Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Re: Queen's MBA Queries Invited [#permalink]
Thanks a ton for the detailed answers to my questions and brilliant initiative, I must add!

I have over 9 years of experience in all and am yet to start with my application.
After completing my undergraduate degree in Computer Science(in 2008), I had a short
stint with Infosys Technologies(about 27 months) in a Software engineer's role.
Since 2011, I have been part of my family owned business(a ready-made garment chain
of stores in Retail based out of Chennai). This is one reason I am a bit skeptical of the job
prospects - not having corporate work experience in the last 7 years. If its difficult as is,
it would be made additionally difficult for a candidate like me.

I had given the GMAT in October last year. Will be re-taking in the next couple of months
and filling an early application for the next year intake!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hello monisha2208,

I m from chemical engineering background and currently working as technical consultant for oil & gas market in India and Middle East. I have overall 3years of work experience and would be giving GMAT in coming June.

I heard about Queen's 12month MBA full time program and found it to be fascinating for me who has mid level work experience. I have visited Queen's business school website and gathered information about available courses and fees and financial aid. The point where I stuck is which course or specialization would be good for my profile. I m planning to apply to Queen's in coming August or September for the class of 2020.

I m more oriented towards MBA in consulting from Queen's B'school.

I would like to hear more about admission criteria from you. On what qualities the candidate is selected for the program? Moreover I have low GPA concern so is there any GPA criteria at QBS?

Kindly guide me!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Lalit bhole wrote:
Hello monisha2208,

I m from chemical engineering background and currently working as technical consultant for oil & gas market in India and Middle East. I have overall 3years of work experience and would be giving GMAT in coming June.

I heard about Queen's 12month MBA full time program and found it to be fascinating for me who has mid level work experience. I have visited Queen's business school website and gathered information about available courses and fees and financial aid. The point where I stuck is which course or specialization would be good for my profile. I m planning to apply to Queen's in coming August or September for the class of 2020.

I m more oriented towards MBA in consulting from Queen's B'school.

I would like to hear more about admission criteria from you. On what qualities the candidate is selected for the program? Moreover I have low GPA concern so is there any GPA criteria at QBS?

Kindly guide me!

Hey Lalit,

Your background is interesting, GMAT is something you should focus on.

Specialization is not the only option for you when you join this program. You can also tailor your electives as per your interests. I will not be the correct person guiding you on this, in addition, when you join the program you might have different experiences. I would suggest to focus on the application process and have a clear understanding of where you want to be post MBA for now. Your path towards that goal will be clear once you are here. If you are interested in say Consulting, read about it, talk to people who are in consulting, understand how they work, what skills they require etc. In short be ready for these questions if asked. This will also make you ready towards developing these skills when you are in the MBA program. I think since you are consultant already this should come in handy for you. I was just stating that where ever you want to end up post MBA, do your research properly.

I am unclear whether you are applying for Jan'19 intake. If yes, August and September will be really cut-throat, since admission process has already begun and since Queens recruits on rolling, there might be very few seats for international students then. Also, it will not give you enough time for Visa processes. Please begin your application as early as possible for advantage in both aspects, try and complete your application in June. Please let me know which intake you are targeting.

Entering into Queens MBA is highly competitive and you will need to work hard on your application process. Your overall application (GMAT, educational and professional background, Extra-curriculars, cover letters, recommendations, your video essays and interview) is considered. They view the application in its entirety. GPA has weight-age but you can overcome the low GPA with strong application but that is something you will need to figure out.

Please listen to below and this will help you understand the program better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpbm56AHGjM

I hope I have been of help to you. Please let me know if you need anyother help.
I might take few days to reply, but I will reply for sure.

Cheers,
Monisha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
pushpitkc wrote:
Thanks a ton for the detailed answers to my questions and brilliant initiative, I must add!

I have over 9 years of experience in all and am yet to start with my application.
After completing my undergraduate degree in Computer Science(in 2008), I had a short
stint with Infosys Technologies(about 27 months) in a Software engineer's role.
Since 2011, I have been part of my family owned business(a ready-made garment chain
of stores in Retail based out of Chennai). This is one reason I am a bit skeptical of the job
prospects - not having corporate work experience in the last 7 years. If its difficult as is,
it would be made additionally difficult for a candidate like me.

I had given the GMAT in October last year. Will be re-taking in the next couple of months
and filling an early application for the next year intake!

There have been many international students who had >8 yrs exp. Your profile is really impressive and might suit the Queens prospective students' profile. Since, I do not know about your GMAT I am not sure. I would suggest to get in touch with admissions officers at Queens. They keep on visiting India, try and meet them when they are there. It would really clarify your doubts.
Admissions for next year have already started and I would suggest to complete your application asap, since its an on rolling basis.

Let me know if you need any other help.
I might take few days to reply but I will reply for sure.

Cheers,
Monisha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
monisha2208 wrote:
Hello Everyone!
I am a current student of Queen's MBA Class of 2019.
Less than I year ago I was in your shoes trying to get more information on the program.

I am more than happy to answer any of your queries you have.

Best Wishes,
Monisha Singh

Are you able to give insight into being rejected during the preliminary review by the application advisor?

Here is the post I posted (below), a mod suggested I ask a current student, The whole thing seems really bizarre. The only two interactions I have had with Queens are 1. my older brother finished his medical school residency there 2. I was accepted for an MPA but withdrew my acceptance and think it's possible I have been blacklisted going forward. All materials on queens website says all applications are considered in their entirety and after references are checked. Also their chat support said multiple times that they consider the whole application and that the acceptance committee sits for review of full applications only.

Original Post:
"I admit I was shocked to get an email from an advisor saying she would not proceed with my application.
Has this happened to anyone else? Is this supposed to happen this early before I even submit a full file?
She claimed the admission committee did a cursory review but I suspect she meant the application advisors reviewed it and for some reason decided not to advocate for me.

I only submitted the preliminary review information (Step 1 items). Which was basically my resume and the online form, no gmat, no references, no essays or responses.

Is this normal or has this happened to anyone else? No where in the steps to apply does it say that the application advisor will reject your application before you can even submit a full file. The website seems to indicate the advisor's role is to support your file not make a decision on it. I would have an easier time accepting this decision but I believe my resume is strong (or least strong enough to be given a chance to apply).
1. I have worked in a big four consulting firm, straight out of my undergraduate degree, as a Consultant (skipped over Analyst). This was a post-MBA position for most. Even some friends I knew from bcomm started as Analysts (position below me) at the same firm.
2. I then worked as a Communications Advisor advising senior management and the CEO of a large organization. This job paid almost 100k. The CEO is my reference and is doing his executive MBA at Queens right now.
3. I also worked in political campaigns and worked with Hewlett Packard and the government in co-ops.

All she saw was my resume and says I cannot continue with my application. My MBA friends who graduated Queens encouraged me to apply there, many referencing my strong work experience. Some were accepted to Queens with much less work experience.
I honestly believe she or the other advisors just decided they didn't want to represent me and that the admission committee did not actually sit for a cursory review of my highly incomplete file. According to Queen's website the advisors are supposed to take you through the next stages of your application but she will not allow me to proceed further. Do I have any recourse in this situation? Any help or if others experienced the same, would be great to know. thanks!"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Schools: Desautels '21
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
monisha2208 wrote:
Hello Everyone!
I am a current student of Queen's MBA Class of 2019.
Less than I year ago I was in your shoes trying to get more information on the program.

I am more than happy to answer any of your queries you have.

Best Wishes,
Monisha Singh
Thanks for the efforts to help prospective candidates like us Monisha!

After my mechanical engineering degree, I worked for an engineering services company for two years. From there I moved to start my own company which I ran for a year after which I joined a startup, in which I am still working as the head of business development. The company that I work for is small but I have varied experience in marketing, sales, new product development and customer support. My post MBA plan is to be in a sales/marketing role at a tech product company. I have a 720 in my gmat. How well do you think I fit in the queen's MBA program? I would be glad to hear your suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q46 V42
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Monisha,

My name is Karthik. I am an Instrumentation engineer with 10.5 years of work experience in the power generation sector with a large Public Sector Undertaking (PSU).
I am planning to apply to Queens 1 year program starting Jan 2019.
Planning to move into a general management or consulting role post MBA.
My experience is mostly in the operations and energy management domain.

Acads:

X : 84
XII : 79.6
B Tech : 69 (First Class - from a Government College in Kerala affiliated to Uni. of Calicut)

Targeting a GMAT score of 700+ to compensate for my average acads (I had scored a 660 without much prep a couple of months back - will be re-taking it very soon).

Additional Certifications/Qualifications :

Certified Energy Auditor - Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), Ministry of Power, Government of India
Certificate in Project Management - IPMA
Completed a company sponsored online learning module from HBS delivered through Harvard Business Publishing.

Accomplishments:

Rated outstanding employee for 5 years.
Received appreciation letters/commendations multiple times.
Member of experts group constituted at corporate level for effective operations of capacity amounting to 6 GW.
Have carried out energy audits in other power stations and suggested performance improvement measures.

Extra Curricular:

Organised a GoI initiated awareness campaign for energy conservation in Lakshadweep islands.
Published papers in National level conference (paper was selected for oral presentation)
Represented the business unit in various company level competitions multiple times at national level and
also in southern regional round of AIMA National Competition for Young Managers (NCYM). Received accolades for the same.
Was member of an NGO and coordinated efforts to provide medical aid to needy patients in the area.
Helped train engineering students through internships and plant familiarisation programs.
Was formerly part of a music group that performed multiple times in the locality.
Was student coordinator of Placement,Training and Information Bureau of the college during undergrad.

Please evaluate my profile and do frankly suggest if Queens would be a good fit for my post MBA goals. Concerned if I am on the wrong side as far as age is concerned.

Thanks in advance

Karthik
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Smith Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Smith Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Smith Forum for all fresh things related to the Smith MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts