Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 04:54 It is currently 11 May 2024, 04:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [32]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622794 [12]
Given Kudos: 81832
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: If for any positive integer x, d[x] denotes its smallest odd [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
If for any positive integer x, d[x] denotes its smallest odd divisor and D[x] denotes its largest odd divisor, is x even?

First of all note that the smallest positive odd divisor of any positive integer is 1. Thus \(d[x]=1\) for any x.

(1) D[x] - d[x] = 0 --> \(D[x] - 1 = 0\) --> \(D[x] = 1\) --> x can be 1, so odd or \(2^n\), (2, 4, 8, ...), so even. Not sufficient.

(2) D[3x] = 3 --> again x can be 1, so odd, as the largest odd divisor of \(3x=3\) is 3 or x can be \(2^n\) (2, 4, 8, ...), so even, as the largest odd divisor of 3*2=6 or 2*4=12 is 3. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) From (1) and (2) we have that x can be either 1, so odd or 2^n, so even. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

Hello Bunuel, question mentions that x is positive integer but did not mention d[x] to be smallest positive odd divisor right?! how can you consider d[x] to be 1? I want to consider d[x] as negative of highest positive odd divisor!
However, answer to the question will remain the same E though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Bookmarks
nitinj025 wrote:
HI,
For the First Condition to Satisfy.
i)D[x]-d[x] =0 the value should be a prime number . Which, directly states that value is not even.
ii) D[3x] =1 the value can only be 1 for x. Which even states that the value is not even.
Please, Can you explain my doubt.
Regards,
NJ

Hi NJ,

1. D[x] - d[x] = 0 implies that the smallest odd divisor and largest odd divisor are the same. This divisor can also be 1. i.e. not even.
For x = 1, D[x] = 1 and d[x] = 1 => x is not even
For x = 2, D[x] = 1 and d[x] = 1 => x is even
Insufficient.

You have incorrectly read the statement 2 to be D[3x] = 1.
2. D[3x] = 3
For x = 1, D[3x] = 3, x is not even
For x = 2, D[3x] = 3 (because 3x = 6, factors of 6 = 1, 2, 3, 6 i.e. largest odd factor =3) i.e. x is even.
For x = 3, D[3x] = 9 (because 3x = 9, factors of 6 = 1, 3, 9 i.e. largest odd factor =9) - Not relevant as it does not satisfy D[3x] = 3.
Insufficient.

Together, based on statement 2, only possible values for x are 1 and 2.
x = 1, d[x] = 1, D[x] = 1, D[3x] = 3, x is odd
x = 2, d[x] = 1, D[x] = 1, D[3x] = 1, x is even
Therefore, together insufficient. i.e Answer is E.

Hope this helps.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16671 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

If for any positive integer x, d[x] denotes its smallest odd divisor and D[x] denotes its largest odd divisor, is x even?

(1) D[x] - d[x] = 0
(2) D[3x] = 3

There is one variable (x) and 2 more equations are given by the 2 conditions.
For condition 1, D[x]=d[x], the answer is 'yes' for x=1, but 'no' for x=2. This is insufficient.
For condition 2, D[3x]=3, this also gives 'yes' for x=1, but 'no' for x=2. This is insufficient.
Looking at them together, it still gives 'yes' for x=1, but 'no' for x=2. The answer is therefore (E).

For cases where we need 1 more equation, such as original conditions with “1 variable”, or “2 variables and 1 equation”, or “3 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 59 % chance that D is the answer, while A or B has 38% chance and C or E has 3% chance. Since D is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition. Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Bunuel, how can x be 2^n?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622794 [1]
Given Kudos: 81832
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mahrah wrote:
Bunuel, how can x be 2^n?

D[x] denotes the largest odd divisor of x. (1) says that D[x] = 1, so the the largest odd divisor of x. This means that x is some power of 2: 2^0 = 1, 2^1 = 2, 2^2 = 4, ... The largest, and the only, odd divisor of all of those numbers is 1.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93156 posts