Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:NYU Stern '12
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Superhero- shhhhhh
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Phi Omega, Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Product Development, Marketing, General Management in High Tech, (New) Media, Computer Entertainment
Schools:Ross (CGSM), Maryland, Columbia, CGSM: Stern, Darden, Cornell
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.89
WE 1: Software/Product Dev (3 yrs)
WE 2: Patent Drafting/Prosecution (1 yr)
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello all,

Congratulations to all the Class of 2012 admitted students!

This is my first time posting in this thread, so for roll call purposes, here is my Stern application timeline:

1/5 - Applied R2 through CGSM (January 5th)
1/25 - Received invitation to interview
2/20 - Interviewed at Stern Perspectives weekend
3/5 - Received admissions decision via email (offered admission :-D) - email specified that any financial offers would be included in my official admissions packet
3/11 - Received admissions packet

I particularly wanted to post since I haven't seen anyone else say they received their admissions packet, so if you have been admitted and are waiting to see if Stern is making you a financial offer, the packet is on its way!

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:HBS, Booth, Stern, Kellogg
 Q42  V48
Send PM
Does anyone else think the interview is the make-or-break factor in NYU admissions? I mean, it seems your decision arrives within a certain window of time pending completion of your interview, so you aren't being compared to everyone in the applicant pool because interviews are still going out. Does that make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
chmny3 wrote:
Because summer start I believe is typically for people who either A) could benefit from the additional quant coursework (which is probably where I fall) or B) demonstrate strong leadership skills who I guess are being "groomed" to take on a more active role at Stern and beyond in their careers.

The consistent appearance of the "weak quant" claim really does a dis-service to summer start. I think it is more background based, and the leadership element is certainly true. I have been responsible for "short bus" comments myself, mostly directed as Solaris1 who was a summer starter himself (you have to know how to push people's buttons).

Look at the evidence of what Summer Start does. It has a Quant class and lots of leadership classes. The Quant class is the same Stats class as others take - all it does provide is that it is completed in advance of Accounting and Finance. This really plays to the unconventional background - it gives an assurance on the numbers to carry through to the classes. Hence there are a lot of Military and other non-math background folk in Summer Start.

The leadership side is the real powerhouse. I think the last five Presidents of the Student body have been Summer Start, alongside a huge volume of the committee.

The final bit it does is to free up a class each semester for recruiting and such involvements - for people making a large switch, this time to build contacts is very valuable.

Hey guys, first time long time. Was waitlisted earlier in R2 but got an invite to interview for Summer Start last Friday. Any idea on what the stats are for acceptances post Summer Start interview v the regular interview process, or is it about the same?

Also, once Summer Start ends, do they flow those students into other blocks, or do you remain in the "Summer Start" block for Fall and Spring?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
pudgethefish wrote:
Does anyone else think the interview is the make-or-break factor in NYU admissions? I mean, it seems your decision arrives within a certain window of time pending completion of your interview, so you aren't being compared to everyone in the applicant pool because interviews are still going out. Does that make sense?

Compared to most schools, I would maybe say the interview at Stern perhaps matters least. Or really, receiving an interview means the most at Stern. From what we can gather, they admit the highest proportion of interviewed students and take their sweet time getting around to handing them out. So I imagine that they are pretty confident in you, in comparison to the rest of the applicant pool, by the time you get there.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
The Summer Start kids get assigned to other blocks once the Fall semester kicks in. The network remains pretty strong though, and it's not uncommon to see study groups comprised entirely for Summer Start folks even in Spring.

avb212 wrote:
Also, once Summer Start ends, do they flow those students into other blocks, or do you remain in the "Summer Start" block for Fall and Spring?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
coakleym wrote:
pudgethefish wrote:
Does anyone else think the interview is the make-or-break factor in NYU admissions?

Compared to most schools, I would maybe say the interview at Stern perhaps matters least. Or really, receiving an interview means the most at Stern. From what we can gather, they admit the highest proportion of interviewed students and take their sweet time getting around to handing them out. So I imagine that they are pretty confident in you, in comparison to the rest of the applicant pool, by the time you get there.

I agree insofar as I think that Stern is pretty damn sure of you, yes, by the time they interview you. Otherwise they wouldn't invest their adcom's time into re-reviewing your application before the interview and asking incisive personalized questions. Or awesomely giving you a t-shirt.

That said, in a way it makes the interview that much more important, no? Because I think when they interview you they're practically ready to let you in. And the interview is probably partially a normalcy check but they also want to really see that you took the time to learn about the school and would be genuinely excited to attend if you got in. So I would guess that there are some really strong applicants who actually get dumped after the interview if they don't seem really interested in the program. And strong-but-perhaps-not-100%-have-to-have-them candidates who can't quite redeem themselves during the interview. If you otherwise do well "enough," you're probably in good shape.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Beware of making some absurd assumption that the interviews are a breeze. More than enough people blow up at that stage. It is from a different angle - do other schools interview people they are uncertain about just to see? In that case the interview takes a different format of you trying to prove your worth, rather than your worth being assessed. Look at the statistics on how many people get in before deciding that the interview is not important. It is - you cannot get in without passing it and being seen as a fit.

