Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:13 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1401 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 05-31-2024
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1401 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 05-31-2024
Send PM
Re: Defaulting western economy-Impact on B-schools. [#permalink]
mojorising800 wrote:
mbasile wrote:
Since the government doesn't offer grants and scholarships to graduate students like it does for undergraduates, I don't think there will be much of an impact. For undergrads, cuts in government spending will result in higher tuition and there will be fewer spots---increased competition.

If you're asking how the debt crisis and an almost certain downgrade of US treasury bonds will affect the schools themselves--nobody can say because the US has never been downgraded. As Mohamed El-Erian put it, we would be in the land of uncertainty. However, I would venture to guess that a downgrade from AAA to AA would cause a spike in interest rates (~50-100 basis points) and people, corporations, organizations, and institutions like universities can lose a lot of paper wealth. Hence, I can see a downgrade indirectly affecting university research, rankings, and admissions by diminishing the value of university endowments.

Will the default not affect the economy in a similar way the 2008 recession did? Will it not affect the companies recruiting patterns considering their business in the US might be affected?
I mean since the 2008 recession did not affect the Univ grants etc (At least i think it did not,please correct me if i am wrong) , the downturn still affected companies' recruiting patterns around the world.So many views for this post and ust one reply.Am i just being paranoid or people do not know how will it affect everyone?

If you want just one reply, this is what will happen:

The US will not default. Republicans and Democrats will strike a deal in the next 30 hours and we will avoid default. There will be no recession comparable to the financial crisis of 2008. However, US debentures will be downgraded from AAA to AA. The rise in interest rates will be minor but, would slow down the economic recovery. I don't think we would see huge changes in hiring trends.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
mojorising800 wrote:
With the Western economy facing one of its toughest times , what is the impact going to be on the B-schools in those regions.US and Europe have the best B-schools in the world and surely there must be some impact.
Can the experts please shed some light on this issue. :shock:

I am not an expert on impacts of crises on b-schools. However, I have witnessed first hand how the most profound crisis in modern financial history influenced my school. From the admissions point of view, the number of applicants to Wharton in exploded, and competition intensified a whole lot. From the academic point of view, the school was quick to react and introduced new courses focused on the crisis, then it went on to overhaul the curriculum. Result: it is still a very cool school, and it is still hard to get in. :wink:
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
All said and done. US should be in a good place by 2014 right? Right?
GMAT Club Bot