Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:43 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [4]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: Significant others & b-school [#permalink]
Kudos
My fiancee is a 1st yr MBA student at a school in CA, and I am a 1st yr in New Haven. We are both so busy with our respective lives that in a way, we have yet to feel any negative effect of long distance relationship. (I traveled constantly for my job when I was working before bschool anyway...)

We call each other couple of times a day, and we are always communicating via email, text messages, Facebook, etc. We decided to pursue summer internship opportunities in NYC or SF only, so we can spend some time together during the summer.

If you have a significant other in bschool and you feel somewhat neglected, give him or her little break. You will find out soon enough but this bschool life has been exhausting and I feel like I need to clone myself few times in order to find some "me" time that I desperately need.

School work is definitely challenging, but at the same time rewarding. Interaction with recruiters, alumni, fellow students, professors, bartenders, nice homeless people of New Haven, crazy kids at Yale Law School, and others made me realize that people sure ARE DIFFERENT outside my hometown of NYC.....(so much nicer......)

But the main point is.....next year when you are in our shoes, you are gonna wish that YOUR significant other leaves you alone for awhile because there's too much happening around you and you need to fully immerse yourself into your bschool life because by choosing to go back to school, you have invested too much already...you need to do everything you can to get a return that's beyond your expectations...

So....please give your significant other (currently in bschool) some break....and send him or her some beer money.....it's VERY IMPORTANT...(beer is like currency in bschool) :|
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
nink wrote:
My fiancee is a 1st yr MBA student at a school in CA, and I am a 1st yr in New Haven. We are both so busy with our respective lives that in a way, we have yet to feel any negative effect of long distance relationship. (I traveled constantly for my job when I was working before bschool anyway...)

We call each other couple of times a day, and we are always communicating via email, text messages, Facebook, etc. We decided to pursue summer internship opportunities in NYC or SF only, so we can spend some time together during the summer.

If you have a significant other in bschool and you feel somewhat neglected, give him or her little break. You will find out soon enough but this bschool life has been exhausting and I feel like I need to clone myself few times in order to find some "me" time that I desperately need.

School work is definitely challenging, but at the same time rewarding. Interaction with recruiters, alumni, fellow students, professors, bartenders, nice homeless people of New Haven, crazy kids at Yale Law School, and others made me realize that people sure ARE DIFFERENT outside my hometown of NYC.....(so much nicer......)

But the main point is.....next year when you are in our shoes, you are gonna wish that YOUR significant other leaves you alone for awhile because there's too much happening around you and you need to fully immerse yourself into your bschool life because by choosing to go back to school, you have invested too much already...you need to do everything you can to get a return that's beyond your expectations...

So....please give your significant other (currently in bschool) some break....and send him or her some beer money.....it's VERY IMPORTANT...(beer is like currency in bschool) :|

This made me laugh and feel a lot better. I know he's busy and I am too with these applications driving me crazy, but us girls always still tend to wonder... :oops:

Thanks for the input
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
2012dreams wrote:
This made me laugh and feel a lot better. I know he's busy and I am too with these applications driving me crazy, but us girls always still tend to wonder... :oops:

You certainly don't go to business school to meet hot girls.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [2]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
3underscore wrote:

Indeed…it's probably the excessive amount of alcohol in my system (I swear, we drink more than the law students…they just get the recognition because they binge whiskey and etc, not beer)…but so far, I have not noticed the "HOT" girls on Yale campus… So far, to me, the "hot" girls are the girls in my study group or in class who were able to:

1) Build that fancy regression model in our statistics/econometrics class (with correlation of .866813) that was able to predict the price fluctuation in price of rubber
2) Write 32 page analysis on how the consolidation in the paper mill industry in Canada jacked up printing/manufacturing expense in US steadily since 2005
3) Notice the efficiency of my VBA codes (I almost had tears in my eyes) in the Excel macro model I built for our group in the management class that analyzed the success of various NFL stadiums in US in terms of revenue etc versus the effectiveness of various quantitative location analysis methods including Center of Gravity etc etc
4) Raised her hand to answer tough questions in class when the professor was looking my way and I was preoccupied with other activities (i.e. - passing notes throughout the room, texting, replying to a post in GMATClub forum etc) and saved my ass as a result...
5) Remember at bars that I only drink Heineken or Corona…nothing else
6) Study non-stop for 7 hours straight in the law library next to me to make me feel like a slacker, and as a result, I was able to stop procrastination….

So...yeah....Hot girls in bschools are not the same as they were in uhh...college :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think you should be looking to the undergrad student body (intended) still.

I distinctly recall female friends of mine (during their undergrad years) being very preoccupied finding out more about MBA guys whose paths they crossed.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Kudos
3underscore wrote:
2012dreams wrote:

Yeah, but you get a LOT of interaction in b-school. It's kinda like relationships that start at work. When you spend 16 hours a day hanging out with the same people, you tend to make connections pretty easily.

RF
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Kudos
re: significant others in b-school, i think it would be worth it to buy your sig. other a webcam (and one for yourself obviously) so you can chat face to face daily. that might help prevent any major disconnects while at school
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
simple solution for me...no matter where i go my gf's coming with me lol...
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
refurb wrote:

Yeah, but you get a LOT of interaction in b-school. It's kinda like relationships that start at work. When you spend 16 hours a day hanging out with the same people, you tend to make connections pretty easily.

RF

I wish your future partner well when you get an assistant.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Kudos
3underscore wrote:
refurb wrote:

RF

I wish your future partner well when you get an assistant.

I'm going to give you a pass on that comment because I assume you let your insecurities get the better of you.

I can only tell you what's going on around me. I already know of a few people who have broken up with their significant others since starting school and have started dating other people in their class.

It all depends on the relationship. Imagine going from talking to and seeing each other everyday to being lucky to get 5 min on the phone to talk to your significant other? There are people here who brought their partners with them and THEY are having trouble keeping them happy. It's no joke. Your lifestyle will take a 180 turn and not every relationship is strong enough survive it.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
It was just an off the cuff remark made in Jest, refurb.

I am well aware of how things work out, with two friends having broken up with significant others during first year now dating other friends from school (and from the same core group as well, which fits your rule well).

I do think that if the relationship is a good one, it will last fine. I have had friends with wives in other states do well, while people living with their partners have fallen apart. It is also true that the first semester is the toughest - I am sure my wife will agree, and the girlfriends of most my friends that were not part of the MBA program.

There is no insecurity - maybe you misunderstood but I have been through the whole two years of school maintaining a relationship with an outsider. Sometimes being in the same city is more a stress as it poses a difficulty to work closely with the school schedule, sometimes it offers security that it isn't out of sight, out of mind.

I suppose in part that I don’t feel it is too different from many MBA jobs – consultants are away a lot, Investment Bankers married to their job time-wise. If you are in a solid relationship it will survive this, if not it will likely fail and probably should because if not then, it likely will later.

I don’t agree at all about making excuses as to why the relationships end in the way that you allude, which seems to be making stronger bonds elsewhere or jealousy. Sure, I know a lot (if not the majority) of break-ups end with the person dating another in the program. There are tens of MBA weddings from each school every year, because the bonds are strong and time spent is extensive. A person can avoid this being an issue should the relationship matter enough, in my opinion. Maybe it involves walking away from situations when drinking (it probably does), but it is just a case of exercising choice and discretion.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
3underscore wrote:
It was just an off the cuff remark made in Jest, refurb.

I am well aware of how things work out, with two friends having broken up with significant others during first year now dating other friends from school (and from the same core group as well, which fits your rule well).

I do think that if the relationship is a good one, it will last fine. I have had friends with wives in other states do well, while people living with their partners have fallen apart. It is also true that the first semester is the toughest - I am sure my wife will agree, and the girlfriends of most my friends that were not part of the MBA program.

There is no insecurity - maybe you misunderstood but I have been through the whole two years of school maintaining a relationship with an outsider. Sometimes being in the same city is more a stress as it poses a difficulty to work closely with the school schedule, sometimes it offers security that it isn't out of sight, out of mind.

I suppose in part that I don’t feel it is too different from many MBA jobs – consultants are away a lot, Investment Bankers married to their job time-wise. If you are in a solid relationship it will survive this, if not it will likely fail and probably should because if not then, it likely will later.

I don’t agree at all about making excuses as to why the relationships end in the way that you allude, which seems to be making stronger bonds elsewhere or jealousy. Sure, I know a lot (if not the majority) of break-ups end with the person dating another in the program. There are tens of MBA weddings from each school every year, because the bonds are strong and time spent is extensive. A person can avoid this being an issue should the relationship matter enough, in my opinion. Maybe it involves walking away from situations when drinking (it probably does), but it is just a case of exercising choice and discretion.

Not sure I agree with you regarding BS vs work. In work hours are long, and yes you build relationships with co-workers, but there is nothing that incites you to interact socially, except Christmas and summer drinks (a London tradition, dunno if the NYC offices do it as much). In BS on the other hand, everything incites you to interact socially with your co-students, including the parties, the drinking, the dinners, the treks, the trips, etc. BS students have too much time on their hands for their own good, which tests relationships to the max. Plus work isn't always fun either, unlike BS. Relationships have a much harder time surviving all these elements than during work.

There is also the issue that BS really stretches the limits of what is considered normal - regarding spending money, going out, etc - and "outsiders" (I mean this in a completely non-pejorative way) have a hard time grasping this - which is completely understandable because a lot of things going on in BS are not normal.

I truly admire the fact that you kept a solid relationship during BS, well done. It takes a lot of judgement and discipline to do that. I smiled when you talked about walking away from potentially dangerous drinking situations; if everybody did that there would be a lot less broken couples :-) However,unfortunately you are one of the (very) few who has managed to do that, because of the reasons I mentioned above.

I do agree with you that the first semester is the most crucial - if you survive that relatively unscathed, there's a chance that you'll be fine.

As a more general remark, I don't want to be the negative guy here, but couples should never underestimate the strain that BS puts on a relationship. It is impossible to understand unless you have been through it. If you think your couple will survive the 2 years easy peasy, think again, because so did 95% of the couples who broke up after 3 months of BS. I only know one couple that survived the long distance relationship while being physically apart and not married (those 2 elements are from my experience a game changer), and that's because one is at Wharton while the other is at Harvard, so they understand what it takes.

Sorry for the negative post, but I just wanted to be sure that people realize how tough it is.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
well, i think my relationship bit the dust :cry: ...we still need to talk about a few things, but i guess i will be free to mingle uninhibited next year :banana
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:
well, i think my relationship bit the dust :cry: ...we still need to talk about a few things, but i guess i will be free to mingle uninhibited next year :banana

Congrats. It'll work out better for you this way anyhow. New beginnings :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:

freedom isn't a bad thing in bschool. Plus I'm sure wharton is a great fishing spot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
2012dreams wrote:

Um, I thought the only reason to go to grad school was to find a significant other? Oh wait, yeah, there's that learning and career thing too.

Sorry for your loss, but sounds like it's just in time for you. Free to mingle is a good thing.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
wharton is no fishing spot..we lack some serious talent!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2