So, kind of like Aenigma says. More in Pebble's regard, the post-interview waitlist seems more active this year. People are definitely held up against what has been admitted and what is under consideration. The only people who can truly answer are those on the committee - it is simply a different way of doing things.

Also, remember that NYU is one of few schools where the vast majority (over 90%) of interviews are with AdCom members. That certainly makes a difference on the level of assessment that can be made.

As for Admit weekend - you don't have to attend, if you are deciding between schools it is more important. There are positives and negatives.

+ You might meet me
- You might meet Solaris1
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
B It is from a different angle - do other schools interview people they are uncertain about just to see? In that case the interview takes a different format of you trying to prove your worth, rather than your worth being assessed. Look at the statistics on how many people get in before deciding that the interview is not important.

Exactly my point. At Stern, based on the % of interviewed applicants that are in fact admitted, it appears you have less to gain from the interview but more to lose. At other schools, you have potentially more to gain but less to lose -- especially if you are being interviewed as a chance candidate. Again, based on the statistics, I would have to assume other schools are interviewing more chance candidates, as a percentage of the students they will eventually admit, than Stern.

Obviously, you should just be yourself and fully prepared to showcase why you would be a great fit for any school that interviews you. I wasn't saying that someone who gets interviewed at Stern should mail in the conversation and blow off the stakes.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
You graduated May of last year 3underscore, can you like get a life and go away already? :)

Since I'm going to be one of the folks organizing Pre-View Weekend (there, that was 3underscore gasping in disbelief), anyone attending is almost certainly going to meet me.

I'm usually pretty well-behaved and inconspicuous until about 7pm. All bets are off thereafter.

3underscore wrote:
As for Admit weekend - you don't have to attend, if you are deciding between schools it is more important. There are positives and negatives.

+ You might meet me
- You might meet Solaris1
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
If you are involved in arranging, you should get the calls out to Alumni sooner. I was asked by Admissions months ago to do the career forum and be a general irritant.

I think it is more to show the "good things can happen even when you end up on a plan B that you didn't have, because plan A was working out until crazy things happen" scenario.

If Solaris1 is involved in arranging, definitely attend. It should be entertaining at least.

PS - Soly - get me on the list for the drinks at the Penthouse plz.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Howdy everyone. Not a frequent poster but I'm currently on the waitlist w/no interview. Does anyone know historically when NYU might start sending out interviews for the wait list? I've also heard rd 2 applications are down accross the board for most of the top 20 B-schools, does anyone know if this is also the case for NYU?
Intern
Intern
Schools:Darden R1
Send PM
does any1 have ideas about the r3 iw invites and how many people does stern generally take in R3?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
dpak wrote:
does any1 have ideas about the r3 iw invites and how many people does stern generally take in R3?

Unfortunately noone outside of the people involved have those kind of numbers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Submitted 1/15 - R2....no communication as yet. Is there hope ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Schools:Haas (R1) HBS (R2) Yale SOM (R2) Tuck (R2)
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Kudos
I just stepped off a week long Caribbean cruise to a lovely admit email from Stern today! The email actually arrived on 3/10, I applied 1/15 and interviewed 3/4. Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance and Strategy
Schools:[color=red][CBS Class of 2013]
 Q37  V40 GMAT 2: 700  Q43  V44
GPA: 3.88
WE 1: 2 years investment banking (middle-market)
WE 2: 3.5 years transaction modeling / consulting (big 4)
Send PM
fongade wrote:
I submitted my application on 1/15. Took my GMAT on 1/12. Hence there is a slight delay with the review of my application. Got my official results end of Jan and yet got any reply from NYU. Anyone in the same boat as me?

I am in the same boat as you. I retook the GMAt after the 1/15 deadline on 1/27 and stern didnt get my official score report until 2/8 (although they said that the review would begin with the unofficial score...they just need the official score report before they give a decision.

Anyhow, I havent heard anything yet either.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

Question about the Summer Start Interview Day on 3/25: Anyone know if the mock class and round table are considered by the adcom in its decisions? Or is the adcom only concerned with the interview (i.e., the other activities are for the benefit of the applicants)?

My assumption is that only the interview counts -- seems to me that it would be difficult to track and incorporate feedback from other portions of the day -- but wanted to float the thought to others for feedback.

If no one knows, I'll call the admission's office to gather info and will post what I find.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  37   38   39   40   41   42   43  ...  54