Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:54 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Re: Should I retake TOEFL iBT? [#permalink]
My break up is :

Reading 26
Listening 21
Speaking 26
Writing 27

I was told to reatake the test for my TOEFL Listening score :roll: .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
I see that your listening score is not very low as compared to the others.

Do you really want to get into this school? Then you must take it... but maybe it will be best if you took some time off and see how you can improve the listening score (i recommend you check out the teofl threads in this forum; you'll find many resources there).

Do you have a deadline?

Even if you don't want to get into this particularly school; maybe you should consider taking the toefl again for latter applications; it's quite possible to have problems again.

I don't know about this school, but I think that it's a good sign that you received feedback; you know what you have to do to improve your profile.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
I guess is kind of frustrating that this school is asking for a retake when you scored 100, and the schools is not a top-50.

Anyway, if you really want to attend this school then you don't have a choice.

I suggest you to prepare a bit more the exam (take a look in the stickies in the TOEFL subforum) and retake it again. It's likely that you will score +105 if you prepare a bit.

Good luck
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
heygirl wrote:
One of the Schools that I applied to has rejected me on the basis of my TOEFL iBT listening score and has asked me to take the test again and re-apply next term. I got a total of 100 on the iBT and I find it strange that this school mentioned this point! It is not a top 50 school and their GMAT requirement itself is just 550-600 for a sure admit. What should I do? I find it upsetting to take the TOEFL again. Last time, I took the test with a 2-3 day preparation.

Hi I am also an international applicant.

I would not apply to this school next term. I would find this a bit offensive, but nothing personal. By the way do they have a clear requirement on a web site what TOEFL score satisfy their requirements?
Do they have an average TOEFL score? Check this out.

Does +2 or+4 points really matter for them? did you have an interview with Adcoms? did they have a chance to make sure that you can understand what they said? I think yes. then what?!

Stanford's requirement is 100 points. The school has Stanford's requirement as for TOEFL, but do they provide the equivalent teaching and learning facilities? I tend to doubt about it.

If you really want to study in that school, call or write them and ask about taking the listening section only. I mean during the test just skip all the sections but listening. You will be fresh and will not spread your energy on other sections. you score will look like 0 26 0 0. You will prove them that your listenitng abilities are good.

Why I suggest that because during my last test I saw a girl who took only the speaking section and skipped all others. The proctor explained me that some universities want student's improvement only in a particular section.

Find out what are the school's TOEFL requirements and what is the average TOEFL score of admitted students, talk to some foreign students . Look for minimum requirement for subscores. If they do not have anything like that on their web site I would doubt whether to apply next term.

Ask them whether they can admit you with the condition that you will rise your Listenting score more than X.

lets us know what is the outcome and what is your decision.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Thanks for the replies.
ionutulescu, I have more than 2 months for the deadline and I am taking the GMAT in march. So, if I decide to re-apply to this school then I will take the TOEFL test after the GMAT.
rid82, exactly - its quite frustrating for me to take the TOEFL again. Especially, since my profile is exactly what they look for minus the GMAT(and that's why I'm taking that again!). But,I was totally shocked that they wanted to a better TOEFL listening score.. The school is a state school and is a known name in the NY area, that is all(no points for guessing the school :D)!
pkit, you have given me a great idea about retaking only the listening part. I shall find out if that is ok with the adcoms. Their wesbite says that 102 is the avg(so what about 100??). And, yes, if Iincrease m GMAT and TOEFL score,as listed in their denial letter, I stand a VERY good chance to be accepted. I'm going to write to the school this week and see what they have to say on this. I know that my GMAT was ridiculously low(490) but I'm also finding it offensive that the school did not care to look at the rest of my application(I think,I do have decent english skills...don't I?) and just went by cut-offs. I think this speaks volumes about the school that they are hell-bent on numbers.My application package is WAY beyond their accepted students,except my GMAT. And, they need 550 for their GMAT. I was expecting to get through that too,but did not happen because I have a lot of work experience, other activities, great GPA, an Engineering degree etc. I don't say all these things make me an awesome MBA material, its just that for the school that I applied too, I was well-above the rest(as per the statistics on their website and their current students)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
heygirl, as I understand it, the committee first checks your GPA+GMAT+Toefl to the extend whether you are in their range of interest. If you are not, you automatically drop out. Your grades and the rest are prerequisites, but not sth. which gives you a plus. If I would see your application(GMAT score), I would think that you just did not care about business school and thus did not prepare for the GMAT => drop out because it is indeed low.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
e1s, thanks for ur reply. I am going to have to work on TOEFL once I finish with the GMAT.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4387 posts