Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 14:15 It is currently 05 May 2024, 14:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:Operations (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Sad story, but hoping for a rise of the fallen [#permalink]
Kudos
* Hey Fallen *,

Hey you have just not fallen but fell all over to the TEST-DAY Trap. I know I am in similar situation many times, easily frustrated and end up venting out the scapegoat who ever comes across me first that day, let it be milkman , a co passenger on the road , sub junior in the office or whosoever. Most of the time its my beautiful brainy wife with lots of endurance ( Poor soul , she takes it hard on her for a whole day, She is a banker and I attribute her endurance to it. )

The common observation is that in sheer annoyance causing traumatic anxiety surrounded by dark clouds of frustration with its factious fragrance , we tend to show it on our utmost loved ones and in the end calm down ourselves. I showed it on my wife and you showed it on your love ( The Gmat ) ! I do not think there is something severely lacking or any ambiguous concepts after your preparation I am sure you complemented the concepts with toads of gmat like practice. But what about your endurance levels ? Did you check your stamina and endurance with lots of practice tests under sheer gmat like conditions. May be 6 Manhattan Cat's and 2 Gmat prep tests are more than enough for most of the folks to improve their focus and make them ready for the D-day. They all are mere souls, but people like you and me are special ! End of the day we need more of everything ;) May be we need 10's of practice tests to increase our immutability.

Yes lets achieve a state of " Immutability - the quality of not being alterable ! " Its not like we need it just for the test but lifelong such as our careers post mba and balancing personal life and work evenly all the way throughout the life ! Life has a meaning and much more than a mere failure here and there ! Why do most successful MBA Grads end up single or get divorced , if not mess up their profession ? Why do most Gmat Takers end up relieved when see their expected score and express a sigh of relief ! They take up Gmat rather heavily bringing a toll on other aspects of life, they are unable to balance many things. they end up prioritizing one thing and completely ignoring the other facet of Life.

GMAT is more like a Motherly Love .It teaches the endurance at an early phase perhaps. May be that is why we end up 4-5 hours in Testing Environment on the D-Day ! Hate it to get hated. Give love to get back more Love ;) So rather approach Gmat with a passion to break the jinx , with a strong hold of mental strength to trash the first or yet another challenge that comes your way. Stand there , give your best shot , keep yourself motivated, reinforce your attitude with complete iron and freshness. Go , take the test whatever happens , let a truck beep you throughout the test, do not care . Focus on the task at end ! This is possible only if you have an utmost passion and willingness to face any Challenge !

Few thing you may try :

1. Immediately as soon as you are done with a break , focus your mind and take a Knewton / Mgmat or any other free test which you have not taken before and make sure your scores are not inflated. See the score you get. If it is still 700 plus or near your target score, we can reconfirm your concepts are right and you got what it takes !

2. Practice more tests not merely for the sake of reviewing and projecting a score near to the actual D-Day score but to increase your endurance. Practice in public areas like " not a so quite coffee shop " , " a friend's room facing the road with lots of Traffic ", and any other thing that is sure to keep you deviated and frustrated.

3. An regular morning exercise, let it be for 10 -15 min alone , a casual walk round the trees with your partner , a jog around the lake or a track or a ground , or some physical exercise. It not only keeps you fit but heals your mind and keeps it afresh throughout the day

4. Make sure you pile up 2-3 cans of chilled energy drinks in your locker and use them in breaks during the test day ( Practice days and the actual day ).

5. Meditation helps a great deal but try it at least for 5-10 min after your most strenuous periods in a day. May be after a long day of work , when you get back home mentally and physically tired , meditate or calm down yourself for 10 min before you can do any other activity, or even before you enter the rest room ;)

I just cant say more. You are already spirited enough to retake it next time and confident to crack it ! you got the spirits , you got the concepts, that is the reason i mentioned " you got what it takes ". Just tackle and tweak your endurance levels to the max possible extent mate.

Kudos for your confidence even after getting crushed and sustaining minor injuries ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks a lot talk2vj and hoogly for your responses. Your posts really motivated me to keep fighting. I am sure, if I can manage to get a good score in my retake, it will boost my self-confidence for ever. Right now I am feeling pity for myself, and hope I can feel good for myself in the end.

talk2vj,
Sorry to hear your story about not being able to make your dream come true. Wish you a good luck for your future endeavor man. I read your detailed debrief, and I must say it was very useful. I learnt a lot about how can I make my GMAT prep strategy even better. I will work hard to increase my endurance and accuracy by following some of your guidelines. Thanks so much.

hoogly,
I must say you have a great writing skill. Thanks for spending your precious time for writing such an inspirational post. I will take your advice and try to give my practice tests in tough conditions - starbucks, in a park besides a road, and so-on. Hope this will improve my endurance. I had given my practice tests in calm atmosphere, and, as a result, I could not handle the tough conditions during the test.

