Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V32
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V32
Send PM
Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Businessconquerer wrote:
spkumar830616 wrote:
Hi

I re-took my GMAT today and scored 650 (Q48,V33), IR-5. My first attempt score was 620 (Q47,V29).

I am male, 35, India, with work experience of 13+ years predominantly in PSUs. 11 months in HAL, Sukohi-30MKI assembly, 6-months in NMDC, Iron-ore mines and since 2007 in a steel PSU.

Academics:

Xth - 73.5% Army School
XIIth - 80% Army School
B Tech (Electrical & Electronics Engineering) from MAHATMA GANDHI INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, HYDERABAD - 63.5%

Extra-Ciricular activities

Won many elocution and debate competitions at the school level and even at my workplace.
Have participated twice in National Competition for Young Managers, NCYM held by AIMA. Secured regional 3rd once in Kolkata.
Work as a faculty at the workplace (apart from my regular work) as a part of the Skill Development initiative by National Skill Development Corporation, Govt. Of India.
Passion for biking. I have been a part of a few biking expeditions (self-organized).
I am a life member of the Youth Hostels Association of India, YHAI and participated in National Himalayan Trekking Expedition-SARPASS.
Later, a knee injury in an accident led me to quit my adventurous side.
After recuperating from my injury, started a software, data entry startup (20 seaters) along with my wife. (As I work for a PSU, I cannot hold any office of profit)
But, being in a tier-2 city made it difficult for the start-up to sustain as getting projects was extremely difficult and the market was full of fraudsters. After running the start-up for a year and a half, handed over to one of our influential partners.

Why MBA?

I feel after so many years in PSUs, my career has hit a plateau and further, I see little scope of growth. It is difficult to rise in a PSU, even when equipped with a suitable skill set.
I feel a 1 year MBA would equip me with a definite skill set, apart from honing my existing ones, that would allow for a career shift within the domain of operations and strategy. I am looking forward to a more challenging work environment that would boost my career. I am looking forward for a domain change too but not at the cost of losing perspective of my 13+ years of experience in operations.

Target Schools
ISB, IIM-A, B, C, I
I have not thought of schools outside India, but would welcome suggestions.

Suggestions
Is my score worth it?
Or am I aiming too high?
Should I retake GMAT?...With the Round-1 deadline of IIM-A on 27th Aug 2019, I have very little time to decide. I can't just apply for the sake of it as my boss will have to give his LOR and I don't want to spill beans if I am not sure of an interview call at least.

Please evaluate my profile.

Thanks in advance.

Take a shot, I must admit the category you're filling in for isn't very competitive, 1 year pgpx, no biggie.

The only issue is the consistently low GPA.
What were your roles and responsibilities?

And promotions plz

Thank You for the advice

Roles and responsibilities
At HAL I was part of a team looking over Final Assembly of Sukhoi-30MKI multi-role combat aircraft. I was in charge of the electrical section but often the lines of discipline were blurred and the team used to oversee the job holistically.
NMDC was a short stint at open-cast iron-ore mines, basically looking over electrical maintenance part.
At my current workplace, a steel PSU, I started as a Management Trainee(Technical). Primarily looking after electrical maintenance of equipment in Steel Melt Shop. Promotions were mostly time-bound as per policy - Junior Manager, Assistant Manager, Deputy Manager and now Manager.
But my responsibilities have not changed much over the years - it is electrical maintenance. I had the opportunity to be in procurement and planning activities, that gave me a chance to look at the functioning of a huge organization from a supply-chain management perspective. I visited Dalian, China to have the first-hand experience of new equipment that the company had procured as a part of massive expansion and modernization. Further, I was a part of the modernization team, which gave me a deep insight into various commissioning activities of a huge plant such as ours.
Of late, I have been a part of Consultancy firm (Read McKinsey & Company) which was hired to increase the profitability of our organization..(yes, we r in losses!!!) Being a part of a global consulting company has given me an opportunity to look at broader aspects of the organization. Logistics, supply chain management at the plant level, marketing of steel and the functioning of other departments (it is highly unlikely for us to visit other departments during our lifetime unless we are transferred).
For the record, I am the only non-metallurgist from the whole organization (of strength >6000 executives and >18000 employees as a whole) who was selected in the McKinsey team. And I feel this has been the greatest responsibility till date at my work-place.

With this kind of job role and responsibilities, please provide further insights.

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hey Guys - Please evaluate my profile :

Nationality - Indian
GMAT: 640 (Q48,V29,IR6)

Work Experience( Total): Full time: 11 years
1) 1 year as a Process Associate at a Business Process Outsourcing company.
2) 5.5 years as a officer at State Bank of India.
3) 3 years experience in handling family business.
4) 2.5 years working for my own company (in the travel and tourism industry) (Most Recent)

Education: Bachelor of Commerce (Lucknow University) (4 -CGPA)
Class XII - ICSE (77.40 %)
Class X - ICSE (77.00%)

ECA - 1) Sports Team at the School and University Level.
2) Involved in assisting the Forest Department for a variety of activities such as census,awareness camps.
3) Best Trainee Award at SBI.

I 'm targeting the following Colleges -

1) ISB - India
2) NUS - Singapore
3) Rotman - Canada.
4) Esade - Spain
5) Mannheim - Germany.
6) IE - Spain.
7) Tepper - USA.
8) Schulich - Canada.
9) Melbourne - Australia.
10) AGSM - Australia.