Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 19:02 It is currently 06 May 2024, 19:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Torn Between Career Paths, Long Thread But PLEASE Help! [#permalink]
mrblack wrote:
So you don't want to do banking, PE, accounting, F500, or consulting. What else is left? Startups? Burger joint? Only you know what's best for you.

I stated that because I didn't really like M&A modeling so i-banking doesn't really make sense, and I have been a bit disappointed with my FP&A work because it's too backwards-looking. I stated that consulting was by far my top choice, albeit slightly unrealistic since I'm at a non-target and that I'm interested in jobs that rely more on strategy/big picture thinking versus modeling/accounting all the time.

Moderator edit: calling names is not nice.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
You're going to have a hard time getting a brand management job without prior relevant work experience or a degree in marketing. Consulting is more forgiving in terms of what majors they'll accept into their practice. If you don't think you have a shot at MBB, there are plenty of other consulting firms that aren't as focused on target schools, or you could try finding a more regional or boutique firm to get your foot in the door of the industry. Do well there, and you could leverage that experience if your ultimate goal is MBB. Of course, consulting tends to have long, unpredictable hours so you'll need to decide whether you're willing to deal with that to be a consultant.
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
You are still very young. Only advice that would be relevant to you at this stage,since you are unsure of your inclinations, is to develop 'options value' . In other words, consulting with MBB will give you the best outlook on what career could suit your personality later in the future.

Dont ostracize certain careers like banking altogether. I say this because I was in your shoes a couple of years back. But I had pigenholed myself in a career that I hated. I decided to break out and try my hand at many different aspects of running a business, becoming an entreprenuer.

I, too, though I would choose to become a consultant because of the variety of work and diversity in assignments etc. But after quite a bit of research I realised that getting into I-banking and then into the VC/ PE maybe the most satisfying career I could develop since it suits my persoanlities much more than consulting would.

To sum it all up, I would say analyse your personality and the good and the bad of the career you are considering. Then, make sure you choose a career where there is a minimal compromise ( nobody can have a 100% satisfying job, since all jobs have some aspects that are annoying to various people to various degrees) The trick lies in choosing a job that is 60% enjoyable in the short run and has the potential to be atleast 90% fulfilling in the long run.

Good luck.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93060 posts
GMAT Tutor
1904 posts