Could somebody please also respond to one my questions in regard to how top schools treat low scores: What would schools (top 5s) think of my 590, even if I managed to score close to 750 in second attempt? If they are going to look at my 590 and bias their opinion against me, then what's the point of giving GMAT again and wasting my time? I really wanted to start my MBA next year; I have stellar academics and great recos with 5 yrs work-ex lined up. But, NOW I AM DOOMED and feel hopeless!

Thanks everybody. I owe you guys for the support.
Intern
Intern
Status:"You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 2: 570 GMAT 3: 620  Q47  V28
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
I am in the same boat as you with a score of 620 (Q47, V28). This was my 4th time taking the test and I have never scored so low in verbal before. >.< throughout my practice I had consistently scored around the 690-740 (v37-45) range. I was really surprised and disappointed because I studied so hard in verbal going through RC99, manhattan SC guide, aristole SC, OG SC(5x), and so much more. The questions that I was running across, when taking the verbal, were moderately difficult but not 400 level difficult o.O...i mean i scored lower in verbal than when i took the test the first time with barely any preparation...omg
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Don't be discouraged. GMAT is just playing hard to get ;)

Never give up... I personally had to try three times before I nailed her :D

All the best...

It is possible to complete 4 applications in a month or two, but things are gonna be very tight!

very very tight :p

But it is possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
don't give up.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 567 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
fallen wrote:
Could somebody please also respond to one my questions in regard to how top schools treat low scores: What would schools (top 5s) think of my 590, even if I managed to score close to 750 in second attempt? If they are going to look at my 590 and bias their opinion against me, then what's the point of giving GMAT again and wasting my time? I really wanted to start my MBA next year; I have stellar academics and great recos with 5 yrs work-ex lined up. But, NOW I AM DOOMED and feel hopeless!

Hi Fallen ,
I'm in the same boat as you are . Managed a verbal 32 ( my practice scores were never less than 45). Was deeply dejected, sad but then asked my myself.." will I be happy without an MBA in my life"? Immediately decided a re-take , but this time need a solid strategy..

Not sure if you have seen this article;;

https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... orrection/

Coming back to your question; If anything the Bschools will take your effort ( in case u manage a 700+ from 590) in a very positive way . I have spoken to many Bschool admission personnel and all of them are unanimous in their opinion that raising a score to 700+ from low 600's is very well appreicated . This effort is better appreciated than getting a 780 after scoring a 750 earlier. In the end , the fact is Bschools need to have a high Average GMAT score to maintain their competitiveness in the market. So the more you get the better they feel :)

Just go and kill her ..All the best bro !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
sudhir18n wrote:
fallen wrote:

Hi Fallen ,
I'm in the same boat as you are . Managed a verbal 32 ( my practice scores were never less than 45). Was deeply dejected, sad but then asked my myself.." will I be happy without an MBA in my life"? Immediately decided a re-take , but this time need a solid strategy..

Thanks man! This is so motivating. I loved how you said "this time need a solid strategy". Makes me feel... yeah that's the attitude I should have. If you are at a state to share your high-level retake strategy, I would love get some insight.

sudhir18n wrote:
Not sure if you have seen this article;;

<MGMAT SC BLOG POST>

This is awesome! No more stupid idioms :). As long as we know know the rules of grammar and how they can change the meaning, we should be able to tackle these SCs. Just need to tailor our strategies accordingly. Thanks for sharing.

sudhir18n wrote:
Coming back to your question; If anything the Bschools will take your effort ( in case u manage a 700+ from 590) in a very positive way . I have spoken to many Bschool admission personnel and all of them are unanimous in their opinion that raising a score to 700+ from low 600's is very well appreicated . This effort is better appreciated than getting a 780 after scoring a 750 earlier. In the end , the fact is Bschools need to have a high Average GMAT score to maintain their competitiveness in the market. So the more you get the better they feel :)

Just go and kill her ..All the best bro !!

Wow! Good to learn that BSchools take this as a positive reinforcement. I will do everything I can to get past 760 - I need to get very very comfortable to with verbal and that's it. I guess if I can pull it off in 1-1.5 months, I hope this will overshadow my miserable 590. Thanks buddy for chiming in. Good luck to you - lets kill her together :).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Best of luck fallen for your 2nd attempt...and Sudhir I am really sorry to hear about you...you were hitting 800s towards the end of your prep...do you mind telling your overall score?

BTW I am also sailing in the same boat...I scored 610 on my first attempt although I was averaging 680-690. I am also planning to take a second attempt.

BR
Mandeep
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37388 posts