Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619059 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [2]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Re: Patrick is cleaning his house in anticipation of the arrival of guests [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Patrick is cleaning his house in anticipation of the arrival of guests. He needs to vacuum the floors, fold the laundry, and put away the dishes after the dishwasher completes its cycle. If the dishwasher is currently running and has 55 minutes remaining in its cycle, can Patrick complete all of the tasks before his guests arrive in exactly 1 hour?

First we need to understand what is the flow of work for Patrick.

Vacuum the floors, fold the laundry (Note: this part has no dependency on whether dishwater completes or not. These are independent task)
After the dishwasher completes -> put away the dishes (This task is dependent and logical from daily life perspective)

(1) Vacuuming the floors and folding the laundry will take Patrick 36 minutes.

While the dishwasher is running (for 55 minutes), Patrick can complete "vacuuming the floors and folding the laundry" in 36 minutes.
Now he has to wait for Dishwasher to complete because third task "put away the dishes" is dependent on it.
After the Dishwasher is done (Note: we are already done with vacuum & laundry in those 55 minutes), we have to "put away the dishes".
But, we don't know how long it takes to "put away the dishes". If it takes 5 minutes then "Yes" task can be done in 60 minutes. If it take more than 5 minutes then task cannot be complete in 60 minutes.

Not sufficient.

(2) Putting away the dishes will take Patrick 7 minutes.

Here we are only given the time for "puttying away the dishes" = 7 minutes.
We have already waited for 55 minutes for the Dishwasher to complete. (Note: The tasks are dependent).
So, in total Patrick will take 55 minutes (for the dishwasher to complete) + 7 minutes (putting away the dishes) = 55 + 7 = 62 minutes.

Hence, without knowing how much time Patrick takes for vacuum & laundry, we can clearly state from statement 2 that Patrick takes more than 60 minutes to complete all work.

Can Patrick complete all of the tasks before his guests arrive in exactly 1 hour? Answer: No.

Sufficient.

Answer: (B).
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16842 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Re: Patrick is cleaning his house in anticipation of the arrival of guests [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

Solution

Given:
    • Patrick is cleaning the house in anticipation of guests’ arrival
    • Jobs to do – vacuum the floors, fold the laundry, put away dishes after the dishwasher completes its cycle
    • Dishwasher needs 55 minutes more to complete

To find:
    • Can Patrick complete all the tasks in exactly 1 hour?

Analysing Statement 1
    • As per the information present in Statement 1, vacuuming the floors and folding the laundry will take 36 minutes
      o This statement does not give us any information about the time taken to put away the dishes
    • Therefore, we cannot conclude whether Patrick can complete all the tasks in exactly 1 hour or not
Hence, statement 1 is not sufficient to answer

Analysing Statement 2
    • As per the information present in Statement 2, putting away the dishes will take 7 minutes
      o As the dishwasher is taking 55 minutes more, the total time taken = 55 + 7 = 62 minutes
    • 62 minutes are more than 1 hour; therefore, Patrick cannot complete all the tasks in exactly 1 hour
Hence, statement 2 is sufficient to answer

Hence, the correct answer is option B.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I got answer as option B and all the above explanation also show that but OA says D.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619059 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
push12345 wrote:
Bunuel
Could you check OA of this question again

I also think answer should be B

Posted from my mobile device

Yes. The OA is D. Edited. Thank you.

Patrick is cleaning his house in anticipation of the arrival of guests. He needs to vacuum the floors, fold the laundry, and put away the dishes after the dishwasher completes its cycle. If the dishwasher is currently running and has 55 minutes remaining in its cycle, can Patrick complete all of the tasks before his guests arrive in exactly 1 hour?

(1) Vacuuming the floors and folding the laundry will take Patrick 36 minutes.
(2) Putting away the dishes will take Patrick 7 minutes.

(1) Don't know how much time is needed to put away dishes. Not sufficient
(2) If dishwasher will stop after 55 min and 7 min is needed to put away dishes 55+7=62>60, so Patrick won't complete all of the tasks before his guests arrive in exactly 1 hour. Sufficient

Answer: B
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts