Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:22 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Got 580 in gmat today.. want to retake GMAT ..please advice [#permalink]
Thanks shovitdhar and mattapraveen for encouraging me

@ shovitdhar - I just read your story of 630 to 730, which is indeed an inspiration for me. I have already ordered Manhattan SC book and Power Score CR book on amazon. Till the time they deliver, i will start with "Aristotle RC99". Thanks again for your input.

@ mattapraveen - I referred OG 12 and GMAC's verbal and Quant book. One of my friend gave me Manhattan's SC book but its an old version and its references doesn't match with OG 12 , so though i went through the book , but i couldn't utilize it fully. I also referred gmatclub's flashcard for revising Quant score, i did little of AWA practice also. I wrote total of 4 essays and 4 arguments.
Thanks for your advise , i will take e-gmat's free trial for SC and have order PowerScore CR book , and manhattan's SC book . I hope that i'll be able to improve !!. Will keep you posted
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
gmat2011test1 wrote:
Thanks shovitdhar and mattapraveen for encouraging me

@ shovitdhar - I just read your story of 630 to 730, which is indeed an inspiration for me. I have already ordered Manhattan SC book and Power Score CR book on amazon. Till the time they deliver, i will start with "Aristotle RC99". Thanks again for your input.

@ mattapraveen - I referred OG 12 and GMAC's verbal and Quant book. One of my friend gave me Manhattan's SC book but its an old version and its references doesn't match with OG 12 , so though i went through the book , but i couldn't utilize it fully. I also referred gmatclub's flashcard for revising Quant score, i did little of AWA practice also. I wrote total of 4 essays and 4 arguments.
Thanks for your advise , i will take e-gmat's free trial for SC and have order PowerScore CR book , and manhattan's SC book . I hope that i'll be able to improve !!. Will keep you posted

Thats the way to go. You gotta defeat the beast. I am sure you will be able to get your target score. Take a break, you deserve one after one GMAT exam, and start off fresh.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hey, keep your head up. You rocked the Quant section!

Verbal is a tough one for all of us. Grab the ManhattanGMAT SC book and your Verbal score will jump up at least to a 30. SC is what saves your butt on verbal, every time I miss a CR question I get excited to see an SC question because I know it will bring me back up.

As mentioned in earlier posts, grab a CR book either MANHATTAN or POWERSCORE would both be beneficial. RC questions are usually similar to CR questions, so that should fall in place for you.

How did you prep for Quant?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey thanks for your advice menacel , I have already ordered for Manhattan SC and Powerscore CR book. So let's c how it goes.

I was never bad in Quant , though not very brilliant too. I did OG's math questions, but i didn't find them as tough as in gmatprep software. For my Quant practice, i used gmatprep software and tried to solve as many quant question from it, as i could. I retook both of the gmat practice tests several times to practice most of the question. I used GMAT club's flash cards for brushing up my quant knowledge.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Retail)
Send PM
Lucky you. I believe raising score in verbal is far easier than doing so in quant. Read voraciously and deeply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
3 days ago i took exam and got 590.my quant. was 41 and verbal 31.It was my first time and i spent really little time on preparation.actually i had never had any special problem related to verbal or math questions.i was really good at each section.but i had one big problem-time management!i couldn't manage my time each time while taking mock exams.i experienced the same scene each time-10 minutes left 15-16 questions still waiting to be answered :-D .and i had to guess cause leaving unanswered questions was worse.i hoped that i would do better with time in real exam but time problem hit me again in real exam and i made guess in last 10-15 questions in each section.now i think second time i can beat gmat cause i know my problem and how to overcome it!all in all b-school which i'm going apply to requires 550 gmat score.in this point of view not everything is too bad.but i'm not sure about my chance.how do you think.i this score will be enough for me?do i have a chance?or should i wait,tkae gmat again and apply next semester? :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey I retook gmat and scored 670 :). This time i practiced verbal a lot and scored 69 percentile in verbal :). Thank you guys for all the motivation that you provided :). It really helped me
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I scored a 580 on December and just took the test yesterday and scored a 710! It's possible.

However, for me, I decided to put a lot of work. I read all of the Manhattan Guides, went through the OG, error log... I studied for 3-4 months.

My target are the top 10 schools, so I wanted a 700+. If you think you can improve without going throught fundamentals, it might be good for you to re-take in 1 month.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats gmat700hope on your success. you will surely make into a top B-school.

I have little different situation. I am on H4 visa in USA so I am not working now and worst I can't work on H4 visa in USA. Though I have 4+ years of experience in IT.
I wanted to start my studies in this year only. I know if I will do little more preparation then I may get a better score , but I can't wait for one more year doing nothing. So I have taken admission in Santa Clara university - accelerated MBA program with my 670 score. I hope that I took the right decision.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts