Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 03:06 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GMAT 2: 200 Q1 V1
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Plagarism or inspiration? [#permalink]
Quote:
I would be curious to see whether the questions to the RC passages were of any account, since those might represent some original thought. (Are the Quant questions just as bad as the plagiarized CR examples from earlier in the thread? You know, instead of 16, the number is changed to 32 or some such, or "Mike" becomes "Ike"?)

In a completely unexpected turn of events, GMAT Whiz honored my request for a refund and limited my account shortly after I posted on the forum about the passages.
On a completely unrelated note, a free mock test in included as part of their trial and you can consistently get:
: https://imgur.com/a/WjC6aAT
I wasn't kidding about analyzing 6 passages and finding 6 copies.

If you have a few minutes to spare, why not experience the thrill-ride yourself? Witness the inconsistency in option formatting, the aggressive thesaurus-heavily paraphrasing and the handwavy question analysis.

Thankfully, I have already notarized printouts of the plagiarized passages and sent them to the parties involved.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [0]
Re: Plagarism or inspiration? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ekuseru wrote:
Quote:
I would be curious to see whether the questions to the RC passages were of any account, since those might represent some original thought. (Are the Quant questions just as bad as the plagiarized CR examples from earlier in the thread? You know, instead of 16, the number is changed to 32 or some such, or "Mike" becomes "Ike"?)

In a completely unexpected turn of events, GMAT Whiz honored my request for a refund and limited my account shortly after I posted on the forum about the passages.
On a completely unrelated note, a free mock test in included as part of their trial and you can consistently get:
: https://imgur.com/a/WjC6aAT
I wasn't kidding about analyzing 6 passages and finding 6 copies.

If you have a few minutes to spare, why not experience the thrill-ride yourself? Witness the inconsistency in option formatting, the aggressive thesaurus-heavily paraphrasing and the handwavy question analysis.

Thankfully, I have already notarized printouts of the plagiarized passages and sent them to the parties involved.

Wow, ekuseru, you have taken a big step to act on your convictions. After that feeling I got just looking at the passages from your earlier posts, I do not think I have it in me to experience the thrill-ride you mentioned. The one RC question I did glimpse in the image you linked to does not resemble what I would expect to see on the GMAT™. I guess I should not be too surprised. At least you got a refund.

Good luck, going forward.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Plagarism or inspiration? [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
Wow, ekuseru, you have taken a big step to act on your convictions. After that feeling I got just looking at the passages from your earlier posts, I do not think I have it in me to experience the thrill-ride you mentioned. The one RC question I did glimpse in the image you linked to does not resemble what I would expect to see on the GMAT™. I guess I should not be too surprised. At least you got a refund.

Good luck, going forward.

- Andrew

From my exchange with GMAT Whiz, it appears that their CPO is laboring under the misguided assumption that I'm trying to cheat them out of their money. They seem to be more concerned about the course fee than the proven failings in their product. I heard more from them about how I should have talked to them earlier about their (allegedly) plagiarized passages, derivative questions, buggy UI, etc. in private and during my studies. It's also worth noting that they've not mentioned any corrective action moving forward, probably because they have conveniently shifted the blame to me for not doing the legwork for them (the good old help us help you angle). I must have missed their marketing message about how students pay to receive the privilege of beta-testing their unpolished product.

Just to shift the focus back to discussion on plagiarism and other dishonest practices, I thought the best move would be to put my money where my mouth is. I don't have high hopes that The Atlantic (amongst many others) will bother with the process of litigation against a company based across the globe, especially considering how weak IP laws are in India, but engendering a productive conversation on this issue is a worthy outcome nevertheless.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [0]
Expert Reply
ekuseru wrote:
From my exchange with GMAT Whiz, it appears that their CPO is laboring under the misguided assumption that I'm trying to cheat them out of their money. They seem to be more concerned about the course fee than the proven failings in their product. I heard more from them about how I should have talked to them earlier about their (allegedly) plagiarized passages, derivative questions, buggy UI, etc. in private and during my studies. It's also worth noting that they've not mentioned any corrective action moving forward, probably because they have conveniently shifted the blame to me for not doing the legwork for them (the good old help us help you angle). I must have missed their marketing message about how students pay to receive the privilege of beta-testing their unpolished product.

Just to shift the focus back to discussion on plagiarism and other dishonest practices, I thought the best move would be to put my money where my mouth is. I don't have high hopes that The Atlantic (amongst many others) will bother with the process of litigation against a company based across the globe, especially considering how weak IP laws are in India, but engendering a productive conversation on this issue is a worthy outcome nevertheless.

The first reaction to a non-physical challenge is typically one of anger, followed by denial. It is unfair that you are being made to feel as though you have done something wrong. In academia, this sort of blatant plagiarism would likely result in the dismissal of a professor. (A school would not want to be disgraced. They are all advertising their product, after all, via their professors.)

I checked the company website recently to look into the diagnostic you mentioned, just to see if there was one posted somewhere. (I think you have to create an account to gain access. Needless to say, I left the site.) I thought I remembered a company address that was based in the US, so I checked the site again. Yes, at the bottom of the page, "Our Address" is listed as a suite in a Delaware, USA, office building. The plot thickens...

My belief is that an excellent tutor or prep company does not need to build a reputation on how much better he, she, or it may be than others in the industry. This is not to say that every party that engages in such marketing is of low quality, just that my view is that a polished product or service tends to sell itself. If the marketing arm was more focused on what would make clients happier and better prepared than on selling the idea that its product or service was better than what others offered, the industry would look quite different, and consumers would benefit the most.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
The first reaction to a non-physical challenge is typically one of anger, followed by denial. It is unfair that you are being made to feel as though you have done something wrong. In academia, this sort of blatant plagiarism would likely result in the dismissal of a professor. (A school would not want to be disgraced. They are all advertising their product, after all, via their professors.)

I just find it amusing that their tone alternated between cordial and accusative in between emails. Going to take a lot more than what they've got to gaslight me.

AndrewN wrote:
I checked the company website recently to look into the diagnostic you mentioned, just to see if there was one posted somewhere. (I think you have to create an account to gain access. Needless to say, I left the site.) I thought I remembered a company address that was based in the US, so I checked the site again. Yes, at the bottom of the page, "Our Address" is listed as a suite in a Delaware, USA, office building. The plot thickens...

It's quite common practice to incorporate a shell company in the US for legitimacy. Anytime Mailbox lists that address as a mailbox that anyone can rent for about 100 bucks a year. If I had to guess, most of their employees work remotely from all around India.

AndrewN wrote:
My belief is that an excellent tutor or prep company does not need to build a reputation on how much better he, she, or it may be than others in the industry. This is not to say that every party that engages in such marketing is of low quality, just that my view is that a polished product or service tends to sell itself. If the marketing arm was more focused on what would make clients happier and better prepared than on selling the idea that its product or service was better than what others offered, the industry would look quite different, and consumers would benefit the most.

Full disclosure: I used to work closely with a psychoanalyst to develop algorithms to generate marketing copies that exploit common mental weaknesses in individual consumers so I'm a bit more cynical than the layperson.

In the short term, it's not cost-efficient to run a marketing campaign that centers the well-being of your clients. Most of the time you'll get more bang for your marketing buck by shoving limited-time discounts down the collective throats of consumers. The GMAT prep industry doesn't seem to rely heavily on repeat customers so the worst that can possibly happen is the occasional bad review.

With that being said, it's heartening to see that most tutors and prep companies are in it for the long haul. Brand building activities seem to incorporate benign principles of persuasion and directly benefit students.

My opinions on marketing aside, is there a good way to address this issue? I can't expect the site to cut off a source of revenue by denouncing bad actors at a moment's notice. Prep companies seem to play nice with each other so I don't foresee comparative advertising coming into play, although it would be hilarious if someone ran a banner ad with Ian's "2000+ questions that are worse versions of ones you already own!" as the tagline. Student reviews suffer from a distinct survivorship bias, and it's unreasonable to expect students to police their mentors.

It's unfortunate that the industry is unregulated to such an extent that charlatans can run around shilling their snake oil through shell companies. My heart goes out to all the good guys who actually care about their students.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
ekuseru wrote:

Quote:
I don't have high hopes that The Atlantic (amongst many others) will bother with the process of litigation against a company based across the globe, especially considering how weak IP laws are in India, but engendering a productive conversation on this issue is a worthy outcome nevertheless.

Did you hear from any of the involved parties? What did they say?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A few of the parties replied with some generic "we'll look into it" message. Nothing concrete yet.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3