Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [11]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-15-2013
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink]
Kudos
MonsGM wrote:
I agree with the less optimistic view. I cannot help but feel that Stanford is about to cause me some emotional pain, but this is how I'm coping (this is a venting post).

I thought I had a solid profile, particularly fitted for GSB, and would be able to have a choice between HBS (further consideration) & Stanford (nothing yet). This has not only been humbling, but also enlightening and will probably be a positive experience afterwards. As rejection piles up, stress and expectation lowers. Each time it becomes clearer to me, that partially I was just trying to get a star on my forehead that said "well done chap, you got in, you are part of the club".
Each failure is a remainder that I have to keep fighting and that no matter where I get in or what I do, it is still all about me. It is still about my choices in life, my capabilities, and my determination to achieve anything I want, that have led me to where I am right now... so I am less worried about some admissions committee finding me fit or not for their program.

And I will not deny that there is a certain childish anger along with the disappointment, but anger is positive if you know how to canalize it. For me it is particularly useful as motivation, and I am driven to prove them wrong, and I will do it for me. It is getting easier for me to get detached from these "big names" and focus on the goal rather than the means.

This might not have been very coherent or helpful, but at least I feel better now!

Regards everyone and the best of luck! If they don't choose us, then let's prove them why they should have!

This is exactly how you should look at this. Right on. Too many people in these forums are dying to get brand names, stars, or wtv you call on their resumes. Reality is this does not mean much. It helps but it is definitely not the reason of success. Look at video interviews from GSB alums who have started their companies and you will see how they mention that the MBA helped but was not needed to reach their goals.

I got rejected from HBS and took it very lightly. I have an interview at MIT Sloan and am quite excited about it, but I do realize that it may not work out, there are no guarantees in life. Expectations are low for GSB, we'll see. Anyhow, point is - you choose some schools, you apply (I specifically chose these 3 and no other), and you see what happens.

A lot of people on this forum worry about very minute details/trends/etc that only increase stress levels and worry. Everyone here needs to eliminate noise and focus on what is right for them.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [6]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
MonsGM wrote:
I agree with the less optimistic view. I cannot help but feel that Stanford is about to cause me some emotional pain, but this is how I'm coping (this is a venting post).

I thought I had a solid profile, particularly fitted for GSB, and would be able to have a choice between HBS (further consideration) & Stanford (nothing yet). This has not only been humbling, but also enlightening and will probably be a positive experience afterwards. As rejection piles up, stress and expectation lowers. Each time it becomes clearer to me, that partially I was just trying to get a star on my forehead that said "well done chap, you got in, you are part of the club".
Each failure is a remainder that I have to keep fighting and that no matter where I get in or what I do, it is still all about me. It is still about my choices in life, my capabilities, and my determination to achieve anything I want, that have led me to where I am right now... so I am less worried about some admissions committee finding me fit or not for their program.

And I will not deny that there is a certain childish anger along with the disappointment, but anger is positive if you know how to canalize it. For me it is particularly useful as motivation, and I am driven to prove them wrong, and I will do it for me. It is getting easier for me to get detached from these "big names" and focus on the goal rather than the means.

This might not have been very coherent or helpful, but at least I feel better now!

Regards everyone and the best of luck! If they don't choose us, then let's prove them why they should have!

Same here, thought I was a great fit for Stanford. Also same here, I'm going to do great things whether or not I go to business school. In many ways the whole business school process corrupted the purity of my conviction that I can and will achieve huge, positive, impactful things. I spent 5-6 months doing GMAT/application stuff, which derailed a lot of the momentum I had in major projects I was working on in my free time - a startup, non-profit work, writing, music. Then I tied a lot of my self-worth to acceptances/denials. I have never wanted to let authority or brand define me, but that's what I've been doing. That's not truly who I am.

So yes, I'm pretty resigned to not going to business school, but overall it has been a positive experience. I really did clarify what I want to do with my life through the application process. Stanford's core essay, in particular, helped me clarify my life's strongest conviction. I'll live it whether or not I go to the GSB.

At the same time, it would be nice :)
But there are pros and cons to every situation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.94
WE:Business Development (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Just got an interview invite! 10:30am PST, investment banking/corporate strategy in the Pacific NW.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Send PM
meg926an wrote:
Just got an interview invite! 10:30am PST, investment banking/corporate strategy in the Pacific NW.

Way to go! Also, it's nice to see they are still trickling out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
meg926an wrote:

Congrats!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [6]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone - I received in interview invite today around 10:00 am PST. I had pretty much given up hope, so I was pleasantly surprised. I'm in PE and located in the Western U.S. I've been following this thread closely and have enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Thank you to everyone and good luck with whatever life has in store for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [5]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.82
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Is it a bad idea to call the admissions office and suggest they forgot to send my invitation?

8-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
D4VE wrote:
Is it a bad idea to call the admissions office and suggest they forgot to send my invitation?

8-)

While you're at it can you remind them they forgot mine, too?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kitkat6 wrote:
D4VE wrote:

8-)

While you're at it can you remind them they forgot mine, too?

mine as well, thanks :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q170 V166
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
meg926an wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for giving the rest of us some hope. We're all rooting for you now!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Surprisingly quite. :) Good luck to all those invited. Looks like I just have to do some more waiting till mid December for admission results for my other programs of interest. Take care!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Guys, does that mean there is nothing left for stanford? Shall we give up or shall we hold on until 26th?

Also, anyone from APAC got an interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
It's now 5pm PST...

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by seamlessftw on 19 Nov 2013, 17:55.
Last edited by seamlessftw on 25 Nov 2013, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Stanford, here I leave!
It was not a pleasant journey, but definitely a journey to remember.
Good luck to those who got an invite.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GPA: 3.84
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
marphoro wrote:
NXHIPOPOTAM wrote:
maubisse wrote:
Did anyone from Eastern Europe get an invite? A few pages back no one said they did, but maybe someone got one in the mean time?

Hi

Did not get an invite unfortunatley :( I know few people from EE who applied but no one got an interview... I lost hope and start my applications to other schools :)

Nope, nothing here as well. Hope they keep us for dessert :)

So did anyone from Eastern Europe get an invite before yesterday?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
As anybody from france, spain, portugal, italy or england received an invitation?
thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.3
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Quote:

So did anyone from Eastern Europe get an invite before yesterday?

Not me. Also - no one from the people I know got an invite.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts