Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:45 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GRE 1: Q780 V540
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink]
The sc grail book is quite concise and is of high quality. But the question bank is poorly written. I did just 25 questions, and now I release I m just wasting my time. Some of the questions were very good- good traps inside- but many of them were of poor quality.

If you google any of its question, you would find the sentence is a part of an or the news. I think the author took some random sentences and created 4 incorrect ones.

:thumbdown: Sc question bank
:thumbup: Sc grail book
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
After reading a lot of good reviews I thought of getting my hands on ...so here is my 2 cents on the book so far -

1- Very concise, crisp and to the point guide!
2- Basically a spin-off of Wren and Martin with some tailoring to suit for GMAT! (Just few days back I went over Wren & Martin for jogging my basics so can say this good confidence)
3- Miscellaneous error at the end of the guide is quite useful (and good review material before you take on the test)
4- Idiom part is very comprehensive and backed up by examples.
5- I see many asking whether one should go for this if one has already MGMAT SC guide- to me it makes a lot of sense to keep both of these (both of these books are in different league- I would start with Aristole SC Grail then move to MGMAT SC)

Few not so good points about this is- not too many quality practice Q's ( but hey I got many other sources for that, to me it is not an issue at all), I find some examples given with minor mistakes (do not remember exactly the page number but it was regarding use of one-another/each-other and 1-2 more places but all these were easily identifiable one's )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Appears to be a primer for the GMAT SC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
Appears to be a primer for the GMAT SC.

Well IMHO that would be an understatement by any standard!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Is there a similar review of their CR set? I was planning to try some of their CRs this weekend; are they any good? I could not find any reviews or "relevant" discussions regarding their CR set here; sorry if this has been discussed. I only found this aristotle-cr-prep-questions-what-you-think-of-them-105809.html but I could not ascertain anything from this thread. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi All,

I am stugling big time with SC.I already have Manhattan SC with me.But i am looking for some additional resource to improve my SC skills.I found SC grail has got great reviews and i have also seen GMATCLUB Ultimate SC is also considered good.Can you please tell among the two which one would be best to go with...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
This book works as an excellent supplement with MGMAT SC book. It has helped me a lot to improve my SC scores in practice tests so far.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Since there are a couple of threads on this I'll post the same question here:

Anybody knows if there is a difference between 2nd and 3rd Edition of SC Grail? And is it possible to purchase a pdf version of the 3rd Edition? I am from far away and shipping it would be quite costly. Thanks for help.

I would also like to hear about Aristotle CR Book?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
obs23 wrote:

Anybody knows if there is a difference between 2nd and 3rd Edition of SC Grail? And is it possible to purchase a pdf version of the 3rd Edition? I am from far away and shipping it would be quite costly. Thanks for help.

Thanks in advance!

I'm using the 3rd edition so don't have much idea about how different it is than the 2nd edition but you can read the difference between the two editions on the link below.. and what do you mean by "far away" ? :-D

https://www.aristotleprep.com/products/# ... d=15531382
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
obs23 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I've gone through the CR book. I found it to be very good. It provides a nice framework of attacking the questions. Also, the 100 questions that come along with grail are pretty decent.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
As might have been mentioned already, the third edition is available in hardcopy. Plus, there are 125 practice questions now. I haven't practiced with verbal questions since studying for the GMAT a few years ago, so my ability to evaluate the quality of Aristotle's SC question bank is limited. But it seemed okay. The book cover and pages are of good quality, and I liked the organization and presentation of the concepts.

This is a nice product, but SC preparation usually requires lots of proper question practice and re-reading of the guidebook(s).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Aristotle SC Grail, where is the PDF, Free is admirable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
puneetpratik wrote:
THE THING I AM APPRECIATING MOST ABOUT SC GRAIL IS THE IDIOM LIST. THE LIST IS DETAILED AND FULL OF EXAMPLES.

Actually is it really required to mug up the entire list? Seems really too much work. In fact, I came across a 100+ page book on Idioms alone, from Magoosh. While I appreciate the comprehensiveness, I am really worried how much studying needs to be done....100+ pages on one chapter alone in Sentence correction...and there are many other chapters...and then there is CR and RC...and the entire maths..
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Kudos
sukanyar wrote:
puneetpratik wrote:
THE THING I AM APPRECIATING MOST ABOUT SC GRAIL IS THE IDIOM LIST. THE LIST IS DETAILED AND FULL OF EXAMPLES.

Actually is it really required to mug up the entire list? Seems really too much work. In fact, I came across a 100+ page book on Idioms alone, from Magoosh. While I appreciate the comprehensiveness, I am really worried how much studying needs to be done....100+ pages on one chapter alone in Sentence correction...and there are many other chapters...and then there is CR and RC...and the entire maths..

Nope you dont need to memorize it, we use them in our conversation every day. Just go through them.

In mgmat book they have mentioned few idioms that appear frequently.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4