Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 17:11 It is currently 03 May 2024, 17:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1456 [21]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6818 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6818 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 382 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Some of the students enrolled at college T are part-time [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
There is no information about increase/decrease of part time students in either statement so my pick is E , let me know what is OA.

if you pick numbers lets say in 99

FullTime=700
partTime=300

in 2000

FullTime=750
partTime=300 (stays the same since 5% increase is all counted in Full Time students )

scenario 2

in 99
FullTime =1300
PartTime=700
in 2000
FullTime=1350
Partime=750

% increase of fulltime students gives different answer for both the scenarios and hence my answer is E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 976 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Some of the students enrolled at college T are part-time [#permalink]
Some of the students enrolled at college T are part-time students and the rest are full-time. By what percent did the number of full-time students enrolled at college T increase from fall of 1999 to the fall of 2000?

1) There were 50 more full-time students enrolled at college T in the fall of 2000 than in the fall of 1999.
2) The total number of students enrolled at college T increased by 5 percent from the fall of 1999 to the fall of 2000.

Image:
Attachment:
GPrep_Full_time_students.jpg
GPrep_Full_time_students.jpg [ 70.77 KiB | Viewed 23109 times ]

Originally posted by DeeptiM on 10 Sep 2011, 05:15.
Last edited by fluke on 11 Sep 2011, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
OA corrected.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Re: Gprep - Fulltime students!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
vinayaerostar wrote:
Answer E

Answer should be E, and if you want to find the% increase of some thing then in that case we need to have to 2 data available.
1. Change( which is thr in 1 part)
2. original value or the value of fall 1999

so only one information is available so answer is E.

hope it helps
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4705 [4]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Re: Gprep - Fulltime students!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
DeeptiM wrote:
Some of the students enrolled at college T are part-time students and the rest are full-time. By what percent did the number of full-time students enrolled at college T increase from fall of 1999 to the fall of 2000?

1) There were 50 more full-time students enrolled at college T in the fall of 2000 than in the fall of 1999.
2) The total number of students enrolled at college T increased by 5 percent from the fall of 1999 to the fall of 2000.

CASE 1:
Total StudentsFull-time studentsPart-time Students
Fall 19991001090
Fall 20001056045
% Change5% increase50 more students, a 500% increaseNot Required

CASE 2:
Total StudentsFull-time studentsPart-time Students
Fall 19991002575
Fall 20001057530
% Change5% increase50 more students, a 200% increaseNot Required

Not Sufficient.

Ans: "E"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 590 [0]
Given Kudos: 196
Send PM
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

(1)

insufficient

(2)
no differentiation between part-time and full-time students
insufficient

(together)
we still don't know anything about the # of part-time students, which is an essential contributor to the 5% increase mentioned in statement (2)
examples:
- if there are 0 part-time students in both years, then the # of full-time students has increased by 5%
- if the # of full-time students has increased from 0 to 50 but the # of part-time students has remained constant at 1000 (so that 50 is 5 percent of the enrollment), then the # of full-time students has grown by infinity%
...and anything in between

answer = E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma, Bunuel, chetan2u
I did understood the solution and agree that answer should be E, but I also fall into trap of choosing B in the first go.
Could you please explain how to answer this question algebraically without taking numbers?
I am just not able to understand whats wrong with the approach of taking initial values to be X+Y and final values 1.05(X+Y)!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
Hello Moderators,
any update on this one?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3380 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
(1)
no indication of the size of the student body
insufficient

(2)
no differentiation between part-time and full-time students
insufficient

(together)
we still don't know anything about the # of part-time students, which is an essential contributor to the 5% increase mentioned in statement (2)
examples:
- if there are 0 part-time students in both years, then the # of full-time students has increased by 5%
- if the # of full-time students has increased from 0 to 50 but the # of part-time students has remained constant at 1000 (so that 50 is 5 percent of the enrollment), then the # of full-time students has grown by infinity%
...and anything in between

answer = e
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 263
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Sn: the new number of full time students.
So : the old number of full time students

The question is asking for Z as
Z = ( Sn - So) / So

=> Sn - So = 50
We dont know So value so we cannot calculate Z.
Insuff.

=> We have no clue whether an increase in the number of total student corellates with a rise in the number of full time students or not.
Insuff.
So E is the answer.

Posted from my mobile device
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1241 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Some of the students enrolled at college T are part-time [#permalink]