Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 03:04 It is currently 04 May 2024, 03:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Finance; Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT Sloan Class of 2013
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink]
I contacted an alum in another city for interview. The alum replied me saying he could do phone interview or if I prefer to meet in person, he's also fine. He also said unless I have other business in the city, a phone interview will be sufficient.

I wonder if you guys have ever heard of phone interview for Booth? Will it be treated differently from face-to-face interview when reviewed by adcom? Do you guys recommend a phone interview or face-to-face one? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V36
Send PM
rickzeke wrote:
I contacted an alum in another city for interview. The alum replied me saying he could do phone interview or if I prefer to meet in person, he's also fine. He also said unless I have other business in the city, a phone interview will be sufficient.

I wonder if you guys have ever heard of phone interview for Booth? Will it be treated differently from face-to-face interview when reviewed by adcom? Do you guys recommend a phone interview or face-to-face one? Thanks.

I would do a face-to-face if it's not a huge hassle for you. Otherwise, call the admissions office and do a phone interview with them, I think it would be easier. Alum interview are often unpredictable and a phone interview with them will be even more so. I am no expert, but this would be my advice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
Always do face-to-face. Phone interviews are harder and make it much tougher to relate to the person on the other end.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks BruceLee and MBAgirl2010. I also prefer face-to-face interview. But the alum could only meet face-to-face on Nov 27/28. Will finishing the interview in such a late date create a negative impression to the adcom?

MBAgirl2010 wrote:
Always do face-to-face. Phone interviews are harder and make it much tougher to relate to the person on the other end.

BruceLee wrote:
rickzeke wrote:

I would do a face-to-face if it's not a huge hassle for you. Otherwise, call the admissions office and do a phone interview with them, I think it would be easier. Alum interview are often unpredictable and a phone interview with them will be even more so. I am no expert, but this would be my advice.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V36
Send PM
rickzeke wrote:
Thanks BruceLee and MBAgirl2010. I also prefer face-to-face interview. But the alum could only meet face-to-face on Nov 27/28. Will finishing the interview in such a late date create a negative impression to the adcom?

No, definitely not. You are overthinking this.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
rickzeke wrote:

This is a lazy alum and they shouldn't have volunteered. I'd call the school and ask them for a new interviewer if they arent willing to do in person. Frankly, part of the interview includes how you handle and present yourself.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Imagine most of you have seen but if there are any last minute people interested:

interview-crash-course-webinar-tues-nov-16-8pm-est-104569.html

I'll be covering general interview stuff as well as a specific Booth material.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
BruceLee wrote:
Booth believes in a discipline-based approach, saying that managing a business requires understanding all of it's disciplines, such as marketing, economics, statistics, etc. Doesn't that go against the flexibility? I would expect this from a school with a core curriculum. There are some requirements at the beginning but I still don't understand how these two concepts fit together. Any ideas?

This is a common misconception about the flexible curriculum. You can take the classes in any order than you wish and to a degree you can self select what level class you take (i.e., if you did a lot of accounting in undergrad, you can take financial statement analysis rather than the basic financial accounting class). However, you must take classes in all the core disciplines (technically I think it is 10 of the 11) to graduate from Booth.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [4]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey all,

I just finished my off-campus alumni interview this evening. My interviewer was very pleasant and the interview, quite conversational. The interview lasted an hour and was at a Starbucks. I've paraphrased some of the questions as I don't remember them verbatim.

1. Tell me about yourself.
2. So why're you seeking an MBA now?
3. Why Booth?
4. Talk about your leadership experience. What/who has influenced your leadership style?
5. Give an example of a leadership-based conflict.
6. What role do you take on in a team? How have you handled a team-based conflict? (Follow-up questions specific to my story)
7. Booth has classes that present different settings: group-based, individual, project-based. Which ones do you have a preference for? Why?
8. Which extracurricular activities are you looking to engage in at Booth?
9. Why would you choose Booth over other schools you might be considering?
10. Any questions (for the interviewer)?

Good luck, everyone!

Also posted here (#69): https://clearadmit.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... oInterview

(EDIT: Added details.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
all...need an opinion...

I took a continuing education course at Booth 3 years ago..Microeconomics...and scored a B+. The class was with the part-time/full-time students, through a graduate student at large program at the Uni of Chicago...

I am working on my R2 application, and I am wondering if I should include this grade or not... a B+ might not look too good...?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Concentration: Finance, Investments
GPA: 3.5+
Send PM
Kudos
Just had my interview on Sat. The interview, as so many have already said, was informal and conversational. It lasted exactly 30 min. The questions were standard.

Walk me through your resume (I think everyone gets that @ Booth)
Why MBA
Why now
Why Booth
What clubs do you plan to join
What classes do you want to take
Strengths/weaknesses

Good luck, everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Kudos

Originally posted by kate47 on 14 Nov 2010, 19:34.
Last edited by kate47 on 17 Feb 2011, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General
 Q48  V36 GMAT 2: 740  Q50  V41
WE 1: Manufacturing
WE 2: Analytics
Send PM
anyone i/ving at Booth on 20th ?? and do they have booth live and lunch with students on every sat??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1, Chicago R1, UCLA R1, Cornell R2
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
kt780 wrote:
anyone i/ving at Booth on 20th ?? and do they have booth live and lunch with students on every sat??

I'm interviewing on the 20th. I did get an email about having lunch with students around 12:30. Don't know about Booth live though...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford, Booth, Wharton, Harvard, Kellogg, Sloan
GPA: 3.68
WE 1: 2 Years Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
Had my alumni interview. Very pleasant and conversational. Did NOT follow the "resume walkthrough / why MBA / why now / why Booth" format I was expecting. Instead, was heavily behavioral based. 4-5 "Tell me about a time you..." questions. Not sure if my alum went rogue or whatever, but I think it underscores the importance of just knowing your story and being mentally prepared for anything.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview last night with an alumn.

It was very difficult. Differently from my interviews at CBS and Tuck, the interviewer was doing everything by the book, with a poker face on all the time and gave me no feedback whatsoever.
Excluding the small talk and the session when he opened for my questions about Booth, it lasted about 30 minutes, which was kind of short for me to cause an impact.
He only asked the usual resume/why mba/why now/why booth and was trying to discover any lacks of coherence in my answers.
I am now expecting a ding... I just really wish that you guys have better luck being assigned to your interviewer.
If I knew it would be this hard I think I would have flown to interview on-campus.

I am open to questions.

Best,
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
madmax wrote:
I had my interview last night with an alumn.

It was very difficult. Differently from my interviews at CBS and Tuck, the interviewer was doing everything by the book, with a poker face on all the time and gave me no feedback whatsoever.
Excluding the small talk and the session when he opened for my questions about Booth, it lasted about 30 minutes, which was kind of short for me to cause an impact.
He only asked the usual resume/why mba/why now/why booth and was trying to discover any lacks of coherence in my answers.
I am now expecting a ding... I just really wish that you guys have better luck being assigned to your interviewer.
If I knew it would be this hard I think I would have flown to interview on-campus.

I am open to questions.

Best,

Madmax, I think Rhyme said it perfectly during the webinar that we tend to be our own worst critics. Your interviewer may have left with a positive review.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  35   36   37   38   39  ...  185   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts