Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619030 [16]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29930 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers such that x > y > 1 and z=x/y, which [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Since we're given some solid restrictions on what x and y could be, picking numbers is a quick and easy strategy.

x>y>1, and x and y are integers. Let's try x=3 and y=2. So z=x/y = 3/2

Looking at statements I and II, we can see that they are mutually exclusive. z cannot be both > and < a number at the same time. So right away, we know that either I or II must be true, but never both. So B is out.

Now, using our numbers for x and y, we can set up a little chart to see what happens when we add or subtract 1 from the numerator and denominator.

x-----y-----z-----(x+1)/(y+1)-----(x-1)/(y-1)
3-----2----3/2--------4/3--------------2/1
------------------------<z---------------->z

We can see that when 1 is added to the numerator and denominator, the value decreases, and when it is subtracted, the value increases.

Looking at the statements then, we can see that II and III are true, and I is not.

Answer: C

Now, in general, it is good to know what happens to fractions when you add or subtract a constant from both the numerator and denominator. As long as we're dealing with positive numbers, adding a constant on top and bottom of a fraction will cause the value of the fraction to move closer to 1, and subtracting a constant from the top and bottom a fraction will cause the value of the fraction to get farther from 1. Notice I didn't say increase or decrease, because that will depend on whether the fraction is greater than or less than 1.

Examples:
\(\frac{20-10}{100-10} < \frac{20}{100} < \frac{20+100}{100+100}\)

\(\frac{50+50}{10+50}< \frac{50}{10} < \frac{50-5}{10-5}\)

So in general:

If x>y --> \(\frac{x+a}{y+a} < \frac{x}{y} < \frac{x-a}{y-a}\)

And if x<y --> \(\frac{x-a}{y-a} < \frac{x}{y} < \frac{x+a}{y+a}\)

In our case, x>y, so adding a constant will decrease the fraction (statement III) and subtracting a constant will increase the fraction (statement II).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1155 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GPA: 3.68
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers such that x > y > 1 and z=x/y, which [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If x and y are positive integers such that x > y > 1 and z=x/y, which of the following must be true?

I. z > (x − 1)/(y − 1)
II. z < (x − 1)/(y − 1)
III. z > (x + 1)/(y + 1)

A. I​ only
B. I and II​
C. II and III
D. II only
E. I​ and III

Hi,

lets see the choices

I. \(z > \frac{(x − 1)}{(y − 1)}\)
z=x/y
so \(\frac{x}{y} >\frac{(x-1)}{(y-1)}\)....\(\frac{x}{y} -\frac{(x-1)}{(y-1)}>0\).....\(\frac{(xy-x-xy+y)}{y*(y-1)}>0\)..
we know y>1 so y*(y-1)>0...so xy-x-xy+y>0
OR y>x
NEVER true

II. \(z < \frac{(x − 1)}{(y − 1)}\)..
\(z=\frac{x}{y}\)..
so \(\frac{x}{y} <\frac{(x-1)}{(y-1)}\).....\(\frac{x}{y} -\frac{(x-1)}{(y-1)}<0\).....\(\frac{(xy-x-xy+y)}{y*(y-1)}<0\)..
we know y>1 so y*(y-1)>0...so xy-x-xy+y<0
OR y<x
Always TRUE

III. \(z > \frac{(x + 1)}{(y + 1)}\)
z=x/y
so \(\frac{x}{y} >\frac{(x+1)}{(y+1)}\).....\(\frac{x}{y} -\frac{(x+1)}{(y+1)}>0\).....\(\frac{(xy+x-xy-y)}{y*(y+1)}>0\)..
we know y>1 so y*(y+1)>0...so xy+x-xy-y>0
OR x>y
Always TRUE

II and III are true
ans C

i don't understand how 3 one has become true. i used plunging method. i found 3 one is wrong. kindly, make me clear and tell me where make mistake. thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5909
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Johnson '21
Send PM
selim wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If x and y are positive integers such that x > y > 1 and z=x/y, which of the following must be true?

i don't understand how 3 one has become true. i used plunging method. i found 3 one is wrong. kindly, make me clear and tell me where make mistake. thanks.

When you plug in number, make sure x > y.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

I. z > (x − 1)/(y − 1)
II. z < (x − 1)/(y − 1)
III. z > (x + 1)/(y + 1)

A. I​ only
B. I and II​
C. II and III
D. II only
E. I​ and III

This is a great question to test few properties of a fraction. The properties are -

I) If \(x>y\) and given \(a\) is a positive integer, then

\(\frac{x+a}{y+a}<\frac{x}{y}\) and \(\frac{x−a}{y−a}>\frac{x}{y}\)

II) If \(x<y\) and given that \(a\) a positive integer, then

\(\frac{x+a}{y+a}>\frac{x}{y}\) and \(\frac{x−a}{y−a}<\frac{x}{y}\)

So if you are aware of these properties then you will get the answer directly to the question Option C

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, let's use this question to derive the options

Given \(x>y\), multiply both sides by \(1\) (because in the choice given each fraction is increased/decreased by 1)

So we get \(x*1>y*1\), now add \(xy\) to both sides of the inequality

\(=>x+xy>y+xy=>x(y+1)>y(x+1)\)

or \(\frac{x}{y}>\frac{x+1}{y+1} => z>\frac{x+1}{y+1}\). Hence Statement II must be true

now multiply the inequality \(x>y\) by \(-1\)

\(=>-1*x<-1*y\), now add \(xy\) to both sides of the inequality

\(xy-x<xy-y=>x(y-1)<y(x-1)=>\frac{x}{y}<\frac{x-1}{y-1}=>z<\frac{x-1}{y-1}\). Hence Statement III must be true

Hi Bunuel,

May I request to add these properties to the Number Properties article in GC forum or book because this can be very useful for tricky questions. If its already present there, then kindly ignore. :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Schools: IMD '21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
If I plug in no`s as x=100 and y=99 then both of these no`s satisfy the inequality as per the question stem but both statement II and III stand out to be incorrect. Also in the qstn its written that both x, y are integers but nothing about z is mentioned. Z can or can`t be an integer. Can someone pl explain. @brunuel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619030 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
hassu13 wrote:
If x and y are positive integers such that \(x > y > 1\) and \(z = \frac{x}{y}\), which of the following must be true?

I. \(z > \frac{(x − 1)}{(y − 1)}\)

II. \(z < \frac{(x − 1)}{(y − 1)}\)

III. \(z > \frac{(x + 1)}{(y + 1)}\)

A. I​ only
B. I and II​
C. II and III
D. II only
E. I​ and III

If I plug in no`s as x=100 and y=99 then both of these no`s satisfy the inequality as per the question stem but both statement II and III stand out to be incorrect. Also in the qstn its written that both x, y are integers but nothing about z is mentioned. Z can or can`t be an integer. Can someone pl explain. @brunuel

If x = 100 and y = 99 both II and III ARE correct:

II. \((\frac{100}{99}=1.0101...) < (\frac{(100 − 1)}{(99 − 1)} =1.02...)\)

III. \((\frac{100}{99}=1.0101...) > (\frac{(100 + 1)}{(99 + 1)}=1.01)\)

As for your second question, yes z may or may not be an integer but this does not matter, we know that z = x/y and we can substitute this in the options and solve accordingly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
I tried to solve this algebraically

Question says X and Y and Positive + Integer and greater than 1 i.e. least value of Y can be 2 and least of X can be 3

Also z=x/y i.e. Z will always be +ve and will be greater than 1

Also, ZY = X

option I

z (y-1)> (x-1)
Zy -z > (ZY-1)
-Z> -1...
Since Z is greater than 1, negative value of Z cannot be greater than 1. Not true

Note: here though we dont know the value of x,y,z but we can multiply Y-1 both since values are positive and Y-1 is also positive.

OPTION II

By solving equation as mentioned above, result is:

-Z < -1...which is true

OPTION III

Final result is:

Z>1...which is true

Therefore, answer is C.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts