Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 22:23 It is currently 22 May 2024, 22:23
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:Duke - Fuqua
 Q44  V38
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Engineering~Finance
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
Re: My Rough Start (A Tad Long) [#permalink]
good luck bro
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Navy
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE:Underwriter (Health Care)
Send PM
Vince,

Good luck man!!! I'm still studying as we speak. I'm taking a week off of work to finish up with the books. Did you do the OG problems in the end of each book, or did you wait until you finished the entire series? Also, what are you Q scores looking like on your practice tests? I'm with you, hoping that my verbal score will compensate for my quant. Keep us posted, and great job!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hey VinceCPA,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely using the assessment reports and an error log from MGMAT, after hearing about tracking my strengths and weaknesses. I'm on this road to studying for at least 100 hours by reading the MGMAT books a second time and doing more complex problems like you did. I'll definitely keep in touch if I have any questions. So how many hours have you used to study? Good luck!
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Well, my test is officially scheduled for this Friday. Since my brain has a tendency to slow down, if not shut off, in the afternoon I'll be taking it first thing. I am not looking forward to it as my scores on the MGMAT are all over the place. In the past 6 weeks I have scored as low as 630 and as high as 710 (I'm not counting the first 2 weeks of my 2 months of studying as those scores are not representative of reality at this point). The problem is that the scores are all over that 630 - 710 range (mean of 672, median of 670). I still have another GMAT prep to take, which I plan on attempting this Thursday morning.

It's funny, or not, that I scored quite high on my first MGMAT almost 6 weeks ago (710). Since then, I haven't done as well (last was a 670). I haven't taken the GMAT prep test in quite some time (last taken on 8/5/10 with a score of 590) so I'm hoping that I can turn around this sad trend. I only hope that I score well as I could use the ego boost. After that, I plan on taking it easy and resting my poor abused brain.

No matter what, I can always retake. Also, I have a good job, no real stress outside this test prep, and life is good. With that perspective, this test is only as stressful as I allow it to be.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VinceCPA wrote:
Well, my test is officially scheduled for this Friday. Since my brain has a tendency to slow down, if not shut off, in the afternoon I'll be taking it first thing. I am not looking forward to it as my scores on the MGMAT are all over the place. In the past 6 weeks I have scored as low as 630 and as high as 710 (I'm not counting the first 2 weeks of my 2 months of studying as those scores are not representative of reality at this point). The problem is that the scores are all over that 630 - 710 range (mean of 672, median of 670). I still have another GMAT prep to take, which I plan on attempting this Thursday morning.

It's funny, or not, that I scored quite high on my first MGMAT almost 6 weeks ago (710). Since then, I haven't done as well (last was a 670). I haven't taken the GMAT prep test in quite some time (last taken on 8/5/10 with a score of 590) so I'm hoping that I can turn around this sad trend. I only hope that I score well as I could use the ego boost. After that, I plan on taking it easy and resting my poor abused brain.

No matter what, I can always retake. Also, I have a good job, no real stress outside this test prep, and life is good. With that perspective, this test is only as stressful as I allow it to be.

Great and encouraging story thus far. My MGMAT books arrive today, my journey begins in a matter of hours. Good luck on your test, your words are much appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Good luck Vince. I'm pretty sure that you'll do well. If you don't hit 7+, like you said, you can always re-take.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Good luck for the final shot.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
I just finished with a 680 (Q44, V38). So I guess my score improved from 420 (first practice test in July) to 680. Right now I'm emotionally drained. I think it's good enough, with my other skills, to have a chance at a top 25, if not a top 15. We'll have to see. Debrief later.

Originally posted by VinceCPA on 01 Oct 2010, 11:30.
Last edited by VinceCPA on 01 Oct 2010, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
wow.. amazing journey man! Waiting for your debrief. Good luck with your apps. I believe with this score you'll definitely have very good chance in top25 colleges.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Great job Vince. I hope you're not disappointed or anything. That's a great score!!!

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Womiwom wrote:
Great job Vince. I hope you're not disappointed or anything. That's a great score!!!

hey how's your studying coming along man. I'm taking mine on the 23rd of this month!
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
WE 1: CPA &amp; CFE with 7 years of experience
Send PM
If anyone is interested in my final debrief, here is the link: after-a-rough-start-a-rough-finish-420-to-102037.html#p792152
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vwjetty wrote:
Womiwom wrote:

hey how's your studying coming along man. I'm taking mine on the 23rd of this month!

It's coming along. A little slower than what I would have liked, but I took off all next week to study. I'll update my post soon. Good luck when you take yours man! How have the practice scores been for you?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Womiwom wrote:
vwjetty wrote:
Womiwom wrote:

It's coming along. A little slower than what I would have liked, but I took off all next week to study. I'll update my post soon. Good luck when you take yours man! How have the practice scores been for you?

it's been pretty consistent 630-660 range. all fully timed with timed breaks with awa. so im feeling pretty good. been using kaplan more. I think they're better than MGMAT.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
WE 1: CPA &amp; CFE with 7 years of experience
Send PM
I just wanted to tie out this thread with a final update on this long journey that started in such a rough way. Over the past few months I was accepted into a few programs, but though I'd attend any of these schools, I wasn't super excited as none of my dream schools were showing interest. The safe schools filled their role as they were a safe bet for acceptance. Well imagine my surprise when I was contacted with my acceptance to Duke! So yeah, a rough start, a lot of time and money, and an acceptance into a top school. I'll take that! Good luck to everyone on their long journey.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderator:
Founder
37471 posts