive, I think everybody including myself are much more similar than we think. Despite what all the admissions offices state, I think this is largely a numbers game. Theres really no other way it can be done, theres just too many applicants to really contemplate...
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Aenigma wrote:
As long as it is fun to conjecture, carry on. But as soon as you start to find yourself freaking out, remember: this ish is crazy. There may be no rhyme or reason. There is a definite date by which we will all know. Until then: we wait.

this is sound advice. remember, we're all in this together, so while it may be fun to conjecture as a means to pass the time, the downside is others might stop by, read our conjectures, and take them to heart thinking it is fact (when in reality none of us really knows how the adcom comes to their decisions).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Pls count me in. App. sumbit on 01/21. thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
anyone on ED deferral list got a decision yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Sloan (R1) - rej w/ int, Haas (R2) - rej w/ int, CBS (R2) - w/l with int, Ross (R2) - admitted, Wharton (R2) - rej
Send PM
does anyone know what the process is once you've completed your interview. does the interviewer submit a written or on-line form? thx.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
laxstar320 wrote:
does anyone know what the process is once you've completed your interview. does the interviewer submit a written or on-line form? thx.

I believe they do it via online form. When you get an interview invite, once you've set up your interview via email with an alum, you have to enter it in the system with the date & time, which sends the interviewer an email to a link to the feedback form.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49   50   51  ...  83