Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 567 [18]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 2.2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Of the people surveyed last Monday, 60% were homeowners. Of the people [#permalink]
Mvkumar86 wrote:
HarveyKlaus wrote:
Of the people surveyed last Monday, 60% were homeowners. Of the people surveyed last Tuesday, 40% were homeowners. Was the number of homeowners surveyed last Tuesday greater than the number of homeowners surveyed last Monday?

1) The number of people surveyed last Tuesday was 55% greater than the number of people surveyed last Monday
2) 300 people were surveyed last Monday

1) In this case, The least possible number of people surveyed on Monday is always >=100 and Tuesday >=155

so the (least possible) number of homeowners surveyed on Mondays (60) < number of homeowners surveyed on Tuesday(62)
Sufficient

2) NS. No info about Tuesday's numbers

Excellent, I was thinking the same thing. Is there a shortcut for finding out the least number of people surveyed? A lot of work to find out if 20 (monday) & 31 (tuesday 55% greater) does not yield an integer when you take 40% of 31. Same for 40 & 62, (40% of 6.2 is 6.2 * 4 ) .... until we get to 100 - 155.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Of the people surveyed last Monday, 60% were homeowners. Of the people [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
Hi HarveyKlaus,

While dealing with DS questions on percentages, ratios and word problems it is always recommended that you 'deconstruct the question'. Doing so will provide clarity on why a statement will be sufficient or insufficient.

Of the people surveyed last Monday, 60% were homeowners. Of the people surveyed last Tuesday, 40% were homeowners. Was the number of homeowners surveyed last Tuesday greater than the number of homeowners surveyed last Monday?

Let the number of people surveyed last Monday be 'x' and let the number of people surveyed last Tuesday be 'y'.

The number of homeowners surveyed last Monday will be (60/100) * x
The number of homeowners surveyed last Tuesday will be (40/100) * y

Now the question asks us 'Was the number of homeowners surveyed last Tuesday greater than the number of homeowners surveyed last Monday'. Putting this into an equation form we get

Is (40/100) * y > (60/100) * x

(60/100) * y < (40/100) * x, simplifying we get

Is 3x - 2y < 0

Statement 1 : The number of people surveyed last Tuesday was 55% greater than the number of people surveyed last Monday

If the number of people surveyed last Monday is 'x' and the number of people surveyed last Tuesday is 'y' then y = 1.55x

Substituting y - 1.55x in 3x - 2y < 0 we get

3x - 2(1.55x) < 0 -----> 3x - 3.10x < 0. This will give us a definite YES since x and y are always positive. Sufficient.

Statement 2 : 300 people were surveyed last Monday

Here we have x = 300 but do not have a definite value for y, so depending on whatever value of y we take we can either get a YES or a NO. Insufficient.

OA : A

CrackVerbal Academics Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts