Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:09 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:dont know yet
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
nattygas wrote:
BusyBee404 wrote:
Applied to diversity weekends at NYU, Michigan, Emory, and Duke. Attended Upclose @ Michigan last weekend (awesome!), attending Emory's diversity weekend in November. No word from Duke yet

I got into all events I applied to but only attending Rice and UT... I wanted to attend the Mich one but had a work dinner. Kind of wish I went now.

We have a huge Duke pipeline at my firm and they all speak highly of Duke

I went to Duke's Diversity Weekend back in 2007 and had a blast. Very down to earth students, hard working but also know how to have a good time. Not to mention the beautiful campus and the basketball.

The Washington Duke Inn is gorgeous. It made me think....hmm...I could get used to this...8-) I'll be applying Rd2

Oh, and I got into Tuck's Diversity Weekend, Cornell's Johnson Means Business, and it looks like Yale will be releasing decisions on October 22.

I'll also be in Georgetown on Nov 18 for "Experience Georgetown". I was going to register for their diversity workshop, but I just cant afford the time/$. Experience Georgetown is only 3 hours and they deduct $100 from the application fee if you attend.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
nefertiti wrote:
The Consortium does publish statistics on fellowships. If you are interested in a particular school, you can also see how many students received Consortium fellowships vs other merit based scholarships on the school's website. I am a Consortium student (Class 2012), and was able to read on past distribution of scholarships for many schools. You have to do some research but will find all the information you need. Keep in mind that, as already mentioned, overall fewer scholarships were awarded through CGSM last year.

Where is this info available?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Duke (r3), Vanderbilt (admit- Diversity Scholarship) R2 Consortium: Yale (ding), Emory (admit- CGSM fellowship), Michigan (admit), UT Austin (admit), Indiana (admit)
Send PM
nattygas wrote:
BusyBee404 wrote:
Applied to diversity weekends at NYU, Michigan, Emory, and Duke. Attended Upclose @ Michigan last weekend (awesome!), attending Emory's diversity weekend in November. No word from Duke yet

I got into all events I applied to but only attending Rice and UT... I wanted to attend the Mich one but had a work dinner. Kind of wish I went now.

Let me know how it goes at UT! I thought about applying to attend, but I know it'll be impossible to get the days off for both UT and Duke.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Duke (r3), Vanderbilt (admit- Diversity Scholarship) R2 Consortium: Yale (ding), Emory (admit- CGSM fellowship), Michigan (admit), UT Austin (admit), Indiana (admit)
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
nattygas wrote:
BusyBee404 wrote:

I went to Duke's Diversity Weekend back in 2007 and had a blast. Very down to earth students, hard working but also know how to have a good time. Not to mention the beautiful campus and the basketball.

The Washington Duke Inn is gorgeous. It made me think....hmm...I could get used to this...8-) I'll be applying Rd2

Oh, and I got into Tuck's Diversity Weekend, Cornell's Johnson Means Business, and it looks like Yale will be releasing decisions on October 22.

I'll also be in Georgetown on Nov 18 for "Experience Georgetown". I was going to register for their diversity workshop, but I just cant afford the time/$. Experience Georgetown is only 3 hours and they deduct $100 from the application fee if you attend.

Congrats on the invites to Tuck & Cornell! Hopefully attending these events will help as you navigate through the process of ranking the schools :wink: btw, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one struggling with the rankings lol. I feel like this could be make or break with some of the schools....
Director
Director
Send PM
Thanks Busybee!

Ok, so I've got a question for you guys.

The Consortium app has a question that asks "Are you of Hispanic or Latino descent?" I would check "Yes".

Then you scroll down to the next question and it asks for your Ethnicity. There is nothing there that I identify with, so what should I put? My parents came from Mexico, so should I check "Other" and then type in "Mexican"?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
Thanks Busybee!

The Consortium app has a question that asks "Are you of Hispanic or Latino descent?" I would check "Yes".

Then you scroll down to the next question and it asks for your Ethnicity. There is nothing there that I identify with, so what should I put? My parents came from Mexico, so should I check "Other" and then type in "Mexican"?

Same boat here. My birth certificate says "white" so I put "white". However, there are many "indians" in Mexico so you might be able to put "Indian". I come from the "Spanish influence" of Mexico so that's also why I put "white".
Director
Director
Send PM
Anyone hear back about Yale SOM explore diversity?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg, Ross, Stern-withdrew, Fuqua
Send PM
For those that plan on applying to Non-Consortium schools, come check out Kellogg's Minority Prospective Weekend!

Kellogg Preview!
Minority Prospective Student Weekend
November 5-6, 2010
The Kellogg School Office of Admissions, in partnership with the Africa Business Club (ABC), Black Management Association (BMA) and Hispanic Business Student Association (HBSA), are excited to host this annual event. We hope that you will join us for this special opportunity to learn about the
Kellogg School of Management’s Full-Time MBA programs.

REGISTER AT: https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pro ... vents.aspx

Please visit https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu for more information about the Kellogg Full-Time MBA Program.
For questions about this information session, contact us at 847.491.3308 or via e-mail at mbaevents@kellogg.northwestern.edu.

FULL-TIME MBA PROGRAM | REQUEST INFORMATION | UPCOMING EVENTS | APPLY

Kellogg School of Management | Northwestern University | Office of Admissions
Office of Admissions, Kellogg School of Management, 2001 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60201-2001
847.461.3308 | MBAadmissions@kellogg.northwwestern.edu
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
does anyone have any experience with the interview process?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
you have to schedule the interview yourself. the consortium should make a list available of all local CGSM alumni who you can choose, and you e-mail them asking them for a time when they're free. you DON'T necessarily have to choose an alum of the program/programs you are applying to (example: you are applying to NYU and Yale, but you choose to have your interview with an alum from Cornell - this is OK).

most schools will require only the 1 "general" interview. other schools will require you to have a 2nd, school specific interview; you should refer to the application / adcom from the specific school about this question.

the interview itself is fairly straightforward: tell me about your resume, why b-school, etc. make sure you pay attention to deadlines and get your general interview done as early as possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
Thanks Busybee!

This made me frustrated filling out the app last year. I really wish they would correct this. At first it was funny. When you're under pressure to finish the app on time, I don't want to have a debate in my head about how to "classify" myself, lol.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
For those applying to Tuck through the Consortium, did you opt to include a video as the answer to the supplementary essay? Just curious where folks went with this question.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
AlphaCityLC wrote:
For those applying to Tuck through the Consortium, did you opt to include a video as the answer to the supplementary essay? Just curious where folks went with this question.

I'm editing my video now. I filmed up at Tuck and let's just say I have a creative approach to the task.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
AlphaCityLC wrote:
does anyone have any experience with the interview process?

I just completed my consortium interview on monday...i looked at the very long list of potential interviewers and then tried to find people in my area, who went to one of the schools I am applying to. Then, I went on facebook, linkedin, etc. and tried to find out some more info about these specific people. I chose a person who I thought I could relate with most easily based on personality, interests, etc. Its always helpful to know what you're getting into. I sat researching people for several hours before I decided on one to request an interview with. It definitely helped.

As far as the interview, it was very standard, but my interviewer did mention that the consortium gives them little to no guidance regarding questions, etc. They are, however, required to ask about your commitment to the mission. The person only wanted to see my resume, no essays or any other documents. They also mentioned that after completing the interview to submit the email from the VIP section of the consortium page right away, because it often takes a long time to arrive.
VP
VP
Send PM
Do the core essays need to be different from the school essays? Do specific schools receive the core essays as well?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
lagomez wrote:
Do the core essays need to be different from the school essays? Do specific schools receive the core essays as well?

All schools receive the core essays and their school specific essay. They should be consistent together but the core should be generic to apply to any school.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Send PM
theoutlawfades wrote:
lagomez wrote:

All schools receive the core essays and their school specific essay. They should be consistent together but the core should be generic to apply to any school.

Posted from my mobile device

Okay, so I need to make sure not to use the same topic
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  132   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts